Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe his Force lightning is like peeing and once you start you can't really shut it off and just need to let it ride, lol.

But :lol at just pushing the attack button and hoping for the best, lol.

The movie never says where Snoke came from so we're free to take or leave the book explanation as canon. Now I actually love the idea of Palpatine keeping a collection of Sno-I mean Plagueis clones in tubes for whatever sick whim that might strike him.

Well there you go... Ill allow it to be Canon :)

Maybe his Force lightning is like peeing and once you start you can't really shut it off and just need to let it ride, lol.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

TROS suggests that Palpatine does it with Kylo, but not with Rey (for some unknown reason). When he says, "I am every voice . . . you have *ever* heard . . . inside your head," does that not suggest an ability to do exactly what you're saying shouldn't happen in SW?

Sorry if I missed the point here... But I figure that the Emperor didn't screw with Rey's because she had not tapped into her force abilities.. So like Luke she was easy to miss..

Emperor knew about Luke and thus Ben Solo..

I guess you could say he did start screwing with her head once she started using the force.

For me, you can't have Force ghosts establish an inclination to guide the living Jedi in the OT during perilous times and then bring the same situation back 30 years later in the ST and have them suddenly doing the opposite. Anakin's spirit knowing Palpatine is behind all this, and choosing not to guide his son and daughter so as to prevent even more tragedy than the PT and OT creates a cognitive dissonance for me.

But to believe that Anakin wouldn't know Palpatine's involvement, and wouldn't guide his kids by making them aware of the truth, is something that doesn't sit well with me because it doesn't seem consistent. It's not a huge deal, but it's just one of many things.

We don't know that Anakin's spirit knows it do we.. I mean why didn't Qui Gon just tell all the Jedi council that Palps was the Emperor? Why didn't Yoda and Ben tell Luke or Leia that "its a trap" in ROTJ :lol

The Sith seem to have a great talent for keeping their force abilities and agendas hidden from the Jedi.. Maybe its the same for Ghost Jedi also.

Perhaps the force ghost have to let things play out. Maybe its a Force rule :lol

After all wouldnt it be considered cheating andnot very Jedi like if they kept peaking at the other players cards. :lol ;)

Damn ajp hitting you guys hard

There you go trying to stir the pot again and get them riled up. That's cold, man. :lol

I was referring to the initial contact between Palpatine and/or Snoke and Ben Solo that led to him turning to the Dark Side. That all happened long before TFA so we can't say what it actually entailed. Yes of course I know that Palpatine was in his head after that silly, lol. :thwak You asked why didn't he do the same thing to Rey when we don't even have any context for what "the same thing" would entail because we didn't see what he originally did to Ben. All we have to go on is what *has* been shown on screen which were Force users (OT Ben, Luke, Vader, PT Palps, TLJ Rey and Kylo) speaking telepathically to people that they had an intense (positive or negative) emotional connection with. Palpatine would have had no such connection with Rey nor would she be a willing recipient to his communication which would have also been in contrast with all those other examples I just mentioned.

Now had Palpatine survived TROS then I think that Rey might have been vulnerable the same way that Luke could hear Vader after their emotional connection on Cloud City but that's obviously moot.

Ah! Now I think I see where our wires are getting crossed. You view it as Palpatine's "I am every voice..." line only refers to post-dark-side-turn Kylo. But I think it also refers to pre-turn Ben, hence the "ever" qualifier (meaning voices that were *always* there).

I have it so lodged in my head that Ben Solo was turning to the dark side while in Luke's academy. TLJ establishes that Luke had sensed the darkness but had no clue just how strong it was, and that was after the TFA novel had an exchange where Leia explains that Snoke had been manipulating her son since early childhood, right from under the noses of his family.

This is why I brought up Rey. Because if Snoke or Palps could find and corrupt Ben from a distance, Palps could certainly do the same with Rey. But I took for granted that we both assumed Ben was being corrupted since childhood, when you probably don't see it that way. Sorry about that.

If I had to guess, you caught wind that they were going to be walking back certain elements of TLJ (which they obviously did) and so you just threw your hands up in the air feeling like they were bailing on people like you who were fans of the direction that movie took the story? And what's weird is that because of TROS my misgivings about TLJ have all mostly gone away.

Yes and no. I wanted the 3 movies to seem like one story, so of course I wanted a more cohesive flow, but I never expected JJ (and Disney) not to make an effort to pivot as much as possible. It'd be the right/smart thing to do.

Maybe I'm just underestimating how much I'm let down by it. I honestly don't know. But if smooth follow-up to TLJ was all it took, I'd be maligning the dismissal of Trevorrow's script. While I do prefer it, his movie still would've sucked. It just would've sucked *less* for me. :lol

To make it more concrete as to what I mean: I give TROS about a 5 out of 10, and Trevorrow's story a 6 at best. Still crap.

Oh not agitated by your point of view or anything, I just had a moment of hnnng he's gonna make me retype my entire last post, lol. ;) But I believe I see what caused the disconnect now. I should have deleted that line asking what you meant by manipulating Rey because I answered one way, then figured out what you meant and went back and edited it but I didn't delete my stupid lead off question. My bad.

:duff

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I think the confusion about when Ben Solo started getting influenced (and how) is the reason for the misunderstanding. :duff

ajp is indeed a great adversary higher quality than most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, jye. Not adversaries, though; just bored fans shootin' the ****. :lol :duff

Perhaps his force lighting was like me playing a video game when I think if I just go full force into a boss battle because I think I got him beat.. I take massive damage.. Sometimes I win... and sometimes I die.

Perhaps he thought he could win if He just kept pushing the attack X button instead of using the R1 Dodge button.

... In a way he did.. She did die. He just used up all of his life also... I been there :lol :lol

:rotfl

I have it so lodged in my head that Ben Solo was turning to the dark side while in Luke's academy. TLJ establishes that Luke had sensed the darkness but had no clue just how strong it was, and that was after the TFA novel had an exchange where Leia explains that Snoke had been manipulating her son since early childhood, right from under the noses of his family.

And if you accept the comics as canon, the Rise of Kylo Ren series you previously referenced shows Palps/Snoke in Ben?s head while he?s off on missions with Luke and a younger Lor San Tekka.

Ah! Now I think I see where our wires are getting crossed. You view it as Palpatine's "I am every voice..." line only refers to post-dark-side-turn Kylo. But I think it also refers to pre-turn Ben, hence the "ever" qualifier (meaning voices that were *always* there).

Yep me too because of what was shown in TLJ. I'm picturing that since all Jedi training involves being tempted by the Dark Side or going into a cave or whatever that when young Ben did that particular test that instead of just a fake apparition appearing in front of him maybe it was actually the *real* Palpatine, possibly projecting himself as Snoke (since we know from Crait that you can change your appearance when you project.) Palps/Snoke seduces him, Ben partly shrugs it off as a failed test but from that point on the link is established and Palps can continue to infect his mind. In addition to the voices (Snoke and Vader) he eventually pushes Ben to the brink until he's ready to lash out at Luke and the other pupils before heading off to join the real Snoke (who he assumes was the same person he heard in his head.) Something like that is how I'd fill in the backstory I guess which wouldn't apply to Rey.

Or maybe it would apply to her once she reached Ach-To and began connecting with Kylo but at that point Snoke himself had taken it upon himself to start playing head games and manipulating her.

Yes and no. I wanted the 3 movies to seem like one story, so of course I wanted a more cohesive flow, but I never expected JJ (and Disney) not to make an effort to pivot as much as possible. It'd be the right/smart thing to do.

Maybe I'm just underestimating how much I'm let down by it. I honestly don't know. But if smooth follow-up to TLJ was all it took, I'd be maligning the dismissal of Trevorrow's script. While I do prefer it, his movie still would've sucked. It just would've sucked *less* for me. :lol

Hey could you remind me of what you were hoping for with Episode 9 again. Sorry, I know we've discussed this but it's getting muddled with all the other takes and "what might have beens." All I remember is that if you had your say that Kylo absolutely would not have been redeemed but I can't remember what else. (And no, "well less sucking for starters" doesn't count, lol. :nono)

;)

Sorry if I missed the point here... But I figure that the Emperor didn't screw with Rey's because she had not tapped into her force abilities.. So like Luke she was easy to miss..

Emperor knew about Luke and thus Ben Solo..

I guess you could say he did start screwing with her head once she started using the force.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

We don't know that Anakin's spirit knows it do we.. I mean why didn't Qui Gon just tell all the Jedi council that Palps was the Emperor? Why didn't Yoda and Ben tell Luke or Leia that "its a trap" in ROTJ :lol

The Sith seem to have a great talent for keeping their force abilities and agendas hidden from the Jedi.. Maybe its the same for Ghost Jedi also.

Perhaps the force ghost have to let things play out. Maybe its a Force rule :lol

After all wouldnt it be considered cheating andnot very Jedi like if they kept peaking at the other players cards. :lol ;)

[/LEFT]

With Ben/Kylo, if Snoke and/or Palps was planting seeds from a distance since the beginning, they'd first have to know Ben existed and then get in his head. Not sure if knowing exactly where he is, in terms of physical location, would be a key to that. Up for interpretation, obviously.

Palps definitely knew Rey existed (and hunted for her), so I'd imagine he'd have to use the same tools to reach her. Would not knowing her physical location matter? I just don't know. Would her not being tapped into the Force matter? That could definitely be a solid explanation. It just depends on what the Ben corruption was like and when it started, but that story hasn't been told yet, so this stuff probably only matters to me right now. :lol

As far as Force ghosts letting things play out, I think that gets upended by Kenobi telling Luke to go to Dagobah, and then telling him about the Vader backstory and his twin sister. Those are things Luke probably wouldn't have stumbled upon on his own.

I don't know why Anakin couldn't let Luke know that Palpatine was still around. But I can't prove that you're wrong in saying that Anakin might've been clueless about it, even though he was one with Force on a spiritual plane. Kenobi, Yoda, and Anakin were obviously able to keep tabs on Luke's whereabouts, but perhaps they can't "spy" on others. Who knows? Fair points all around that I can't reject. Definite possibilities for sure.

Hey could you remind me of what you were hoping for with Episode 9 again. Sorry, I know we've discussed this but it's getting muddled with all the other takes and "what might have beens." All I remember is that if you had your say that Kylo absolutely would not have been redeemed but I can't remember what else. (And no, "well less sucking for starters" doesn't count, lol. :nono)

;)

I'll try to summarize key wants:

1.) Kylo being visited by Luke. This was a big one for me. I hate loose threads like "see ya around, kid" left dangling. Plus, Luke needed to capitalize on his sacrifice the way Kenobi did at the end of ANH and beyond. By that, I mean that Luke should've played a more pivotal role in turning the tide with Kylo.

2.) Kylo's redemption is something I hate, but something I recognized that they had to do. With that said, Luke should've been steering him in the right direction, and Rey should've been there for him when he had his moment of realizing how wrong he was. But the key for me is Anakin. I wanted Anakin to be involved with Luke. I wanted Leia in it too, but that was obviously impossible with Carrie being gone. Even if it happened at the last minute, and derivative of ROTJ Vader, I wanted a more poignant moment when the Skywalkers (it could include adopted Rey) got together as a multi-generation family to bring Ben home (figuratively) and close the story.

3.) Knights of Ren conflict, maybe even learning that Kylo killed their master Snoke. I would've had that Force vision that Rey saw play out in TFA, explained its relevance, and tied it into the conflict toward the end. Again, I hate loose or unresolved story threads.

4.) Poe being a true leader as character progression payoff. Taking over for Leia and showing her influence is part of her lasting legacy.

5.) Finn leading some kind of FO revolt (even if small in scale). This was probably my favorite part of Trevorrow's script, but I would've wanted it to be even more pronounced. Jannah could've served that purpose in TROS if she had been inspired by Finn, and then he realizes what his influence can be on others who he can relate to for being stripped of their lives, families, and identities.

That's some of what I though should be there, but I honestly tried to avoid going into specific expectations with actual story beat progressions. That's always an unwinnable game.

And if you accept the comics as canon, the Rise of Kylo Ren series you previously referenced shows Palps/Snoke in Ben?s head while he?s off on missions with Luke and a younger Lor San Tekka.

I missed this post somehow. Thank you for pointing that out! :duff It does seem like someone (doesn't really matter if it was Snoke or Palps since Palps can do anything Snoke can) was indeed in Ben's head before his falling out with Luke. So, again, I can't understand why Palps wouldn't have similarly reached Rey through the Force when she was growing up. The theory JAWS provided as to her needing to be tapped into the Force for Palps to find her might be a good enough explanation. Need to think about it a bit, though.

Gotcha, thanks for sharing. :duff

No problem. :duff

Oh, and did I mention that lots more Luke (and Skywalkers in general) would've been greatly appreciated? :lol Kind of a big deal for me to see the family drama aspects get a major spotlight in the saga finale.

So, again, I can't understand why Palps wouldn't have similarly reached Rey through the Force when she was growing up.

Well, based on the quote ?there has been an awakening?, and indeed the title of the film, one can surmise Rey didn?t start connecting with The Force until TFA - and Snoke/Palps then became aware.

This thread is just brilliant. Tons of interesting reading, discussion and lolz.:clap:clap

:lol

And holy crap I never realized that when the FO learns that Rey is on Kijimi Hux asks Kylo if they should destroy the city Kylo silently cuts him off with the "Ford finger" before heading off to his ship. :rock

20200314_004409.jpg

I’ll respond more in depth later, fun thread, but screw that Plagueis thing. They even ruined him for me now. Some sock puppet clone that gets sliced because he is a dumb ass. Clone Plagueis would mop the floor with Kylo and Rey. They retcon TLJ to try to please even more fans in a damn novel. The stuff needs to be in the movie. Or actually planned from the start instead of going back fixing there ill thought out trilogy.

Maaan... what could have been with Plagueis or even clone Plagueis. I’d probably hate the ST a whole lot less if they handled this differently. At least it makes sense for Palpatine to keep DNA of his former master though.

Also, cheap plug for Darth Plagueis novel by James Luceno. My favorite book ever and I think it fits with the new timeline too... y’all should read it.

:lol

And holy crap I never realized that when the FO learns that Rey is on Kijimi Hux asks Kylo if they should destroy the city Kylo silently cuts him off with the "Ford finger" before heading off to his ship. :rock

Too cool. If it?s anything like his other ?Ford moves? it would have been Driver?s idea.

Darth Plagueis the Wise

Gets sliced by a lightsaber he leaves sitting there.

ST even destroying PT characters now. Still can’t believe it.

I am laughing my ass off at JAWS Emperor elaborate plans blowing up in his face and hoping for the best while shooting lightning holy crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back