Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol :lol

You know I *almost* binged the entire PT in one day on Sunday (made it all the way to about an hour into ROTS before deciding to turn in for the night.) But I finished it yesterday and one thing that struck me aside from the CGI looking *awesome* in many scenes due to the 4K HDR (especially Coruscant holy crap) was that I really do like the PT, despite it's flaws, if I can just let go of requiring it to fit with the OT.

Because as we've gone over in tons of discussions about other movies just having poor acting or badly written lines isn't necessarly a deal breaker in and of itself, nor is having "too much CGI," (if it were I'd have to foresake much of the MCU, lol) because there are a lot of movies that have those same shortcomings that I still enjoy.

It's just the recontextualizing of the OT that the PT requires that I *hate.*

For someone like yourself or Ducky that just takes the PT at face value as an operatic emotion driven trilogy with fantastic world building and imagination that is lacking in other areas (significantly lacking, lol) that does not need to fit with the OT or any other movies then I can't deny that as a trilogy I do still get sucked into being caught up in the journey of experiencing how it all plays out.

If it was just its own thing like Burton Batman vs. Schumacher Batman vs. Nolanverse vs. Snyderverse then I really wouldn't have any animosity against it just like Batman Forever in now way taints TDK despite them both being stories that feature Batman and Two-Face. I just enjoy them for what they are and not what they aren't. If Anakin was named something else and it was about this other whiny superpowerful Jedi who turns to the Dark Side, kills kids and all that well then as it's own thing I have to admit it's pretty compelling to watch, lol.

So in the end I am glad that I have the 4K PT and do even see myself revisiting them periodically, I'll just always have those two compartmentalized Sagas, one being the PT/OT SE and the other being theatrical OT/ST. Sure I'll always prefer the latter but like JAWS has said even the PT has its appeal due to it being GL's SW and it doesn't have to be a definitive either/or situation where only one set of films can ever be enjoyed.

Now I don?t like all the PT movies I just think ROTS is amazing. The rest have great aspects in them. The reason I defend them as a whole is cause I think they are better told and written better than the ST is minus the dialogue.

Phantom menace can get boring and aoc is ok but nothing memorable. ROTS imo has everything and it feels vastly different from the others before it.

Imagine if Disney invested 200 million into restructuring the PT by bringing back all the main players for reshoots lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know I *almost* binged the entire PT in one day on Sunday (made it all the way to about an hour into ROTS before deciding to turn in for the night.) But I finished it yesterday and one thing that struck me aside from the CGI looking *awesome* in many scenes due to the 4K HDR (especially Coruscant holy crap) was that I really do like the PT, despite it's flaws, if I can just let go of requiring it to fit with the OT.

Because as we've gone over in tons of discussions about other movies just having poor acting or badly written lines isn't necessarly a deal breaker in and of itself, nor is having "too much CGI," (if it were I'd have to foresake much of the MCU, lol) because there are a lot of movies that have those same shortcomings that I still enjoy.

It's just the recontextualizing of the OT that the PT requires that I *hate.*

For someone like yourself or Ducky that just takes the PT at face value as an operatic emotion driven trilogy with fantastic world building and imagination that is lacking in other areas (significantly lacking, lol) that does not need to fit with the OT or any other movies then I can't deny that as a trilogy I do still get sucked into being caught up in the journey of experiencing how it all plays out.

If it was just its own thing like Burton Batman vs. Schumacher Batman vs. Nolanverse vs. Snyderverse then I really wouldn't have any animosity against it just like Batman Forever in now way taints TDK despite them both being stories that feature Batman and Two-Face. I just enjoy them for what they are and not what they aren't. If Anakin was named something else and it was about this other whiny superpowerful Jedi who turns to the Dark Side, kills kids and all that well then as it's own thing I have to admit it's pretty compelling to watch, lol.

So in the end I am glad that I have the 4K PT and do even see myself revisiting them periodically, I'll just always have those two compartmentalized Sagas, one being the PT/OT SE and the other being theatrical OT/ST. Sure I'll always prefer the latter but like JAWS has said even the PT has its appeal due to it being GL's SW and it doesn't have to be a definitive either/or situation where only one set of films can ever be enjoyed.

Pretty much how I feel... I think I have an easier time accepting them as Canon.. Sure there are things I don't like about it but I can live with it..

The hardest thing I deal with is picturing Hayden's Anakin becoming Vader. Its why I think they should have had the first film with him as Obi Wan's student, the 2nd film of Anakin as the great Jedi and 3rd film being about his turn..

Or if anything have the present film have an extra 15 or 20 min of him as Vader before his duel with Obi Wan...

Something to convince that he became the Dark Lord of the Sith that we know and love.

Now I don?t like all the PT movies I just think ROTS is amazing. The rest have great aspects in them. The reason I defend them as a whole is cause I think they are better told and written better than the ST is minus the dialogue.

Phantom menace can get boring and aoc is ok but nothing memorable. ROTS imo has everything and it feels vastly different from the others before it.

I would say my new ratings for the PT are as follows.

These are graded on a Star Wars curb. Meaning I am much more forgiving.

TPM - 7.5 out of 10
AOTC - 4 out of 10
ROTS - 7 out of 10

All my scores went up... I am sure with time they will all go down again as I seem to only remember the parts I dislike or I think about AOTC the most when I think PT :lol

But I definitely had a good time with them this time around.

Yep to this day I just can't really allow for Hayden to be the guy in the suit that steps through the door in the beginning of ANH. And if I can't get around that there's just no syncing up the trilogies for me.

Which is a bummer on one hand but on the other it finally allows me to find a use for the OT SE's, lol. Because owning the theatrical OT allows me to just say "okay *this* version of the OT (SE's) is a continuation of the PT, while *this* version (theatrical) is not." And with that I think I'm good.

I can accept pretty much everything else, including Gungans and midichlorians, but just not Anakin himself.

That makes no sense to me though.

Why would JJ continue talking about this movie since it?s already out on home release his job is finished.

Is he supposed to continue talking about TROS while now working for WB new production deal.

Look at Snyder the reason he keeps going on about JL 3 years after the movie was released is because he didn?t get his cut, he didn?t get his way.

JJ got his cut.

Rose Tico also got her cut as well.....as in literally cut out lol

Considering the number of damage control articles that came out after the film's release, you'd think a director would have enough cojones to defend his craft.

At the end of the day it sucks to be Trevorrow because almost directing a SW movie is not the same as directing a SW movie.

Man to get so damn close then to not do it yikes.

Hate RJ all you want but his name will forever be attached as director of a SW movie.

At the end of the day it sucks to be Trevorrow because almost directing a SW movie is not the same as directing a SW movie.

Very true but I still think he came out ahead getting partial screenplay credit on TROS instead of director credit on that crap movie he wanted to make, lol.

Now Trank, there's a straight up loser. :slap

What is Babu Frik doing to Zori in this scene? Is that why Poe doesn’t have a chance? F26C28BA-4ADB-4AF2-9F3F-20498638A0CD.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what changes would everyone make to the PT story wise while still loosely keeping a similar story (and cast) that Lucas set out to tell?

I would cast Hayden in ?99, so both Padme and Anakin would have been the same age. Anakin would have been older, knew that he was special beyond just driving a pod racer (so maybe minor force powers like lifting/pulling tools), was friends with a more competent less goofy Jar Jar. I think this is beneficial because the romance between Anakin and Padme immediately becomes realistic. I?d build the romance here. Sheltered Queen with no time for boys meets rugged pilot (sound familiar?). It also makes the age difference between Kenobi and Anakin less awkward, was Kenobi like a father or like a brother? I always liked the idea of them being ?brothers? so having a early 20s Kenobi and 17 year old Anakin would sell that brother bond more. End result stays the same for the TPM.

Onto AOTC. I make it 3 years after TPM. Padme and Anakin are now living together in secret on Coruscant. Anakin is assigned to her security detail. Due to the established romance in TPM we cut out all that awkward cheesy lines from the first few minutes of the movie. I have Anakin and Padme get married mid movie, cut more romance out of AOTC. Anakin still slaughters the Tuskens mother still dies, everything plays out the same except we introduce Grievous this movie as the leader of the droid army and for the end changes. Grievous is in the arena killing Jedi left and right, Jedi get surrounded, gunships swoop in, Grievous runs. Later, Padme falls out and Anakin jumps out as well. We see Kenobi vs Dooku duel. Yoda shows up in time to save Kenobi. Dooku escapes, but Anakin/Padme got a gunship they crash him down. Anakin vs Dooku. Anakin kills Dooku to save Padme, says he will do whatever it takes to protect her. Movie ends with Anakin leaving Padme to go off to fight in the Clone Wars, we see Padme?s visible baby bump.

ROTS. Takes place 3 years after AOTC. We see toddler Luke and Leia opening the movie... looking up to see the Battle of Coruscant. Grievous battles Anakin/Kenobi in the opening instead of Dooku. Grievous escapes. Same plot begins to unfold. Anakin informs the council of Palpatine, when the Jedi show up we see Padme is talking to Palpatine. She witnesses the battle. Mid battle we see Palpatine wound Padme, Anakin senses something is wrong, rushes to the scene. Anakin finds Padme injured and goes ape****. Palpatine twists it into Windu having caused it, Anakin believes him, we can get a ?what have you done? instead of ?what I have done,? Anakin spouting off how the Jedi never trusted him, how if he was here it never would have happened, Anakin kills Mace. Anakin swears allegiance to save Padme?s life. Order 66. Padme is shipped off to Mustafar to receive treatment. We see Anakin go into the temple and battle dozens of Jedi leading his troops. While that is ongoing, we get the Yoda vs Palpatine duel. Yoda fails again, gets injured, but he and Bail go to rescue the children. C-3PO tells Yoda and Bail that he is supposed to go to Mustafar and bring the children to see Padme. Yoda fakes his ship blowing up to convince Palpatine that the children and he die, while Bail secretly leaves with them. Kenobi arrives too late, but is told to go to Mustafar to fight Anakin. Kenobi confronts Anakin in Padme?s room. Anakin has become more delusional. Is convinced the Jedi are trying to take over. Believes Obi-Wan was sent there to kill both he and Padme. Says he won?t let Padme die. During the fight something happens to Padme?s life support or whatever you want to call it, hit by a lightsaber, fight pours out into the hall, same fight happens. Same ending. Kenobi brings Padme back to Polis Massa, but it is too late. We see Vader get the suit, asks about his wife and kids. Palpatine says the Jedi killed his children and tells Anakin that his rage killed Padme. We see Alderaan with Bail and Leia. Final scene we get a toddler Luke playing on the famed rock on Tatooine to close out the PT.

Sounds better than what we got.

I wonder if I'm correct in saying that the decision to depict Darth Vader at the age of 9 years old is pretty much universally considered a very very bad one. It's one thing that people always change in their version of the PT and I absolutely agree - the earliest we should have seen Anakin was the age he is in AOTC, 19 I think. So the same age we meet Luke in ANH basically. Would have helped with the symmetry between the trilogies, spared us the Yipees, instantly made the Anakin/Padme relationship more plausible and crucially it probably would have shown us the supposed friendship between Anakin and Obi-wan. For the latter though you also have to omit Qui-Gon Jinn - much as I like him and Neeson's performance. I've always felt the character got in the way of what we really needed to see.

The strange irony for me is that TPM is my favourite prequel - even though in my idealized PT it would have to be changed very significantly.

Very true but I still think he came out ahead getting partial screenplay credit on TROS instead of director credit on that crap movie he wanted to make, lol.

Now Trank, there's a straight up loser. :slap

True

I am happy Fav got Fett over Trash errr Trank

What is Babu Frik doing to Zori in this scene? Is that why Poe doesn?t have a chance?View attachment 482719

I love his laugh there but it now makes sense lol

Once you go Frik you never go bik, lol.

Dude I spit out my coffee just now lol

True

I am happy Fav got Fett over Trash errr Trank

I love his laugh there but it now makes sense lol

Dude I spit out my coffee just now lol

It doesn?t take much for you to laugh huh ? Lol