STAR WARS: EP. I--The Phantom Menace in 3D: 2/10/12

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home Entertainment
Star Wars 3D getting the Blu-ray treatment for spring?
By Mat Smith posted Feb 23rd 2012 5:04AM

Star Wars 3D getting the Blu-ray treatment for spring

Just finished your deliciously digital Blu-ray collection of the Star Wars saga? Thought that was the end of it? C'mon. Following the three-dimensional release of Episode 1 in theaters, Pocket-lint's heard from sources at a recent Panasonic event that the "start" of the saga will be arriving on 3D Blu-ray faster than you might think -- this spring, likely as a replacement for its Avatar pack-in exclusive. Panasonic's got a history of Star Wars tie-ins, so we're putting whatever money we have left for additional Jedi media on it making an appearance over the next few months.

There will be other technologies like 4D, Holodeck etc. And you will always get your version of SW for sure.

no way they release the saga in 3D that soon, they need to make money off the theatricals of the other 5 in 3D

You forgot:

"Sandstorms are very.

Very.

Dangerous."

:monkey1

LOL, i dunno why but the bad lines in Ep1 make me laugh and bury my face.

... but the bad lines in ep2 and ep3 make me angry and hateful.

I'm not sure that all the bad lines themselves would be bad if it wasn't for the delivery.

Saw SW I 3D today, didn't look at any reviews beforehand.

I expected/hoped to see FX shots changed, to make use of the 3D effect. Maybe even scenes altered, different shots used. Not just this bland and utter crap 2D to 3D conversion. What a rip-off! OK Yoda is now digital but nothing else that I could discern.

I was falling asleep and at times I was texting in the theatre to kill time, until Darth Maul shows up to school the 2 Jedis.

What a wasted opportunity. You'd think Lucas would spring for new FX shots to justify a re-release. This man has zero artistic integrity.

Even if you like TPM (blind Lucas-groupies, sigh), I would get upset about how Lucas did a cheap conversion and tries to shill it as "3D".

But at least I didn't give Lucas any of my money. I paid for a different movie (Hugo in 3D) and then went into TPM. Ha!

For people who have never seen Star Wars on the big screen, go. Everyone else, this is just garbage. Watch it in 2D on BR and save yourselves the money.

I am DEFINITELY not getting them on BR 3D, and I just bought a 59" Samsung 3D TV and itching to get more 3D movies. This is not one of them.

Beren

There will be other technologies like 4D, Holodeck etc. And you will always get your version of SW for sure.

Know Lucas, a future 4D version will just be a ticket on a time machine to see the 3D version in 2012 anyways. He's probably already stockpiling Deloreans.

Granted, there are some bad lines in the movie and some were bad only because of delivery and many lines some consider to be unnatural.

What a wasted opportunity.
:exactly: True to the bone. :exactly:
Even if you like TPM (blind Lucas-groupies, sigh), I would get upset about how Lucas did a cheap conversion and tries to shill it as "3D".
That's exactly how I felt. Making changes to the original movies was always booed by some hardcore fans but I always felt if those changes were done carefully and subtly added something important to the story line (like the lightsaber building in ROTJ, wish that would've made it into the BR) or even cool (like more Stormies on front with Han or cooler Sandies on the Tattoine droid search in the SE versions), I was fine with it.
Even more, I really missed a harder space gunfight right before Battle of Yavin (Adywan did so fine pimping that scene up!) and some more subtle changes, but I really hated the Han shot later change, the completely unnecessary Bluesrock gig in Jabbas Palace, and some other changes!

But B2T, the fact that SW turns 3D would've opened a lot of possibilities to make SUBTLE changes to make it look better and threedimensional. Here was the chance for Lucas to gain acceptance for changes if these changes would add more depths, literally AND dimensional.

Hearing first that SW turns 3D ...
HOW MANY OF US DREAM TO SEE A BIG STAR DESTROYER COMING FROM THE BACK FLYING OVER THEIR HEAD IN ORDER TO CAPTURE TANTIVE IV?
EVEN IN THE 3D TRAILERS RIGHT BEFORE TPM 3D, EVERYTHING WAS FLYING AROUND ME: TITLES, ROCKS, DEAD PEOPLE, EXPLODING CARS ETC.
SEEING THAT NOT EVEN THE YELLOW TEXT CRAWLER MADE IT OUTSIDE OF 'THE SCREEN', I NOW DOUBT THIS WILL EVER HAPPEN!

So unfortunately, this time Lucas was too anxious. It is NOT a real 3D movie to me. Alice 3D was, TPM was NOT.

Last edited:
Exactly. Good post. I love certain aspects of TFM and it will always have a special place in my heart. I was giving George the benefit of the doubt when I reluctantly paid to see this movie.

A real missed opportunity. It would have taken a lot longer to get to the screen but he shouldn't have announced it until it was truly ready and unless it was going to WOW us. Not my favorite 3D movie. Avatar still takes the win.

But why? LOL

I wasn't TALKING, my phone was set to vibrate, so nobody could hear it and "That's so wizard, Annie" didn't deserve my full attention.

Plus apart from me, there were only 4 others in the theatre!! :dunno

Beren

Hehe, I get annoyed even when I see the light illumination from people who text. It bothers me so, so much.

but if you were in the last row and nobody else around or behind you... I guess that's fine.

I prefer my 3D when it's more subtle and not trying to poke me in the eye anyway, so this was great for me. Didn't look 2D at all I don't know what's wrong with some of your theatres. The effect was very noticeable.

I wish he'd handed the script to someone else (and the directing too) but i really enjoy the Phantom Menace, and I really enjoyed this (the original trilogy may be better films, simpler, more 'classic' ....but I think this has a better STORY, I enjoy the political stuff. I just wish He'd let somebody else write the script. OR at least polish up what he'd written (its not ALL bad lol).

In 3D The space scenes, dual of the fates, pod race and some of the landscape shots were amazing, and unexpectedly the scenes that works the best for me were ones were the faces were full screen.. simple conversations. (Qui-Gon talking to Anakin at the dining table etc) somehow the 3D really focussed in on the emotion or the point of the scenes and made them stronger.

Roll on Ep 2 :D

I wish he'd handed the script to someone else (and the directing too) but i really enjoy the Phantom Menace, and I really enjoyed this (the original trilogy may be better films, simpler, more 'classic' ....but I think this has a better STORY, I enjoy the political stuff. I just wish He'd let somebody else write the script. OR at least polish up what he'd written (its not ALL bad lol).

Yeah I agree with you about that. If he just let the script be checked it would have been better I think. He did the same thing with the OT and ROTLA.
Imagen if he didn't do it with TESB, then Yoda would have talked backwards:
"This like something" :lol

I prefer my 3D when it's more subtle and not trying to poke me in the eye anyway, so this was great for me. Didn't look 2D at all I don't know what's wrong with some of your theatres. The effect was very noticeable.

In 3D The space scenes, dual of the fates, pod race and some of the landscape shots were amazing, and unexpectedly the scenes that works the best for me were ones were the faces were full screen.. simple conversations. (Qui-Gon talking to Anakin at the dining table etc) somehow the 3D really focussed in on the emotion or the point of the scenes and made them stronger.

:goodpost::exactly::clap

Couldn't agree more with everything you've said.

I prefer 3D to be more subtile too, but I honestly think there was something wrong with how it was shown in the theater I was it at.

Like I said earlier, there were times the 3D looked great. I especially noticed it whenever the battle droids were on screen. But other times, not only was the 3D not noticeable, but the entire screen looked out of focus. :dunno

I prefer 3D to be more subtile too, but I honestly think there was something wrong with how it was shown in the theater I was it at.

Like I said earlier, there were times the 3D looked great. I especially noticed it whenever the battle droids were on screen. But other times, not only was the 3D not noticeable, but the entire screen looked out of focus. :dunno

I think my theatre most have been the same.
The 3 d sucked.

Back