STAR WARS: EP. I--The Phantom Menace in 3D: 2/10/12

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could they have found a more indifferent looking Yoda for the poster? Geez look at him. Even Yoda is yawning at the 3D.

top left border is pointed top right is rounded and the bottom left inner frame looks pushed in or warped
maybe these are in a special case for a 3d affect?

is it possible its meant to look like the characters are coming out of a poster...look at what appears to be mid tears in the poster, mid way up on both sides?????
I'm not a fan at all of this poster, but hopefully this is just pre-liminary.
hopefully we will get an amazing Struzan suprise closer to release.

yeah i see that as well
but for whatever reason its still the most awkward poster ive seen in recent memory lol

I actually agree with the dismay over the lost art of painted movie posters. Unfortunately its far from a SW or Lucas issue.

Look at how awesome the animated LOTR movie poster is compared to the live-action FOTR:

257650.1020.A.jpg
189521.1020.A.jpg

Not that FOTR is terrible but it was so much better painted.

Even compare the first HP film to the generic cookie cutter drek that they decided to go with later on:

142961.1020.A.jpg
401562.1020.A.jpg

It really is a shame.

Never liked the "sell-sheet" style where its just a bunch of actor's faces crowded together.

Old Bond posters have some of the best artwork...and most gotta-see-it images!

5-bigposter.jpg

thunderball_2os.jpg

Wow, great comparisons! This is actually really super fun, guys, I'm digging seeing all the art.

I think Fellowship of the Ring was actually a pretty solid poster regardless of what medium they went with. The two that followed were mediocre at best:

Two Towers has just heads floating randomly... not a real composition here since they're within the two towers.

the-lord-of-the-rings-the-two-towers-poster-3.jpg

Return of the king is better but... it's still an awkward display of characters and you're leaving out the rest of the gang.
return_of_the_king_poster.jpg

On Harry Potter, the posters that followed Sorcerer's Stone were atrocious. But I'm also not a fan of what Drew Struzan came up with Chamber of Secrets... (not a fan of the color palette and the stars)...
600full-harry-potter-and-the-chamber-of-secrets-artwork.jpg

But getting back on topic here... this is Struzan's Ep1 poster.
star_wars_episode_one_the_phantom_menace_ver2.jpg

Yeah the Fellowship poster is good I just wish they had picked a better expression for Frodo (not so constipated) and that it didn't feature Aragorn in his Helm's Deep armor.

Yeah those Bond ones were awesome. And even though the 1976 King Kong movie was kind of weak damn it had an awesome poster:

Yes it did. And all those disaster movies of the 70's: Poseidon, Towering Inferno, Earthquake... amazing artwork that has been lost on the new generation who like bobbleheads on their one-sheets. Yuck. Do you really want any modern poster hanging on your wall? Bunch of actors watching you all night?

As with all things, its probably what you grew up with...

Here's the disaster posters, come one, they're awesome...

220px-PoseidonAdventure.jpg
displayimage.php
earthquake-movie-poster-1974-1010193284.jpg

I was too young for the Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, and Earthquake but I can certainly appreciate good movie art when I see them.

But hehe.. I do own each and every soundtrack to those movies because they're John Williams. Not his best, but the 70s were never touted as the best.

I was too young for the Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, and Earthquake but I can certainly appreciate good movie art when I see them.

But hehe.. I do own each and every soundtrack to those movies because they're John Williams. Not his best, but the 70s were never touted as the best.

Then you have the posters on the CDs. I also collect movie music, have since I was 9 years old. Towering Inferno isn't a bad score, at least the last track -- that long ass 10 minute track -- is cool. Or was back in the day. :)

Still love Williams scores from Lost in Space -- many tricks used there can be found throughout all his greatest work.

Then you have the posters on the CDs. I also collect movie music, have since I was 9 years old. Towering Inferno isn't a bad score, at least the last track -- that long ass 10 minute track -- is cool. Or was back in the day. :)

Still love Williams scores from Lost in Space -- many tricks used there can be found throughout all his greatest work.

Hehe yes I've seen the artwork but not for Poseidon Adventure. The CD i had was basically a bunch of people looking shocked.

Speaking of Williams, can't wait for the TIN TIN soundtrack! First John Williams score since Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!

Getting back to SW this is my favorite prequel poster:

STARWARSSITHCIRCUS.jpg

Even better than Struzan's PT work IMO (though its an obvious homage to Struzan's 1978 ANH art). I picked one up back when starwarsshop.com was selling them a few years back.

I like the idea of that, Khev, but I don't like that they ripped off the original poster completely. Plus, Anakin is way off. But nice try, Matt Busch!

Back