Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I would rank the original films above any EU story, a few of my favorite characters are exclusively featured in the EU (Kyle Katarn, Thrawn, Corran Horn, HK-47) or are bit parts in the movies that have much more substantial role in the EU (Wedge, the ESB Bounty Hunters, the Cantina patrons, Jabba's Palace denizens). Kyle Katarn ranks #1 slightly above Han, Luke, and Obi-Wan.

I would rank most of the EU above the prequels only because I grew up with them. KotOR, The Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, the X-Wing series, and the Young Jedi Knight Chronicles stood out above the rest for me.

Vader is the greatest cinematic villain of all time. (Hans Gruber comes 2nd and T-Rex takes 3rd).

"I am your father" is the greatest cinematic spoken dialogue of all time. (All out of bubble gum comes 2nd and Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn takes 3rd)

Vader is the greatest cinematic villain of all time. (Hans Gruber comes 2nd and T-Rex takes 3rd).

"I am your father" is the greatest cinematic spoken dialogue of all time. (All out of bubble gum comes 2nd and Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn takes 3rd)

He WAS until the prequels came along and gave us this:

and this!

I really hate when people say this. I really do. The NOOOOO scream is just as bad as Lukes NOOOOO scream. Little Ani didn't ruin Vader. What did you think when he was a child? He burned things? Force choked his mom? Built the death star?

And yes. Darth Vader is the greatest cinematic villain of all time. Sorry, but there really is no debate.

New Entertainment weekly collectible covers...

ewtfacover1.jpg

ewtfacover2.jpg

ewtfacover3.jpg

ewtfacover4.jpg

Star Wars magazines are all over the place right now. The EW ones look nice. This has been my favorite one thus far...

newsweekSpecialEdition_2015-11.jpg

I really hate when people say this. I really do. The NOOOOO scream is just as bad as Lukes NOOOOO scream. Little Ani didn't ruin Vader. What did you think when he was a child? He burned things? Force choked his mom? Built the death star?

And yes. Darth Vader is the greatest cinematic villain of all time. Sorry, but there really is no debate.

1e48392d8df59bcfbc11f7decbcac7a1155839151e5fece526e011d44ccd468e.jpg

I remember opening night, Revenge of the Sith. Big climactic moment at the finish, PACKED theater, people laughing when Vader screams NOOOOOO. Not trying to pick a fight, but little Ani should never have been little Ani. Episode 1 would have been a lot more interesting had he already been Hayden Christensen's age. :)

The AFI disagrees. Anonymous henchman in flimsy plastic helmet with mommy issues is nothing compared to Hannibal Lecter. He'll make Annie cry again and eat his face off while he casually drinks his chianti. :lecture

ROTJ ruined Vader long before the prequels. The greatest villain should not be redeemable...and by the end of ROTJ, he was good. Some villain...still a great character, but not even close to greatest villain.

The AFI disagrees. Anonymous henchman in flimsy plastic helmet with mommy issues is nothing compared to Hannibal Lecter. He'll make Annie cry again and eat his face off while he casually drinks his chianti. :lecture

ROTJ ruined Vader long before the prequels.

Hannibal Lecter is pretty tough to beat. Not sure if he'd be my #1, but I haven't given it much thought. I don't think ROTJ necessarily ruined Vader. His redemption did seem to happen pretty quickly though.

Hannibal Lecter is pretty tough to beat. Not sure if he'd be my #1, but I haven't given it much thought. I don't think ROTJ necessarily ruined Vader. His redemption did seem to happen pretty quickly though.

I think he was already dealing with his feelings by the end of Empire, imo. He didn't killed Luke, and it wasn't just because he wanted him to take down the Emperor. Clearly Vader didn't need any help to beat the Emperor...he did it with one hand, literally. Also, before their final fight, Luke could sense the good in Vader, but Vader was not ready to give in completely to the good side.

I think he was already dealing with his feelings by the end of Empire, imo. He didn't killed Luke, and it wasn't just because he wanted him to take down the Emperor. Clearly Vader didn't need any help to beat the Emperor...he did it with one hand, literally. Also, before their final fight, Luke could sense the good in Vader, but Vader was not ready to give in completely to the good side.

Unfortunately, it was ROTJ, so we got the "tell, don't show" version of this. Luke says he can sense the good, but we never see Vader do anything out of character, like question the emperor. It's not until Luke is getting run through the bugzapper that he finally steps up and acts. It would have been nice to actually see some conflict, instead of Luke just saying he can sense it.

Back