Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can anyone who has seen those episodes claim that Mando/TROS invented Force Healing (even resurrection!) out of the blue.

I don't think the objection has anything to do with "inventing" Force healing; that ability already existed in the EU long before Disney Wars, and even before TCW. The problem (only speaking for myself) is introducing it into an existing story with an established context of what Jedi were capable of, even at the height of their powers (the PT era).

By having a baby who can barely walk or talk use it, then by having Rey use it with only a fraction of the training of her predecessors, there's a natural set of questions that beg to be asked because of how inconsistent that is with every previous SW movie.

If a baby Yoda can use the power instinctively, then shouldn't the 900-year-old Jedi master Yoda know this power? If a desert scavenger with a year or so of informal training can do it, shouldn't the "Chosen One" desert slave with Yoda-levels of midichlorians and 10+ years of Jedi training know how to do it?

In Mortis, those characters were basically gods. What they're capable of doesn't mess with the saga that we see playing out in the movies where Jedi *aren't* gods. But if in the movies, Rey and Ben can suddenly do something that would've definitely been used in previous films during key plot moments, that's a different issue with a unique set of consistency problems, IMO.

For me, you can't have Force healing be such a common and easy "trick" to learn and use without sacrificing drama, tension, and stakes going forward. And using it now with characters who seem to be doing it instinctively just makes it all the more problematic that it wasn't used before.

Yes, I know that you think Healing would have/should have been used in the PT but as I have mentioned before I simply disagree. :) At no point that I can recall in the PT was Yoda ever in the presence of an injured or mortally wounded ally that he was supposed to heal. The only scene I can think of was Qui Gon's dying moments but that was with Obi-Wan, a mere padawan who almost certainly wouldn't have been taught a skill that would kill him if not used properly.

And that's all assuming that Force Healing was even known by *any* of the Jedi since I can easily assume that that it was a "lost art" or "lost teaching" buried away in 20,000 year old books that no one referenced anymore. But again that's just my own personal take. :duff

Force healing I'm okay with, Force resurrection...

batman-forever-too-many-questions-146951.jpg

... or if it was Abrams' and Terrio's intent, they just failed to spell it out.

It wasn't. In the film Kylo states point blank that she's Palpatine's granddaughter. Palpatine himself later calls her his grandchild. Then on the TROS blu-ray special features JJ again refers to Rey as being Palpatine's granddaughter. The "daughter of a clone" silliness is just LFL Story Group nonsense, probably born out of a desire to distance the source of her power as being from a man. They failed, she's his granddaughter. SJW agenda subverted. :)

.If she's the product of a Sith experiment I'll find it easier to accept her as "another Skywalker".

Well if you like the idea of Palpatine creating Anakin then she basically is related to the Skywalkers...from a certain point of view.

SJW agenda subverted. :)

That's something we can *all* celebrate! :duff

I might add, though, that many of the truths we clung to (and still do) were never spelt out on screen. For instance, I knew Chewie was 200 years old for decades before Solo felt the need to tell us he was 190, 10 years before ANH.

tumblr_inline_plrkh64mK71shrb8p_250.gifv

That's something we can *all* celebrate! :duff

Indeed!

I might add, though, that many of the truths we clung to (and still do) were never spelt out on screen. For instance, I knew Chewie was 200 years old for decades before Solo felt the need to tell us he was 190, 10 years before ANH.

Absolutely! Going all the way back to the original 1978 Storybook that we all had. :rock

chewie200.jpg

Though I believe Carrie had been stating that in interviews since the film opened so obviously it came from George himself. I'm still fine with peripheral media offering little morsels here and there as long as it doesn't contradict the films. As you said we've been doing that ever since the original Kenner figures, Topp Cards, sketchbooks, etc., came out. But imagine if that SW Storybook entry above said "Chewbacca: Two-Hundred Year Old Wookiee and the cloned son of Obi-Wan Kenobi." I'm pretty sure that even as kids we wouldn't be wondering weather it was "canon" and instead would have just been laughing our asses off at the obvious error. That's how I see all the nonsense about Rey being the daughter of a failed clone. :)

Indeed!

Absolutely! Going all the way back to the original 1978 Storybook that we all had. :rock

View attachment 487462

Though I believe Carrie had been stating that in interviews since the film opened so obviously it came from George himself. I'm still fine with peripheral media offering little morsels here and there as long as it doesn't contradict the films. As you said we've been doing that ever since the original Kenner figures, Topp Cards, sketchbooks, etc., came out. But imagine if that SW Storybook entry above said "Chewbacca: Two-Hundred Year Old Wookiee and the cloned son of Obi-Wan Kenobi." I'm pretty sure that even as kids we wouldn't be wondering weather it was "canon" and instead would have just been laughing our asses off at the obvious error. That's how I see all the nonsense about Rey being the daughter of a failed clone. :)

Ahh yes the storybooks and Topps cards gave us so much info that changed in the movies. The Empire Cards listed the ages for everyone and I believe they had Luke at 3 years older than Leia which of course was changed. Although Vader was listed around 7 years older than Boba Fett which was pretty close. Loved the books and cards and still have them all. Might have too break them out and give them a quick read again.

You add so much.

Well there's not much to add. It was an overly sappy & sentimental scene that blatantly ripped off another movie (BvS).

Seeing how much Kylo Ren worshipped Vader it would have obviously made far more sense for Anakin's ghost to return and say "don't do what I did" etc rather than Han Solo, a man that Kylo Ren hated.

Speaking of the Star Wars Storybook, I was always fascinated by this pic of a black-shirted Luke:

HGa1nsp.jpg

I later figured out it was his ceremonial gear minus the jacket. They took so many promo shots of him wearing it they must have had bigger plans for it...

Luke_publicity_photo.jpg

0e1a880ec5e7782678f72ebc06961814--star-wars-sexy-star-wars-luke-skywalker.jpg

1571136889_359245631378144_goldstyles.jpg

5df8ddbb6b5b0242e43665f45bfc6afa--posts-starwars.jpg

08d10f17d4bc3beb6648d5d6af7e5ce5--mark-hamill-luke-skywalker-star-wars-luke-skywalker.jpg

0f4e5bcd81a5bdd4fa3a8a380019acde--star-wars-luke-skywalker-star-wars-.jpg

star-wars-anh-luke-lightsaber-promo-2.jpg

star-wars-anh-luke-lightsaber-promo-1.jpg

The Sideshow version could have turned out better headscupt-wise...

review_yavinluke_large.jpg

Interestingly the Holiday Special used Luke's Rebel gear for the animated segment but put him back in his farm boy outfit for the live-action scenes:

holiday-special-618x360.jpg

shutterstock-editorial-6596759b-1576529240.jpg

Last edited:
That Yavin look without the jacket would’ve been cooler than his Bespin fatigues. I wish they’d used it in ESB.

Back