STAR WARS: EP. I--The Phantom Menace in 3D: 2/10/12

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are your reasons? I think we're all saddened by Qui-Gon and Darth Maul because they were so good... and it didn't get better for ep2 and ep3.

In ep2 we were supposed to see what good friends Obi-Wan and Anakin were. They kept saying it but it didn't show on screen.

Jango Fett wasn't very satisfying and he got a lousy death too. I don't think he did enough bad to deserve losing his head.

Count Dooku is a great performance by Christopher Lee but... he's still a stunt guy with an old guy composited over his head fighting a digital creature. He also loses his head.

General Grievous... biggest waste of a character I thought. He looked cool but talked like a moron, coughed and weazed and was only missing a monocle and mustache to make him the ultimate villain. His lightsaber duel with Obi-Wan was pretty lame and not believable, even in the star wars universe. At least he had a cooler death visually.

Nothing beat Darth Maul's double bladed lightsaber in cool factor, which is kinda sad when you think about it.

And one of the worst crimes of ep2 and ep3 besides Hayden... CG clone troopers. Not a single one of them are real! You can even tell when it's a CG Jango because his visor reflects more fake light than it would if it were real. That's lazy, George.

Well said. At least Ep1 had Maul and Qui-Gon. Best two characters in the prequels.

I think calling Maul an actual character is pushing it. He's more or less a plot device. And so you guys don't think I have a double standard Boba Fett is probably on the same level "characterwise". Qui-Gon is awesome, 2nd best character in the prequels.

You know what's kinda lopsided about that comparison is that the original trilogy was almost less about being a Jedi and more about being part of something bigger. About teamwork. And it's the costume that Luke is never fighting in.

Anakin's costume is from Ep3 and he's in the same outfit throughout until he gets suited up as Vader. But in that costume, he's a pilot, he's a fighter, he's a lover. You can be anything in the Anakin costume... even a good actor.

Which still beats Hayden who can't act at all. :lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly:

Wow... we actually agree on something!

I think calling Maul an actual character is pushing it. He's more or less a plot device. And so you guys don't think I have a double standard Boba Fett is probably on the same level "characterwise". Qui-Gon is awesome, 2nd best character in the prequels.

Plot device or not, there's something said for someone who can stand there in silence and have his presence felt and leave an impression. Maybe it's because George sucks at dialogue so the character that was the most awesome is the one who is almost a mute!

And still... even as a plot device, he's way cooler than anything else Lucas created for the prequels. Darth Maul/Ray Park was just too good and he failed to deliver the goods in the films that followed.

Plot device or not, there's something said for someone who can stand there in silence and have his presence felt and leave an impression. Maybe it's because George sucks at dialogue so the character that was the most awesome is the one who is almost a mute!

And still... even as a plot device, he's way cooler than anything else Lucas created for the prequels. Darth Maul/Ray Park was just too good and he failed to deliver the goods in the films that followed.

What's funny is that even with so-so dialogue and some truly awful set-ups ("I was wondering, what are midichlorians") Neeson is still able to deliver lines convincingly and with dignity. Takes a good actor to pull that off with material and apparent lack of direction given.

Also, one odd thing I noticed in the PT (morose than the OT) are poorly composed shots where two people are just standing in a very unconvincing way to discuss some plot point. Some of these parts just feel very ametuerish.

So to all of you hating on the TPM 3D poster what do you think of all the new Marvel movie posters? Iron Man, Thor, Cap, etc. Aren't they all in the same style? I don't recall anyone complaining about those.

iron-man-movie-poster-6.jpg

star-wars-phantom-menace-3D-poster.jpg

There are a few scenes (I think where he's flying in) where Jango is clearly a poorly done CGI character. I wasn't looking for it, but it definitey stuck out.

The other thing I now can't not notice in AOTC is the fake beard shots of Kenobi; that thing is laughably bad :lol

EDIT Doh, guess I got my letters mixed up... yes CG, or CGI was what I intended :duh

So to all of you hating on the TPM 3D poster what do you think of all the new Marvel movie posters? Iron Man, Thor, Cap, etc. Aren't they all in the same style? I don't recall anyone complaining about those.

star-wars-phantom-menace-3D-poster.jpg

Oh, no... those suck, too.

Most of today's movie posters and DVD covers are Photoshopped junk.

You've never heard of Gift Card Jango? He sucks. :cool:

:mwaha :mwaha

There are a few scenes (I think where he's flying in) where Jango is clearly a poorly done CGI character. I wasn't looking for it, but it definitey stuck out.

The other thing I now can't not notice in AOTC is the fake beard shots of Kenobi; that thing is laughably bad :lol

EDIT Doh, guess I got my letters mixed up... yes CG, or CGI was what I intended :duh

Wow, those observations are interesting, do you hav pics of those :)

The iron man poster had good arrangement of elements
The TPM poster looked like they just placed characters where there's space :gah:

What's funny is that even with so-so dialogue and some truly awful set-ups ("I was wondering, what are midichlorians") Neeson is still able to deliver lines convincingly and with dignity. Takes a good actor to pull that off with material and apparent lack of direction given.

Also, one odd thing I noticed in the PT (morose than the OT) are poorly composed shots where two people are just standing in a very unconvincing way to discuss some plot point. Some of these parts just feel very ametuerish.

That's why Ewan MacGregor is so awesome as Obi-Wan...just think if he were in a better movie! LOTR quality! :drool

That still sucks, it's like Struzan without the paint. And yes paint matters.

Oh, no... those suck, too.

Most of today's movie posters and DVD covers are Photoshopped junk.

:goodpost: I think that's why the MONDO stuff is so cool...even though it's impossible to acquire.

Its the composition of the poster that's the issue and the, (big word here guys), juxtaposition of the characters that ruin the poster moreso than the effects etc.
As for the films, Lucas' bold pioneering move to film mainly using green screen, failed on an epic scale. His wooden script was exposed along with his rusty direction as these actors had bugger all to emerse themselves in or react to other than each other. The end product felt cold. Reminded me of an old British kids TV show called "Dundgeon Master"
When old man Lucas eventually becomes one with the force, i'd like to see all 6 remade from the ground up with better thought given to story and script. It'd also be awesome seeing a redesign of the SW universe

Yes on both of your points. Liam Neeson took some pretty elementary dialogue and made it believable. Captain Panaka was mostly solid as was Ewan McGregor and for the most part Natalie Portman. And Palpatine, Sio Bibble, Valorum... all good actors too.

Watto, Sebulba were all great characters. Jar Jar wasn't a bad actor... just an annoying one and he was written that way, which makes it completely Lucas' fault. Even 3PO has a line that says "I find that Jar Jar character rather odd." Could have made Jar Jar less annoying and eliminated that line out completely. It's one thing to have the audience feel something but if you acknowledge in the film, that's pretty bad.

Ric Olie and the other Naboo pilots were pretty mediocre too. Boss Nass is a bit annoying but I liked Captain Tarpals.

Overall, I think Ep1 had the strongest performers when it came to acting.

Regarding all the really awkward establishing shots of two people talking, I completely agree. It's always an awkward moment too. You get a long shot of Padme's home. Then it's closer onto the balcony while you see Anakin watching Padme comb her hair. And then closer again. And then "you are so beautiful." "because I'm so in love." "no, because I'm so in love with you."

Frick,Anakin's dialogue in ep2 and ep3 is the worst. He'll always just take what Padme says and turn it around.

Padme: Ani, I won't die in childbirth, I promise you.
Anakin: No, I promise you.

.... ?

awkward.

Re: Iron Man poster, that's actually among the better photoshop entries I've seen. It has a feeling of a Drew Struzan poster while being photoshopped but at least everyone looks in the right pose. The Phantom Menace poster, everyone is awkwardly shoe-horned in. There's no direction. It's a terrible composition.

top left border is pointed top right is rounded and the bottom left inner frame looks pushed in or warped
maybe these are in a special case for a 3d affect?

Back