Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JAWS said:
That's gotta suck spending all that time with non Canon stories ;)

Canon is what you want it to be, unless you're a slave to the whims of whoever holds the license at a given time. After all, they only consigned those stories to 'Legends' so they could create new mysteries to hook an audience eager to discover the answers. Removing the stories was removing the cheat sheet.

It would suck having to accept the spoof trilogy as canon.

This actually comes off as straight up saying you are the superior fan. :cuckoo: :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Funny thing is, those childhood heroes actually did abandon you, you are just too attached to see it. Your like the kid who thinks his dad is still coming back five years later after going out for cigarettes. Guess what kid! The father you knew is never coming back! Just like the Luke you knew is never coming back!

I want to play this game since you brought it up. Who is the superior Star Wars fan.

Did you read the EU? All the books and comics? I have. I didn't abandon them. If you didn't, your DNA is about abandoning your childhood heroes, only have the stamina to consume two hours every three years.

Kinda can?t accept that the franchise tanked tbh. He seems like he?s forcing himself to like anything OT related cause it?s Star Wars.

I was the same way with asm franchise. I kinda made myself like it cause I was a Spider-Man fan but deep down I knew they sucked ass and should of done better

Canon is what you want it to be, unless you're a slave to the whims of whoever holds the license at a given time. After all, they only consigned those stories to 'Legends' so they could create new mysteries to hook an audience eager to discover the answers. Removing the stories was removing the cheat sheet.

It would suck having to accept the spoof trilogy as canon.

It was a joke... I think it was a **** move by Disney to do that to the fans.

I also agree with you.. Canon is what you want it to be. So if you want it to be the books and comics go right ahead.

I never cared about the books or comics... It didn't happen on film so I didn't / don't care.

My Canon is the PT, OT, ST, RO, Solo, TCW, Rebels, The Mandalorian, and the Star Wars Holiday Special :lol

Oh man I almost forgot about the Ewok tv specials also... Add those to my Canon list :lol

It means one of two things (maybe both): 1.) even his best troops were shockingly incompetent, and/or 2.) Ewoks were a horrendously bad idea by GL. :lol

He did have a point that, like with the Viet Cong, local knowledge and expertise could trump sheer military might. But... teddy bears?

Word is spreading that a Solo continuation show will be announced for D+.

Nothing makes sense anymore lol

They already covered every OT reference in the space of one film. They have no more source material to go on.

(Except for that bounty hunter they ran into on Ord Mantell...)

Kinda can?t accept that the franchise tanked tbh. He seems like he?s forcing himself to like anything OT related cause it?s Star Wars.

I was the same way with asm franchise. I kinda made myself like it cause I was a Spider-Man fan but deep down I knew they sucked ass and should of done better

Its still my least fav argument you make...

Anyways

There are things about ASM films that are done better then any of the other SM movies. I personally loved the look of the films and the action was some of the best in any SM movie.

But yeah they are pretty much crap :lol

It was a joke... I think it was a **** move by Disney to do that to the fans.

I also agree with you.. Canon is what you want it to be. So if you want it to be the books and comics go right ahead.

I never cared about the books or comics... It didn't happen on film so I didn't / don't care.

My Canon is the PT, OT, ST, RO, Solo, TCW, Rebels, The Mandalorian, and the Star Wars Holiday Special :lol

Oh man I almost forgot about the Ewok tv specials also... Add those to my Canon list :lol

:lol

Now you see where the route of 'film only canon' leads!

Mine would be Solo, RO, OT, The Mandalorian, plus books and comics on a case by case basis.

The original Marvel comic series was wacky but fun, and largely a candidate for 'Legend' status

The earliest EU novels were a perfect accompaniment to the films and felt in-universe.

I still like Splinter of the Mind's Eye, but the unexpected success of the '77 film rendered it a 'Legend'.

The Phantom Menace felt like a departure from what made 1970s Star Wars so appealing. Star Wars had become Trade Wars, and it was all downhill until RO showed there was a way back.

Solo and The Mandalorian capture the spirit of the early EU.

The ST hobbled itself by having to depart from a mass of stories and set off with half an idea. Star Wars had become Star Bores.

The worst part of the ST is the characters, especially Romeo and Juliet (Kylo and Rey) - which is apt because the ST is a tragedy. Kill off the Skywalker line and give the name to a clean sheet to set a new arc in motion. Only she wasn't a clean sheet by the time they'd cobbled together the final film. She was a Palpatine.

The ST feels like a spoof akin to a Robot Chicken skit.

3w7zc7.jpg

:lol

Now you see where the route of 'film only canon' leads!

Mine would be Solo, RO, OT, The Mandalorian, plus books and comics on a case by case basis.

The original Marvel comic series was wacky but fun, and largely a candidate for 'Legend' status

The earliest EU novels were a perfect accompaniment to the films and felt in-universe.

I still like Splinter of the Mind's Eye, but the unexpected success of the '77 film rendered it a 'Legend'.

The Phantom Menace felt like a departure from what made 1970s Star Wars so appealing. Star Wars had become Trade Wars, and it was all downhill until RO showed there was a way back.

Solo and The Mandalorian capture the spirit of the early EU.

The ST hobbled itself by having to depart from a mass of stories and set off with half an idea. Star Wars had become Star Bores.

The worst part of the ST is the characters, especially Romeo and Juliet (Kylo and Rey) - which is apt because the ST is a tragedy. Kill off the Skywalker line and give the name to a clean sheet to set a new arc in motion. Only she wasn't a clean sheet by the time they'd cobbled together the final film. She was a Palpatine.

The ST feels like a spoof akin to a Robot Chicken skit.

OT is forever the real Canon. But I love me some SW so I am fine with accepting the PT, ST, the Mandalorian, the standalone films and the two cartoon series as canon.

Speaking of Star Bores.. I am really surprised that the Mandalorian gets as much love as it does. Some of the episodes are only ok IMO. I still like it overall but IDK I am just not as in love with it as much as others. I am not a huge fan weekly stand alone stories.. I prefer more running storylines.. I hope that season 2 is more like that. Don't get me wrong its good... It just lacks something for me.. I think a better musical score would help. Seems like the music is always quiet and not very Star Wars like..

Anyways.. I think the Ewok TV movies are the only live action Star Wars I have never seen.

Speaking of Star Bores.. I am really surprised that the Mandalorian gets as much love as it does. Some of the episodes are only ok IMO. I still like it overall but IDK I am just not as in love with it as much as others. I am not a huge fan weekly stand alone stories.. I prefer more running storylines.. I hope that season 2 is more like that. Don't get me wrong its good... It just lacks something for me.. I think a better musical score would help. Seems like the music is always quiet and not very Star Wars like..

The Mandalorian takes Star Wars back to its roots: a live-action weekly serial. While I generally only watch a series once I have all the episodes it would've been pretty hard to wait that long with this since there was so much on-line discussion.

Where it differs from the roots is that it follows the X-Files or Supernatural format, whereby the main story line occasionally takes a back seat while the main characters engage in a separate adventure. With The Mandalorian these are points that interrupt his journey and delay his goal, as they interrupted Odysseus in the Odyssey.

The music does seem a little odd at times, but catchy. The Rocky theme catches me every time!

How Ludwig Goransson Became Directors? Secret Musical Weapon

... The key to the modern-western sound of "The Mandalorian"? A flute theme that Goransson came up with once Jon Favreau, the show's creator, shared his vision - which involved a lonesome rider and a samurai inspiration. The series exists in "more of a dystopic part of the 'Star Wars' history", Favreau said, "and technology and deconstruction are themes that we explore."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/11/arts/music/ludwig-goransson-mandalorian.html

Its still my least fav argument you make...

Anyways

There are things about ASM films that are done better then any of the other SM movies. I personally loved the look of the films and the action was some of the best in any SM movie.

But yeah they are pretty much crap :lol

Lol I just see myself in jye .

Also while some things do work other things don?t.

The parent story was stupid, the villains looked bad , Peter did t act like peter and it?s just ...... crap. Pure crap.

People crap on raimi films for being cheesy but those films had passion and heart and damn good music. Asm was a rush job to keep the rights that failed

The Mandalorian takes Star Wars back to its roots: a live-action weekly serial. While I generally only watch a series once I have all the episodes it would've been pretty hard to wait that long with this since there was so much on-line discussion.

Yeah but it lacks the cliff hangers.. So it ends up not being all that exciting.

Where it differs from the roots is that it follows the X-Files or Supernatural format, whereby the main story line occasionally takes a back seat while the main characters engage in a separate adventure. With The Mandalorian these are points that interrupt his journey and delay his goal, as they interrupted Odysseus in the Odyssey.

I like Supernatural.. It has its stand alone stories for sure. One of the few shows that IMO do it well. The Mandalorian doesn't do it that well IMO. In all honesty I can only remember the last two episodes, the first episode, and the awful episode with the AT-ST... I have little memory of the other episodes.. Maybe its time to give it another look.

The music does seem a little odd at times, but catchy. The Rocky theme catches me every time!

Some of the music in that theme is OK but overall I don't care for it.. It has a very TV series sound to it... Does have that Rocky vs Creed sound to it :lol

Ill have to read the article you posted tomorrow.

[/QUOTE]

I like Supernatural.. It has its stand alone stories for sure. One of the few shows that IMO do it well.

I tried to get into Supernatural a few years back and couldn't get through the first season.

Then a couple of months ago something spurred me to try again, and I got hooked. I've just reached the eleventh season.

I guess what The Mandalorian lacks is a regular companion, since he's an archetypal loner. Baby Yoda acts as a comedy foil, but it's not the same as having the banter between Dean and Sam. On that note, one of my favourite series is Buffy the Vampire Slayer (followed closely by Angel) for its characters and sparkling dialogue. Supernatural imitates it, but doesn't always pose a challenge - though the musical episode, 'Fan Fiction', captured the spirit.

The 'always wearing a helmet in public' might prove to be a regrettable decision for a series that is presumed to run for some time. That was something which was mocked in TROS with Kylo, who couldn't decide whether he should wear it or not. And what was the point of wearing it in meetings when the people there already knew what he looked like without it?

For Djarin it's pretty much a religious practice to remain masked. Religions make slaves of people, and he's a slave to a Mandalorian code. In this he becomes more like Caradine's Kwai Chang Caine in Kung Fu, than Eastwood's opportunistic Man With No Name, which seemed to be the main inspiration in the first episode.

When Vader first wore the mask it enhanced the air of mystery and threat. Mystery being the prime motive since in the serials the main villain was often masked so the viewer wouldn't know which of the regular actors was the villain.

I tried to get into Supernatural a few years back and couldn't get through the first season.

Then a couple of months ago something spurred me to try again, and I got hooked. I've just reached the eleventh season.

I guess what The Mandalorian lacks is a regular companion, since he's an archetypal loner. Baby Yoda acts as a comedy foil, but it's not the same as having the banter between Dean and Sam. On that note, one of my favourite series is Buffy the Vampire Slayer (followed closely by Angel) for its characters and sparkling dialogue. Supernatural imitates it, but doesn't always pose a challenge - though the musical episode, 'Fan Fiction', captured the spirit.

The 'always wearing a helmet in public' might prove to be a regrettable decision for a series that is presumed to run for some time. That was something which was mocked in TROS with Kylo, who couldn't decide whether he should wear it or not. And what was the point of wearing it in meetings when the people there already knew what he looked like without it?

For Djarin it's pretty much a religious practice to remain masked. Religions make slaves of people, and he's a slave to a Mandalorian code. In this he becomes more like Caradine's Kwai Chang Caine in Kung Fu, than Eastwood's opportunistic Man With No Name, which seemed to be the main inspiration in the first episode.

When Vader first wore the mask it enhanced the air of mystery and threat. Mystery being the prime motive since in the serials the main villain was often masked so the viewer wouldn't know which of the regular actors was the villain.

I had the same issue with Supernatural also.. Tried to get into it the first season but stopped about 6 episodes in... But by the 5th season it was getting really good word of mouth and I decided to give it a go again and loved it. The show has lost its way a bit.. I stopped after season 12... I think I am going to give it another go here pretty soon.. I have heard the 15th season will be the last.

I actually love Buffy and Angel also.. Those shows did a good job of the stand alone episodes combined with the running storyline also.

I agree about The Mandalorian lacking a true companion.. But even more I think the show lacked a main Villain (until the end) Star Wars is as much about its villains as its hero's and this show did not have a true main antagonist. We are stuck following just Mando the whole time who doesn't talk much and wears a helmet the whole time and without a true companion it can get a bit dull.

Because of this it makes the galaxy feel small.. Some of this I am sure is because its a lower budget but I was kinda surprised how much this show feels like "Made for TV". This is where a more robust musical score might help. It would help make it feel more like the universe we love and give it a more grander scale.

I'm just going to have to watch it again.. Like I said I don't hate the show.. Just shocked that it is getting the love its getting.

"Master Yoda you can't die."

"Strong am I with the Force, but not THAT strong."

Yet another exchange that has new meaning after TROS. :rock

I am going to not include that as head canon.. I prefer that it is a bit of sarcasm by Yoda rather then a serious statement.

Of all the things in TROS and The Mandalorian, the healing force power is probably my least fav thing. I accept it and it makes for a good ending for TROS.. But its something I would rather have not have had in the lore. I can chalk it up to Rey reading the ancient Jedi text and may the Dyad having something to do with it at the end.. But ultimately it will create more questions then answers.

It's like the running super fast moment from the beginning of TPM... Why wouldn't Jedi use it all the time? Just Haul ass.. Why didn't Rey heal Poe's arm?

That...was...awesome!

Man I freaking love this saga, lol. :yess:

I honestly can?t stop playing this I have it on a loop in my living room my son is mesmerized lol

"Master Yoda you can't die."

"Strong am I with the Force, but not THAT strong."

Yet another exchange that has new meaning after TROS. :rock

I just like it that they went back to basics and used the most famous dialogue attached to the franchise for Rey to defeat the sith.

May the Force be with you.

She connected and the force was simply yet totally with her.

I also like playing with the first spoken dialogue in the ST, the teaser trailer:

There has been an awakening, have you felt it. (Palpatine)

The dark side...and the light. (Dyad)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to not include that as head canon.. I prefer that it is a bit of sarcasm by Yoda rather then a serious statement.

It can still be sarcastic though, just like when TLJ Luke sarcastically asked "What do you want me to do, walk out with a lasersword in front of the entire FO," which he then *did.*

Of all the things in TROS and The Mandalorian, the healing force power is probably my least fav thing. I accept it and it makes for a good ending for TROS.. But its something I would rather have not have had in the lore. I can chalk it up to Rey reading the ancient Jedi text and may the Dyad having something to do with it at the end.. But ultimately it will create more questions then answers.

I love the Force healing and don't think it "breaks" anything.

It's like the running super fast moment from the beginning of TPM... Why wouldn't Jedi use it all the time? Just Haul ass..

Yeah that was goofy. But I don't think that Force Healing is something the Jedi would use "all the time." For starters after 25,000 years of peace and justice they might have started to feel invincible, gotten cocky and eventually stopped teaching it over the years. Or just kept it as something that a few high level Masters knew but that wasn't really used or taught to everyone. It can also be one of those things that Anakin complained to Palpatine about when he said "I know there are things about the Force they aren't telling me."

Now I'm picturing Obi-Wan and Ki Adi Mundi whispering about Force healing:

"right and then after you've transferred some of your Force energy--"

*Anakin enters the room*

*loudly* "--um I mean that Gundark burger was delicious wasn't it?"

Anakin (frowning): "Hmph."

:)

Because there really wasn't any time that I can think where Force Healing would have been used in the PT anyway. I saw one YouTuber say "well why didn't Obi-Wan heal Qui Gon's wound????" And to that I easily would say that Obi-Wan simply didn't know how at that time. And since Padme apparently didn't die from any physical injury it assumedly couldn't have been used on her anyway. It's fun to think that Kenobi eventually learned it though and that that's what he was doing to revive Luke on Tatooine when he touched his temples after the Sandpeople attack.

Why didn't Rey heal Poe's arm?

Because she would have only seen his wound after Kylo told her "You don't just have power, you have *his* power. You...are a Palpatine." Which threw her into turmoil and caused her to question every aspect of who she was and why she could do what she did. She had also just disintegrated an entire transport while trying to "help" Chewie so that's another reason that at that point in the movie she'd be holding back on using her powers on anyone else.

I do assume that she would have healed him shortly after they all returned from Exegol though.

Last edited:
I honestly can?t stop playing this I have it on a loop in my living room my son is mesmerized lol

Yep that one single music video has done more to help me accept the PT than anything else, lol. The cutting back and forth between Obi-Wan and Anakin grappling around the lava with Rey and Kylo grappling in the snow. Holy freaking crap that is awesome.

I just like it that they went back to basics and used the most famous dialogue attached to the franchise for Rey to defeat the sith.

May the Force be with you.

She connected and the force was simply yet totally with her.

Yep so true also Yoda's simple statement to Luke "A Jedi's power flows from the Force" which is exactly what happened when Rey destroyed Palpatine.

I also like playing with the first spoken dialogue in the ST, the teaser trailer:

There has been an awakening, have you felt it. (Palpatine)

The dark side...and the light. (Dyad)

Ooh I like thinking about the dyad with that, nice! :duff

Back