STAR WARS: EP. I--The Phantom Menace in 3D: 2/10/12

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know what they were hoping to make this weekend? It was fourth but it still made like $23 mil.

This weekend pushed TPM past Shrek 2 for the number five spot on the all time domestic box office list. A few million more and it will pass the original SW in all time (unadjusted) gross. Until ANH is re-released in a couple of years of course.

And here it is:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

That's awesome. I might have to pick that up. Now you can put r2 in it and the canopy slides forward. Nice.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but TPM is not that bad...and the 3D was not bad either...What was bad about the 3D? It sucked me into the film and made it look that much crisper and nicer IMHO....

Yes, there are parts of the movie that I didn't like, if I had my way I would re-write the Maul death scene to have him leave Obi Wan for dead and be the antagonist Sith enforcer in Ep II as well and have him die in Ep II, but oh well...

Just because I don't like the whole movie doesn't make it crap...I thoroughly enjoyed it...AND LOOOOOVED THAT THEY USED CGI YODA INSTEAD OF THE PUPPET!!! WIIIINNN!!! :yess:

The 3D wasn't very good because they made it so subtle sometimes it was hardly even there, and they seemed not to use any of the original computer files to render actual 3D for at least the visual effects and instead tried to convert everything. Plus they actually only converted as little as possible, usually only the obvious stuff in the image, anything that wasn't right in front of you wasn't given any depth.

Just saw this today. It was nice being able to see it on the big screen. at the time that the PT came out I wasn't a big star wars fan as I am now, and only knew the things most folks new ("luke, I am your father..." and all that)

Why do people ALWAYS quote this? It's:
Vader: "Obi-wan never told you what happend to your father"
Luke: "He told me enough, he told me you killed him!"
Vader: "No, I am your father"

:lecture

Since Harmy has allowed me to enjoy the OT once again without feeling that they are "tainted" by the prequels I can literally enjoy the good of TPM (which in my mind there's quite a bit) and not worry about the rest.

I don't even care about "Are you angel, midichlorians, this is pod-racing," etc. No more lame than, "Could you tell Luke, is that who you could tell? Baah. I'm sorry." "Hold me."

One thing I like about TPM is the unadulterated glee through which it was obviously created by all parties involved. There's no backpedaling, nothing is half-assed, no conflicted "making up" for any backlash at that point.

For better (and definitely worse) its an uncompromised take on SW that tries to do way too much yet still succeeds in many ways. It'll probably forever be the "most anticipated movie in history" and I'll because of TPM I'll now always have the experience of taking my own child to a theatrical SW release for the first time. Jar Jar, Jake Lloyd, and "doo doo" aside I'll always have a soft spot for this movie.

Why do people ALWAYS quote this? It's:
Vader: "Obi-wan never told you what happend to your father"
Luke: "He told me enough, he told me you killed him!"
Vader: "No, I am your father"

:lecture

There was an article in the paper recently about the most misquoted lines in films and that was one of them.

Judging by the size and enthusiasm of the crowd it is fair to say that the overall discontentment towards this film has been grossly overstated by a select vocal few on the internet.

Drinking that Lucas kool-aid eh? The reason the theaters were packed was for pure nostalgia of seeing a major Star Wars film on screen again. Most of the people who left the theater in my packed screening either commented about how much the film sucked but ______ was still cool or how they forgot it was that bad. There were people who liked it but most of them were kids when this came out and love it the same way some of the older generation love ROTJ despite it not being a good film in comparison after the Jabba Palace scene and excuse Jar-Jar the same way we excuse Ewoks.

This film isn't good but it's so bad with the cheap laughs and tricks that it's almost "so bad it's good" for a lot of people like many other films that weren't up to snuff. If you love the film fine but I wouldn't exactly go about saying it's just a couple of grumpy internet posters who dislike this thing.

Still #4 in box office for a film 13 years old is impressive, I'm interested to see what happens for AOTC which people consider the worst of the prequels and for the original trilogy which I'm sure will drag everyone and their mothers out for it.

For better (and definitely worse) its an uncompromised take on SW that tries to do way too much yet still succeeds in many ways. It'll probably forever be the "most anticipated movie in history" and I'll because of TPM I'll now always have the experience of taking my own child to a theatrical SW release for the first time. Jar Jar, Jake Lloyd, and "doo doo" aside I'll always have a soft spot for this movie.

Well said... I still like this movie over the rest of the PT; its definitely got its share of problems. But even ROTS feels like its trying to hard to be a good movie and in the end is kind of boring. TPM, can be a bit long at times... but its still a fun movie that feels like SW.

I skipped seeing it this weekend, just felt like spending my money elsewhere, but I'll still catch it in the theater at least once.

Still #4 in box office for a film 13 years old is impressive, I'm interested to see what happens for AOTC which people consider the worst of the prequels and for the original trilogy which I'm sure will drag everyone and their mothers out for it.

Gotta say this will definitely be the low-point of 3D viewing for me... it was not as bad as I remembered when I saw it on Blu; but still the idea of paying for 2 tickets (gotta make the wife go too) for this is painful :lol

Well said... I still like this movie over the rest of the PT; its definitely got its share of problems. But even ROTS feels like its trying to hard to be a good movie and in the end is kind of boring. TPM, can be a bit long at times... but its still a fun movie that feels like SW.

I skipped seeing it this weekend, just felt like spending my money elsewhere, but I'll still catch it in the theater at least once.

Yeah, TPM has plenty of awful parts in it but it was the only prequel that actually felt like a Star Wars movie to me too. I remember how dissapointed my brother and I were after seeing AOTC. Now that was awful...

The only good thing about AOTC is the last 40 minutes.

It breaks many SW conventions set-up in the OT.

Dooku is OK but he's really just a fill-in "Emperor" while the real one can't be revealed... just like Jango is a fill-in for Boba Fett, a literal copy called his "Dad". Ugh.

The romance is terrible, the death of Anakin's Mom is the most wasted story point in the entire Saga.

And what ever happened to Anakin's 'dream' about saving the slaves? That should have been where his mother died; during a choice to save her or the many.

Drinking that Lucas kool-aid eh? The reason the theaters were packed was for pure nostalgia of seeing a major Star Wars film on screen again. Most of the people who left the theater in my packed screening either commented about how much the film sucked but ______ was still cool or how they forgot it was that bad. There were people who liked it but most of them were kids when this came out and love it the same way some of the older generation love ROTJ despite it not being a good film in comparison after the Jabba Palace scene and excuse Jar-Jar the same way we excuse Ewoks.

This film isn't good but it's so bad with the cheap laughs and tricks that it's almost "so bad it's good" for a lot of people like many other films that weren't up to snuff. If you love the film fine but I wouldn't exactly go about saying it's just a couple of grumpy internet posters who dislike this thing.

Actually, when I went, the theater was super super busy (never been that busy before when I've gone there) and yet there was only about 1/3 of the theater full for Star Wars. Still wonder what people were there for (Safe House wtf?)

The only good thing about AOTC is the last 40 minutes.

It breaks many SW conventions set-up in the OT.

Dooku is OK but he's really just a fill-in "Emperor" while the real one can't be revealed... just like Jango is a fill-in for Boba Fett, a literal copy called his "Dad". Ugh.

The romance is terrible, the death of Anakin's Mom is the most wasted story point in the entire Saga.

And what ever happened to Anakin's 'dream' about saving the slaves? That should have been where his mother died; during a choice to save her or the many.

Anakin also had a dream where Padme led a great army. That never panned out either (and no the end of AOTC doesn't count).

You know I always thought the same thing... like at some point Anakin would return to free slaves and most would escape, but his mother would die in the effort. Would have made for a more interesting story.

I did like how they tied his mother into Owen and Beru, but still could have been done better IMO.

You know I always thought the same thing... like at some point Anakin would return to free slaves and most would escape, but his mother would die in the effort. Would have made for a more interesting story.

Slapstick droid comedy seemed more important overall.

Qui-gon should have just killed Watto, freed Anakin and his mother while swiping the parts he needed and preventing this whole Vader mess from ever occurring...

Back