STAR WARS: EP. I--The Phantom Menace in 3D: 2/10/12

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the thing is,they say it lacks the true 3-d effect,and there is no depth in the pictures,no real 3-d feeling at all

I was at a 3d movie last weekend and they showed the preview trailers in 3d also, but didn't show TPM even though it's coming out Feb. 10? I wondered why and thought it strange? I would have liked to seen the trailer and 3d effects to see if I would go or not. But I believe your right krieg-der-sterne, it probably would not have looked good compared to the other trailers and the featured movie that were made for 3d.:dunno BTW, I like 3d movies. Don't shoot the messenger, just buyer beware, don't go for the 3d only!

Last edited:
This thread took a left turn towards L A M E. :sleep

You're right. It needs more Jar Jar.

jarjar.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a 3D film had to be shot using special cameras? Didn't Avatar use special cameras developed just for that film? Can you convert a film to "true" 3d?

No, you can't convert a movie to true 3D.

Here's what conversion is like

For the most part, they will go through and separate out elements into layers, and then create a new camera with those layers slightly offset to create the illusion of having the two 3D camera perspectives. That's why in some cases the elements in 3D conversions look like cardboard cutouts moving around.

In other cases, say if there's a closeup of a person or something is moving pretty far in distances they will actually recreate geometry and map the footage onto the geometry so it has actual 3D.

But there are various issues, like with characters it's difficult to deal with hair (since it's hard to separate out, and in some cases it's too complex to put onto geometry) or things like smoke or many particles (water splashes, dirt).

That's why 3D conversions have problems, there's a difficulty in figuring out actual 3D space, and then the issue of recreating background elements that would become visible to the new camera view.

For something like this, they would go back to the original 3D models that they used to create the shots as much as possible and the compositions where elements are already separated out (at least for FX shots). For instance, when they did Toy Story 1 & 2 in 3D since it was all computer animation they just went back to the original files and they already had perfect 3D.

So for Star Wars, many FX can get proper 3D since they already have geometry, but in any live-action or miniature elements they'll have to do the same conversion like I was explaining.

For the most part, they will go through and separate out elements into layers, and then create a new camera with those layers slightly offset to create the illusion of having the two 3D camera perspectives. That's why in some cases the elements in 3D conversions look like cardboard cutouts moving around.

In other cases, say if there's a closeup of a person or something is moving pretty far in distances they will actually recreate geometry and map the footage onto the geometry so it has actual 3D.

But there are various issues, like with characters it's difficult to deal with hair (since it's hard to separate out, and in some cases it's too complex to put onto geometry) or things like smoke or many particles (water splashes, dirt).

That's why 3D conversions have problems, there's a difficulty in figuring out actual 3D space, and then the issue of recreating background elements that would become visible to the new camera view.

For something like this, they would go back to the original 3D models that they used to create the shots as much as possible and the compositions where elements are already separated out (at least for FX shots). For instance, when they did Toy Story 1 & 2 in 3D since it was all computer animation they just went back to the original files and they already had perfect 3D.

So for Star Wars, many FX can get proper 3D since they already have geometry, but in any live-action or miniature elements they'll have to do the same conversion like I was explaining.

Interesting thank you sir. So going back to Avatar, it was shot in 3D and then down converted to 2D? Or was it shot in 2d as well?

Interesting thank you sir. So going back to Avatar, it was shot in 3D and then down converted to 2D? Or was it shot in 2d as well?

It was shot in 3D (which means double rendering for the FX hah)

In 3D they have two cameras recording, one for each eye, having two eyes is what gives things a 3D effect so 3D movies simulate that by having two cameras that try and show what the eyes would actually see. The glasses are a way to make sure that each eye sees the correct image on the screen (in this case each eye would see a different image). So if they want to show a 3D movie in 2D all they have to do is just show one of the images on screen rather than both.

I hope this would be a success for them to want to make the rest in 3-D, because I wanted to watch Ep3 in the cinema which I missed in 05'. Anyway, we all know this movie well. I seen Ep1 dozens of times, twice in the cinema way back but to experience it in 3-D is something I look forward to..., if I got the time!

The 3D pod race in Star Tours was awesome. Hopefully at least that scene translates well.

AOTC might actually fare the best with a 3D conversion. Coruscant speeder chase, asteroid chase, and arena/clone battle could look unbelievably awesome.

The 3D pod race in Star Tours was awesome. Hopefully at least that scene translates well.

AOTC might actually fare the best with a 3D conversion. Coruscant speeder chase, asteroid chase, and arena/clone battle could look unbelievably awesome.

I think ESB asteroid scene would rock. No pun intended.

No doubt. I was just going with the AOTC scenes since those were CG and not miniatures.

If they can get a nice conversion out of the miniatures then the attack on both Death Stars, Hoth battle, and as you said ESB asteroids should be incredibly epic as well.

In essense, it's not really complete 3D. More like watching moving layers of cut-outs.

If they re-released these movies in 2D, I'd be more inclined to buy a theater ticket.. and also if they started with Episode II (AOTC may have had its issues, but they were nowhere near as bad as TPM's). :monkey1

the thing is,they say it lacks the true 3-d effect,and there is no depth in the pictures,no real 3-d feeling at all

Even though I assumed that I will still go there on Wednesday. Just because its a star wars movie on big screen, don't care about 2D or 3D. Have a big LCD TV at home but still I have two black borders on the screen just like on my old 4:3 Tv. I hate the fact they invented a wider ratio but not just took the ratio of a full Cinemascope.

Even though I assumed that I will still go there on Wednesday. Just because its a star wars movie on big screen, don't care about 2D or 3D. Have a big LCD TV at home but still I have two black borders on the screen just like on my old 4:3 Tv. I hate the fact they invented a wider ratio but not just took the ratio of a full Cinemascope.

philips electronics has a 21:9 ratio tv:pfft:

Ich weiß, kds! But why didn't they make that the standard ratio although it would have been logical when leaving 4:3, not?

I plan on seeing it in 3D. I actually enjoyed it more that I thought I would after watching it for the first time in years once the Blu-rays came out. I think years of fanboy hate has tainted a lot of peoples' view of the PT. Are the great movies? No, but I don't think they're as bad as some people think they are.

Of course there are those who will hate no matter what.

Back