Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also I do take Luke's line in TLJ "if you strike me down in anger I'll always be with you, just like your father" and Luke saying "no one is ever really gone" in reference to both Kylo and Han (via the dice) to suggest that he himself had learned through the Force that non-Jedi can also live on as ghosts.

Last edited:
tumblr_ppv1v5N7AS1sbn7cs_540.gif

3y8t8p.jpg

lol

I?m enjoying drawing parallels between ROTS Anakin being manipulated by Palpatine with promises of saving Padme and TROS Kylo having a dyad with Rey (Palpatine) that is in a way honoring what Anakin was hoping to learn which was healing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is that a parallel? Or even honoring Anakin? It just ****s all over him and the PT/OT. "hey, this magical new thing that nobody ever knew about it created to justify this mess of a story. Oh yeah, only Rey/Kylo can heal, but nobody else, because nobody bothered to learn it, but Rey, a deserted clone sand baby and an angsty young adult know it!"

And why aren't you upset about no mention whatsoever of a dyad in anything Star Wars before TROS, but complain about no mention of TCW final arc in ROTS?

Also, have to say, I'm very disappointed no one wants to agree or disagree with mine and Khev's epic theory about Anakin Palpatine, Luke Palpatine, etc...

It completely changes how you view Star Wars. Truly epic.

Rey becoming a Skywalker.. Doesn't matter if you think she has literally become a Skywalker or just planted the name to hers it is a symbol of the Skywalker name living on after the death of the Luke, Leia, and Ben. Rey will go on teaching the force and tell stories of the Heroics of Luke, Leia, and Ben. The Skywalker name goes on through her.

:yuck

Well, she literally doesn't become a Skywalker. I've already proven how ridiculous that notion was, but alas, crickets. That's a trend I noticed here, when someone is right, it's just ignored. :lol

You say planted, I say stole because she is delusional. You know how else the Skywalker name could have went on? By making one actually survive!

We don't even know if Rey will go on teaching. ST was so bad, Disney had to go back thousands of years for new stories. Imagine that. PT had content following it up immediately.

Now that's some serious hair splitting but that's what we do so I'll say this in response. You're acting like Leia simply startled him during the battle and therefore that "doesn't count" in turning him and that it was only her death *seconds later* that *did* count in turning him and by that time it was moot because Rey had already won and so therefore his entire redemption was meaningless in helping turn the tide against Palpatine and only served to do nothing but be a means to bring Rey back to life at the end. Correct?

Pretty much correct. Kylo's redemption had purpose in closing the loop between he and his parents. But as far as having any practical value in defeating Palpatine? No; that was all Rey, IMO.

Ben's presence did nothing more than give Palps a chance to suck the life out of the Dyad and become stronger. Had he not been there, Rey would've faced off against a more feeble version of Palpatine (in a weakened clone body). You say she would've killed Palps and fought for control of her soul in order to save the Resistance. If so, maybe she would've succeeded. She's Rey, after all; capable of absolutely anything. ;)

Well for one thing I find it interesting that you use that interpretation to dismiss the narrative weight of Ben's redemption when a few posts ago you said that Anakin's redemption *did* have meaning because it allowed Luke to be saved. So there's obviously quite the double standard there.

No double standard. Here's why: Anakin's redemption *WAS* the focus of the narrative!! How do you not understand the difference, Khev? What has come to be known as the *Skywalker* Saga is defined by Vader's turn to the dark, and then his return to the light. To save his family!

I'm blown away that you can't tell the difference between the narrative value of Vader/Anakin turning in ROTJ and Kylo/Ben turning in TROS. Even if we just break it down to practical value, Vader killing the Emperor (and dying in the process) is an actual act of heroism that not only kills the bad guy, but also provides resolution to Luke's journey. That was the point of the OT: Luke's journey ended with becoming a Jedi and having his father redeemed. That's why we got the cheesy ghost scene at the end of ROTJ.

The ST, on the other hand, became all about Rey's journey, and was magnified by the fact that she faced off against her grandfather. *That* is what the ST narrative turned into: not about the Skywalkers, but about two Palpatines. About a Jedi against a Sith. And Ben's redemption did nothing to influence the ultimate resolution. He gave Rey new life, but only after she finished the job of resolving the conflict. So, yes his redemption has value in the sense of sacrifice on behalf of someone else, but not in terms of conflict resolution or narrative summary. Not at all similar to the value of Anakin's. But it should've been, since this 9-part story is supposed to be about the Skywalkers.

But I still don't agree with that take in the first place because Leia's act just isn't that granular. "Boo!" "Ah!" *stab* *dies* *turns*

No, she called his name and turned him from the Dark. He would have felt her life draining away as she did that. We know this because both Rey and Leia were able to feel Luke's "peace and purpose" as he died in TLJ. When you have a connection with someone in the Force you don't just have an awareness of their presence but you actually feel what they are feeling. At least when you have a deep bond with them. We also know that apparently the bond that immediate family members have is definitely stronger than someone not related *even if that person is the most powerful Force user in the galaxy.*

Case in point, the Emperor and Vader in ROTJ. "My son is with them. I felt him." "Strange that I have not. I wonder if your feelings for this are clearer Lord Vader?" "They are clearer." So even being a Palpatine doesn't give you the inside track on the connection of direct family members. So Rey's senses aren't the end all be all example of what Ben felt from his mother.

Ben would have known what she was doing, felt what she was feeling, and stepped away from the Dark as a result.

If that's how you see it, fine. But how does that have any effect at all on how Ben's redemption influenced the narrative? That's the topic that started this back and forth.

If you want to focus instead on minutia, I can keep playing that game too: If a bad guy Force user can also sense a close connection in pain and dying, why didn't Anakin feel Padme dying? Why did he need Palpatine to break the news? Why didn't he sense that his twins survived? Did Kylo also feel Luke dying? Did that have an effect on him? When the Force is involved, there are hardly ever certainties, just interpretations.

What matters most is the central issue: did Ben's redemption serve to tie the ST into the broader saga narrative about the Skywalker family? Was it worth undoing Anakin's role in Palpatine's death to make Rey's battle with her grandfather the climactic takeaway, rather than have Kylo/Ben be the central change-maker (since he was the true Skywalker) with Luke's influence? Did the resolution to Kylo's arc have the same prominence as Rey's arc? No, I don't even think it's close. And that's what bothers me. I wish this ST ended with a stronger connection to Luke, Leia, Anakin, and Ben.

Yes. Snoke called it out and Rey saw it too. Very clearly when they were connected and he said "Yes, I am a monster" and then she flinched in surprise, her furious expression softening suggesting that she was beginning to realize that his "monstrous" demeanor was a ruse. I think this was *very* clear throughout the entire ST and it's a credit to Driver's incredibly nuanced performance.

Yes he was feeding off anger even through his confrontation with Luke but there is a constant undertone of another layer to Kylo that he was still deeply upset that his connection to his parents and uncle was broken. Every film in the ST suggests that the "monster" was a cover for the pain he was feeling. Do I think that he was pulling back from the darkness in TLJ when he sensed his mother on the Raddus? Yes I do! But then her "death" and the imminent destruction of the rest of the Resistance made it moot and he just gave right back in to the Darkness again.

If this chink in the armor was so obvious, why didn't you see it after TLJ? You were very locked into the idea that Kylo was irreedemable after TLJ. If the splitting of the soul, and the monster facade, was the clear takeaway leading up to TROS, why were you arguing it from the other side?

Believe it or not, you even refuted the idea that Kylo's hesitation to pull the trigger on the Raddus bridge meant that his conflict was building to redemption. I can find those posts for you if you want. But now you're saying that the opposite was obvious all along?

Pretty much correct. Kylo's redemption had purpose in closing the loop between he and his parents. But as far as having any practical value in defeating Palpatine? No; that was all Rey, IMO.

Ben's presence did nothing more than give Palps a chance to suck the life out of the Dyad and become stronger. Had he not been there, Rey would've faced off against a more feeble version of Palpatine (in a weakened clone body). You say she would've killed Palps and fought for control of her soul in order to save the Resistance. If so, maybe she would've succeeded. She's Rey, after all; capable of absolutely anything. ;)

No double standard. Here's why: Anakin's redemption *WAS* the focus of the narrative!! How do you not understand the difference, Khev? What has come to be known as the *Skywalker* Saga is defined by Vader's turn to the dark, and then his return to the light. To save his family!

I'm blown away that you can't tell the difference between the narrative value of Vader/Anakin turning in ROTJ and Kylo/Ben turning in TROS. Even if we just break it down to practical value, Vader killing the Emperor (and dying in the process) is an actual act of heroism that not only kills the bad guy, but also provides resolution to Luke's journey. That was the point of the OT: Luke's journey ended with becoming a Jedi and having his father redeemed. That's why we got the cheesy ghost scene at the end of ROTJ.

The ST, on the other hand, became all about Rey's journey, and was magnified by the fact that she faced off against her grandfather. *That* is what the ST narrative turned into: not about the Skywalkers, but about two Palpatines. About a Jedi against a Sith. And Ben's redemption did nothing to influence the ultimate resolution. He gave Rey new life, but only after she finished the job of resolving the conflict. So, yes his redemption has value in the sense of sacrifice on behalf of someone else, but not in terms of conflict resolution or narrative summary. Not at all similar to the value of Anakin's. But it should've been, since this 9-part story is supposed to be about the Skywalkers.

If that's how you see it, fine. But how does that have any effect at all on how Ben's redemption influenced the narrative? That's the topic that started this back and forth.

If you want to focus instead on minutia, I can keep playing that game too: If a bad guy Force user can also sense a close connection in pain and dying, why didn't Anakin feel Padme dying? Why did he need Palpatine to break the news? Why didn't he sense that his twins survived? Did Kylo also feel Luke dying? Did that have an effect on him? When the Force is involved, there are hardly ever certainties, just interpretations.

What matters most is the central issue: did Ben's redemption serve to tie the ST into the broader saga narrative about the Skywalker family? Was it worth undoing Anakin's role in Palpatine's death to make Rey's battle with her grandfather the climactic takeaway, rather than have Kylo/Ben be the central change-maker (since he was the true Skywalker) with Luke's influence? Did the resolution to Kylo's arc have the same prominence as Rey's arc? No, I don't even think it's close. And that's what bothers me. I wish this ST ended with a stronger connection to Luke, Leia, Anakin, and Ben.

If this chink in the armor was so obvious, why didn't you see it after TLJ? You were very locked into the idea that Kylo was irreedemable after TLJ. If the splitting of the soul, and the monster facade, was the clear takeaway leading up to TROS, why were you arguing it from the other side?

Believe it or not, you even refuted the idea that Kylo's hesitation to pull the trigger on the Raddus bridge meant that his conflict was building to redemption. I can find those posts for you if you want. But now you're saying that the opposite was obvious all along?

Some really good stuff here AJP. Didn't know Khev was a flip-flopper. Ironic.

Small correction.

It is the Palpatine Saga now. Skywalker's never actually existed.

Small correction.

In some ways, it really is. I hate that the ST went that direction, but it's easy enough to just ignore the whole thing and regard the "Lucas Saga" separately.

In some ways, it really is. I hate that the ST went that direction, but it's easy enough to just ignore the whole thing and regard the "Lucas Saga" separately.

No, I mean it actually is the Palpatine saga.

Anakin Skywalker is actually Anakin Palpatine.

Rey is still a Palpatine at the end. Not even just in name since the very "Force energy" that gives life to her bones is the same that came from a biological descendant of Anakin himself!

Palpatine used his Force Energy to create life, aka Anakin. Anakin Palpatine married Padme, Anakin used that Force energy to create life as well and Padme gave birth to Luke Palpatine and Leia Palpatine. Leia Palpatine married Han, extended that Force energy and gives birth to Ben Palpatine. Rey is a biological descendant of Palpatine, being his granddaughter. So when Ben uses Force energy that gives life to her bones, it is the same that came from Anakin and thus Palpatine himself! Rey is like a double Palpatine now!

It is truly a ground breaking theory.

No, I mean it actually is the Palpatine saga.

Anakin Skywalker is actually Anakin Palpatine.

Rey is still a Palpatine at the end. Not even just in name since the very "Force energy" that gives life to her bones is the same that came from a biological descendant of Anakin himself!

Palpatine used his Force Energy to create life, aka Anakin. Anakin Palpatine married Padme, Anakin used that Force energy to create life as well and Padme gave birth to Luke Palpatine and Leia Palpatine. Leia Palpatine married Han, extended that Force energy and gives birth to Ben Palpatine. Rey is a biological descendant of Palpatine, being his granddaughter. So when Ben uses Force energy that gives life to her bones, it is the same that came from Anakin and thus Palpatine himself! Rey is like a double Palpatine now!

It is truly a ground breaking theory.

I knew where you were going with that, but I'm not here to ridicule other people's theories and interpretations. If I don't agree with them, I'll state why and we can go back and forth about it until we're bored with the discussion.

But, since you know a great deal about the PT era, I want to take this opportunity to ask you something that I want to be clear about. Did Palpatine actually create Anakin, or have a role in it? I know the comics suggested it, but then backtracked on it. Is that still up in the air? I prefer to believe that the Force itself created Anakin, but I'll defer to whatever Lucas intended.

I knew where you were going with that, but I'm not here to ridicule other people's theories and interpretations. If I don't agree with them, I'll state why and we can go back and forth about it until we're bored with the discussion.

But, since you know a great deal about the PT era, I want to take this opportunity to ask you something that I want to be clear about. Did Palpatine actually create Anakin, or have a role in it? I know the comics suggested it, but then backtracked on it. Is that still up in the air? I prefer to believe that the Force itself created Anakin, but I'll defer to whatever Lucas intended.

In the EU, in the novel Darth Plagueis, it is believed that Darth Plagueis, Palpatine's Sith Master, created Anakin Skywalker. But, through the will of the Force, Plagueis' attempt was rejected, and the Force gave birth to the Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker. Plagueis wanted to make a living version of the Force and manipulate the Midichlorians to create life to serve his own needs.

Basically Plagueis meddled in things that were not to be meddled in, Force got pissed, and it lead to Anakin.

In the Disney EU, it is hinted that Palpatine created Anakin, but that has been denied.

I believe George never wanted Anakin's origins revealed an rather keep it as a true child born of the force, by the force.

In the EU, in the novel Darth Plagueis, it is believed that Darth Plagueis, Palpatine's Sith Master, created Anakin Skywalker. But, through the will of the Force, Plagueis' attempt was rejected, and the Force gave birth to the Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker. Plagueis wanted to make a living version of the Force and manipulate the Midichlorians to create life to serve his own needs.

Basically Plagueis meddled in things that were not to be meddled in, Force got pissed, and it lead to Anakin.

In the Disney EU, it is hinted that Palpatine created Anakin, but that has been denied.

I believe George never wanted Anakin's origins revealed an rather keep it as a true child born of the force, by the force.

Excellent! And "a true child born of the force, by the force" is exactly what I prefer. Thank you very much for the info! :duff

I was glad to see that Lando and Wedge were not brought back to the series to be killed off. I wish Wedge had a bigger part but it was great seeing them both. Lando was great in the movie with the few scenes he had. Still had the Calrissian charm too.

:yuck

Well, she literally doesn't become a Skywalker. I've already proven how ridiculous that notion was, but alas, crickets. That's a trend I noticed here, when someone is right, it's just ignored. :lol

I never said she did become a Skywalker... I said it didn't matter how you viewed it... Its a symbol of the name going on.
You say planted, I say stole because she is delusional. You know how else the Skywalker name could have went on? By making one actually survive!

Well I don't know what to tell you.. You view it as stolen.. I view it as honoring the name. She went her whole life without a last name.. She could have chosen Palps but decided to honor Skywalker.. I liked it.

As for having one survive.. Well will never know what the plan was for Leia.. Life took over on that one.

We don't even know if Rey will go on teaching. ST was so bad, Disney had to go back thousands of years for new stories. Imagine that. PT had content following it up immediately.

I figure that is assumed since Luke told her that Leia said the next person to pick up the saber would be the one to complete the her path. If she does not win then the Jedi will end. As well as the whole thousand generations live in you now.. Again I don't get this whole Its got to be spelled out?

I think if Jedi was made today people would say.. We don't know if Luke is going to train more Jedi.. Yoda told him to pass on what he has learned but Luke never said he would...

I was glad to see that Lando and Wedge were not brought back to the series to be killed off. I wish Wedge had a bigger part but it was great seeing them both. Lando was great in the movie with the few scenes he had. Still had the Calrissian charm too.

I could have used some more Wedge for sure.

I liked Lando more in this film then any of the others :lol

I could be wrong but I think the argument about this has gone off the tracks. I think the original point was that if Vader was not redeemed that Luke would have died but the Death Star still would have been blown up thus killing Vader and the Emperor.

Had Kylo never turned then he may have killed Rey or even if Rey won then she would have gone with the Emperors plan to strike him down.

I don't think that the original argument was about the importance of Vader's redemption and what it meant to the story.

But maybe I missed something in all the back and forth :lol

I will say this.. I don't really view it as the Skywalker Saga. Episode 1-6 is but I think the ST feels more like an extended Epilogue. Its not about Luke and Leia fully. Its about Rey. Which is fine IMO.

When these films were first announced I always thought that the Original cast would be in TFA and then be sidelined after that with little to no appearances in the next two films.

The biggest grievance seems to be the fact that after ROTJ everything was not happily ever after for our hero's. Well to make an Episode 7-9 with the original cast then there was no way that life was going to be happily ever after.

I have said it before.. IMO the only way to explain the rise of another "Empire" is to make the hero's life tragic. Otherwise what the hell were they all doing?

Ben Solo was the perfect thing to break up our hero's and allow for another Empire to rise.

The only alternative was to now have the OT cast in it at all.. I might have been cool with that also.

I will say this.. I don't really view it as the Skywalker Saga. Episode 1-6 is but I think the ST feels more like an extended Epilogue. Its not about Luke and Leia fully. Its about Rey. Which is fine IMO.

The problem is the OT cast, the force, and the universe were disgracefully used to prop up the almighty Rey. It's obvious now that this was Kathleen Kennedy's agenda from the start, and the ONLY PLAN she had going in to all this. A cohesive story that honored the saga didn't matter so long as Rey wins Star Wars in the end.

The only Disney stuff that I acknowledge is Rogue One and The Mandalorian. Solo came sorta close, but it wasn't a story I really needed told, the actor didn't really work well for Han(at least for me), and L3 was another agenda driven character shoehorned in. I am afraid for season 2 of The Mandalorian though.

I could be wrong but I think the argument about this has gone off the tracks. I think the original point was that if Vader was not redeemed that Luke would have died but the Death Star still would have been blown up thus killing Vader and the Emperor.

Had Kylo never turned then he may have killed Rey or even if Rey won then she would have gone with the Emperors plan to strike him down.

I don't think that the original argument was about the importance of Vader's redemption and what it meant to the story.

But maybe I missed something in all the back and forth :lol

The original point I made, which Khev took issue with, is that Kylo's redemption not only had little to no practical effect on the outcome of the main conflict, but that it served no worthy purpose in the overall narrative.

That's when Khev compared my argument to Vader's redemption in ROTJ by saying that his turn to the light could be seen the same way. Khev argued that Vader's redemption didn't accomplish much practical value either since the DS2 would've been destroyed anyway, and the Emperor with it.

But Vader himself killed Palpatine, and died in the process, to save Luke. That was what the OT narrative was leading to. Would Palpatine have died anyway? Maybe, but maybe not. Luke got out of there in time, right? But Luke surely would've been dead because Palps would've killed him. That changes the entire narrative, and not just of one movie. To me, that's a big difference.

Without Vader's turn, Luke dies without fulfilling his destiny and redeeming his father. Without Kylo's turn, what changes? Even his resurrecting of Rey wouldn't need to happen because Palps wouldn't have been able to use that powerful lightning that killed everyone in the room (Rey included). So, I'm not convinced that Kylo's turn even mattered to the larger narrative. His sacrifice came when everything was already over. And his role in the conflict resolution is indirect at best, IMO.

A pointless argument? Yes. But that's what we do around here. :)

Back