STAR WARS: EP. I--The Phantom Menace in 3D: 2/10/12

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seen the movie this morning..about 4 hrs ago.
It looked amazing again on the big screen.
no need for me to review it,we have all seen it,everyone hates it or loves it.
I will always love it for the fact that it is a part of something bigger in the SW arc.
Digi Yoda looked awesome on the BIG screen...and of course we get to see the ext Podrace sequence that was never on the first release at the cinema of TPM,only on the dvd and Blu releases.
If anything,i appreciate the fact that i got to see this movie again on the BIG screen.
Am looking forward to AOTC and the rest of the saga...OT will be pretty interesting in 3D...especially that opening sequence of ANH ;)

I have no use for that EU stuff, which is why I believe she should've been Wesell. There was just no sense for her to be used in that one shot.
I think at one point she actually was intended to have been in Zam's role. I remember there being lots of hype for the character during the years between TPM and AOTC along with rumours of her playing a bigger role in the prequels.

My guess is she was left out because Lucas had bigger plans for her. She has been a recurring villain in the Clone Wars series and played a major role in Boba Fett's story arc. Then there's also the new live action show coming up - dark times, criminal underworld, more Boba Fett... sound like a perfect opportunity for more Aurra?

https://millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8685

Was that a subtle hint from the actress in the G4 interview clip?

seen the movie this morning..about 4 hrs ago.
It looked amazing again on the big screen.
no need for me to review it,we have all seen it,everyone hates it or loves it.
I will always love it for the fact that it is a part of something bigger in the SW arc.
Digi Yoda looked awesome on the BIG screen...and of course we get to see the ext Podrace sequence that was never on the first release at the cinema of TPM,only on the dvd and Blu releases.
If anything,i appreciate the fact that i got to see this movie again on the BIG screen.
Am looking forward to AOTC and the rest of the saga...OT will be pretty interesting in 3D...especially that opening sequence of ANH ;)

That'll only happen if this makes money. They've put the rest on hold pending TPM's box office.

I was looking forward to it as well but local reviews have been really bad :(

Yah, AOTC in 2013 according to the Hollywood Reporter story about the merchandising empire of Star Wars today.

Also keep in mind, The Phantom Menace was shot on film. Ep2 and Ep3 were shot digitally with way more blue screen and CG effects, which could help the 3D in those films even more.

And regards to the CG clone troopers, horrible. Absolutely horrible. Their goggles or visors or whatever were way too reflective to look realistic. And it was atrocious watching a Commander Cody head walking around with CG everything else. Looked so incredibly awkward.

Seen it yesterday eve, must say:
Loved to see the movie on big screen, but as a 3D it was done good but now very well.
The trailers of MIB3 or Wrath of the Titans were so much more impressive.

Nice to see such a high detailed sith robe of palpatine/sidious,
nice to see some 3D backgrounds when ships were flying,
but the alltogether 3D wow effect was missing.

So in the end, refered to TPM 3D, everyone of you that stated "A 2D movie turned into 3D won't really work" was 100% correct.

Also was very disappointed by the so-called 23.1 Sound, but I somehow had the feeling
it was a mistake by the cinema, because those other trailers had such a whambam sound.

I can find 3 things I enjoy in ROTS, and in TPM.

I cannot find one single aspect, scene, or line I enjoy in Attack of the Clones.

Everything is beyond garbage. Every. Single. Little. Second of that movie is awful.

If the effects looked better, I might have enjoyed it on that level...but they all look like ____.

Blah.

Maybe the cantina reference during the assassinator hunt. Plus the scenes on Kamino. But that's alltogether 10 Mins of the movie. Hated those badly written democracy argue, the love scenes etc. To me ROTS is the very best of all PT. No doubt, the space gunfight opening would be great to see in 3D, if done better than the 3D battles I've seen in TPM.

I thought it was funny that for all the random tweaks with CG rocks and whatnot that they still didn't fix that shot where they forgot to put Sebubla in his pod racer as he's bearing down on Anakin.

Thinking back to Coheteboy's point about TPM not messing up the things that really "mattered" I actually do think there's some validity to that, regardless of whether or not ROTJ did the same thing.

In TPM the idiot theatrics are instigated by Jar Jar, not the beloved C-3PO. Jar Jar doesn't have a precedent for being cool so its okay.

Also nobody is whiny in TPM. All three prequels have a dashing young hero, a mentor, a bad guy they duel, a girl, and awesome new music.

TPM Dashing Hero: Obi-Wan (cool)

AOTC/ROTS Dashing Hero: Anakin (not so much)

TPM Mentor: Qui Gon (hella cool)

AOTC/ROTS Mentor: Obi-Wan (also cool)

TPM Duelist: Darth Maul (ridiculously cool)

AOTC/ROTS Duelists: Dooku/Grievous (mixed bags) Also Palpatine in ROTS but also a bit of a mixed bag.

TPM Girl: Queen Amidala (awesome outfits/make-up, no cringe worthy lines, even has some iconic dialogue "I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war...")

AOTC/ROTS Girl: Padme ("I truly, deeply, love you..."/"remember that time on Naboo before wars and plotting...")

TPM Music: Duel of the Fates. Nuff said.

And so on.

I can really see a case being made that all the core items of any SW movie really are at their best prequel-wise in TPM. It just has extra silly stuff like Jar Jar and Ben Quadinaros in addition to those core elements.

Thinking back to Coheteboy's point about TPM not messing up the things that really "mattered" I actually do think there's some validity to that, regardless of whether or not ROTJ did the same thing.

In TPM the idiot theatrics are instigated by Jar Jar, not the beloved C-3PO. Jar Jar doesn't have a precedent for being cool so its okay.

Also nobody is whiny in TPM. All three prequels have a dashing young hero, a mentor, a bad guy they duel, a girl, and awesome new music.

AOTC/ROTS Duelists: Dooku/Grievous (mixed bags) Also Palpatine in ROTS but also a bit of a mixed bag.

TPM Girl: Queen Amidala (awesome outfits/make-up, no cringe worthy lines, even has some iconic dialogue "I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war...")

AOTC/ROTS Girl: Padme ("I truly, deeply, love you..."/"remember that time on Naboo before wars and plotting...")

And so on.

I can really see a case being made that all the core items of any SW movie really are at their best prequel-wise in TPM. It just has extra silly stuff like Jar Jar and Ben Quadinaros in addition to those core elements.

Well, there was the midichlorian thing

I thought it was funny that for all the random tweaks with CG rocks and whatnot that they still didn't fix that shot where they forgot to put Sebubla in his pod racer as he's bearing down on Anakin.

I'm wondering if they might fix some stuff in AOTC---like the speeder chase has many flaws. The CG model of the speeder doesn't match the prop version, and so while normally they would have been able to match the CG model on top of the footage they shot so they could render things like reflections, they couldn't do that and so there are parts where there are lines where the CG doesn't line up with the real one.

Plus, they need to re-render Yoda with more advanced shaders, they were just starting to use sub-surface scattering at the time, but didn't get to use it on AOTC. So the CG model of Yoda is much better in ROTS and then they used the same model for the TPM replacement but now the AOTC one looks out of place without the more realistic skin shader.

Well, there was the midichlorian thing

Yes and that god awful Yoda puppet which of course has now been rectified in a rare update that was actually an improvement.

As for midichlorians ROTJ already started the ball rolling with the Force being an inherited thing. TPM just gave it a name. I think that what people latch onto the most now is how things were presented not what was presented.

The overall story of the PT was quite cool and if you were to describe it to someone who hadn't seen the films you could easily do so in a way that made it sound awesome. The speech about midichlorians was delivered by Liam Neeson and he sounded cool so I think most people give it a pass these days.

And so on.

Quite right. The annoyances of Ben Quadrinaros or the accents on the Neimoidians.... the two-headed announcer... even some of Jake Lloyd dialogue... it doesn't make me hate "star wars"... it makes me hate those things.

Also, TPM could be easily... VASTLY improved with a few post production tweaks. Jar Jar can certainly be edited down. I think he's essential to the story but we don't need to see all of his antics. The planet core could lose a fish or so and Boss Nass can lose his blabberin blatherskyte. Neimodians can be redubbed and subtitled when speaking to each other. The poop sound effect when Jar Jar steps in it can be removed. It's funnier if he just goes "icky icky goo".

So as is, TPM already being my favorite prequel is THIS close to being even better. To fix AOTC or ROTS would require a massive rewrite and recasting and plenty of reshoots. The bad permeates too far throughout Ep2 and Ep3.

Back