STAR WARS: EP. I--The Phantom Menace in 3D: 2/10/12

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of that, Khev, but I don't like that they ripped off the original poster completely. Plus, Anakin is way off. But nice try, Matt Busch!

I don't consider it a rip-off. It was sold as a package with the original Struzan 1978 poster. They look pretty awesome side by side.

STARWARSSITHCIRCUS.jpg

I don't consider it a rip-off. It was sold as a package with the original Struzan 1978 poster. They look pretty awesome side by side.

Even if you don't consider it one, it kind of is, even when it's an officially commissioned homage. Original is still way better though.
star_wars_circus_style.jpg

On the subject of posters... which of these Struzan Sith designs would you prefer?

Ep-III-comp-4-660.jpg

229042-sith2.jpg

I like the official release but kind of prefer the symmetrical aspects of Vader being in the center. And Emperor's likeness is a bit off (he looks more like that guy in Braveheart), and Mace Windu should be wearing his Jedi Robes.

I think the sketch is just a little too static for my tastes with Anakin and Obi-Wan just standing there when you consider all that happened in ROTS. Also too much of Vader is obscured IMO. I understand the traditional theme of Vader looming in the background but that just looks like someone was trying to take a picture of him but Obi-Wan and Anakin refused to get out of the way.

All this talk about photoshop compared to Struzan paint is funny since he obviously digitally manipulates the compositions of his paintings to rearrange or resize characters as he sees fit.

All this talk about photoshop compared to Struzan paint is funny since he obviously digitally manipulates the compositions of his paintings to rearrange or resize characters as he sees fit.

Actually in interviews he has said quite the opposite (meaning Lucasfilm moves things around). He has done alternate versions of a posters too but if I remember right the Episode III poster was altered digitally I am sure Carl could elaborate.

I don't know that he manipulates with Photoshop, but he does reference directly from photos.

Doesn't really matter, it all comes down to his drawing technique. And it's amazing how quickly he can do that stuff.

Kinda like with the music--it's very surprising to me that John Williams can do a whole score like Star Wars in just a month.

I think the sketch is just a little too static for my tastes with Anakin and Obi-Wan just standing there when you consider all that happened in ROTS. Also too much of Vader is obscured IMO. I understand the traditional theme of Vader looming in the background but that just looks like someone was trying to take a picture of him but Obi-Wan and Anakin refused to get out of the way.

I agree, it was a bit static with Obi-Wan and Anakin just standing there. It needed the clash in the center. But personally I prefer Vader to be more obscured than it was in the official poster. Vader is just a cameo at the very end of the film. He doesn't do anything that would suggest VADER IS IN THIS AND IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME! Quite the contrary sadly. NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Seeing that trailer reminds me how I felt watching TPM for the first time. It has its flaws, but it was still a great experience. It was also interesting to see how some aspects of it made me really excited and some made me do something between a cringe and silent groan.

Seeing that trailer reminds me how I felt watching TPM for the first time. It has its flaws, but it was still a great experience. It was also interesting to see how some aspects of it made me really excited and some made me do something between a cringe and silent groan.

I'm gonna guess all scenes with lil Annie made you do a silent groan. lol

What can I say about TPM that hasn't already been said? It's my favorite of the prequels even ten years after the fact. It has a sense of fun that A New Hope and Return of the Jedi had. The humor was forced but I think the rest of the movie was at least thought out fairly well.

And the thing about Ep1 is, the ones that came after weren't reliant on how good or bad Ep1 was. With Ep1, I was taken back into the Star Wars world in a way I haven't seen before and nothing was really destroyed about it with the exception of midichlorians. I loved the new worlds and the way the senate was handled was fascinating to me. And honestly... I liked the podrace. Visually, it was really a lot of fun and even when extended for the DVD, I thought it was even better because it really showed Anakin as a capable pilot. Not his goofy accidental space adventure later.

Also... I saw Ep1 9 times in the theater when it first came out all summer long. NINE TIMES. If it was that bad of a movie, I wouldn't be able to do that. Five of those trips were in the first few days and a lot of that was just excitement. But the following 4 times, I took people who never seen Star Wars before and the overall reviews were favorable. My PARENTS... who don't see many movies really liked it. My dad said "good movie". The only time he said that since then was after The Incredibles.

Ep2 I couldn't stand to watch more than twice in the theaters. Again, I took my parents just to bring them more into my interests and they had nothing positive to say. They were exhausted.

Ep3 I saw three times in the theater. My parents were glad that it was the last of them.

Fast forward to the Blu Ray. I was able to watch Ep1 in one night. Ep2, three nights. Ep3, also three nights because I kept falling asleep.

I admit that the story we care about is in Ep2 and Ep3 but Ep1 is just a more solid film and more entertaining overall with fewer missteps. Ep1 felt more like an original thing where as there were things in Ep2 and Ep3 that felt like they were put in just for the fan boys.

The scene with Anakin not knowing what he's doing in the starfighter and the quick glimpse of the under construction 3PO were my groans. :lol

It really is too bad that AOTC and ROTS turned out so lackluster. I really like them, but when I think about what could have been... I think they had the potential to be the best two movies in the series.

I admit that the story we care about is in Ep2 and Ep3 but Ep1 is just a more solid film and more entertaining overall with fewer missteps. Ep1 felt more like an original thing where as there were things in Ep2 and Ep3 that felt like they were put in just for the fan boys.

:goodpost: especially Ep3 seemed more like a merchandise ad than a movie with a story (all those color coded legions :gah:)

I'm gonna guess all scenes with lil Annie made you do a silent groan. lol

What can I say about TPM that hasn't already been said? It's my favorite of the prequels even ten years after the fact. It has a sense of fun that A New Hope and Return of the Jedi had. The humor was forced but I think the rest of the movie was at least thought out fairly well.

And the thing about Ep1 is, the ones that came after weren't reliant on how good or bad Ep1 was. With Ep1, I was taken back into the Star Wars world in a way I haven't seen before and nothing was really destroyed about it with the exception of midichlorians. I loved the new worlds and the way the senate was handled was fascinating to me. And honestly... I liked the podrace. Visually, it was really a lot of fun and even when extended for the DVD, I thought it was even better because it really showed Anakin as a capable pilot. Not his goofy accidental space adventure later.

Also... I saw Ep1 9 times in the theater when it first came out all summer long. NINE TIMES. If it was that bad of a movie, I wouldn't be able to do that. Five of those trips were in the first few days and a lot of that was just excitement. But the following 4 times, I took people who never seen Star Wars before and the overall reviews were favorable. My PARENTS... who don't see many movies really liked it. My dad said "good movie". The only time he said that since then was after The Incredibles.

Ep2 I couldn't stand to watch more than twice in the theaters. Again, I took my parents just to bring them more into my interests and they had nothing positive to say. They were exhausted.

Ep3 I saw three times in the theater. My parents were glad that it was the last of them.

Fast forward to the Blu Ray. I was able to watch Ep1 in one night. Ep2, three nights. Ep3, also three nights because I kept falling asleep.

You may be the biggest advocate for this movie!!

Back