Sweeney Todd Trailer

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was starting to wonder if it was still going to be a musical during the first half of the trailer. I think they were trying to set up the story and mood before revealing that there will be singing, lol. It's a challenging role vocally, and I an interested in seeing how Johnny Depp handles it.

This is based on an old story, right? I seem to remember a Simpsons Halloween episode that followed a similar plot.

This is based on an old story, right? I seem to remember a Simpsons Halloween episode that followed a similar plot.

If I remember right, the Simpsons' Halloween of Horror ep. was an homage to the Sweeny Todd play. The movie is also based on the play. It's also important to remember all of these medium about Sweeny Todd are based on real events.

This is a film adaptation of the award winning Stephen Sondheim Broadway musical from 1979, which was itself based upon a 1973 (non-musical) stage play by Christopher Bond that retold the famous Victorian tale, and which followed a 1936 film version that was based upon the melodrama from 1847 that followed his "first" appearance in a penny dreadful in 1846.

It is sometimes claimed that the Sweeney Todd story is based upon fact, but no reliable evidence of this has ever been found. According to the tale, Todd was tried at the Old Bailey and hanged at Tyburn in January 1802, in front of a large crowd. However, no record of the trial can be found in the Old Bailey sessions papers or the Newgate Calendar, nor are there any contemporary press reports either of the trial or of the hanging. As early as 1878 a contributor to Notes and Queries noted this absence of authentic non-fictional sources.[7] Peter Haining, while arguing for historical reality, does not offer verifiable specifics.[2]

An episode in the legend of Saint Nicholas may represent a yet earlier version. This episode, which likely developed in the eleventh century, sees three clerks seeking accommodations for the night. In the night, their host murders them and, on the advice of his wife, decides to dispose of the evidence by baking the clerks into meat pies. The saint eventually resurrects the young scholars.

The cannibalistic trait of the story goes back as far as the myth of Pelops, while the moralistic symbolism of eating one's fellow man appears in social satire such as Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal. The myth's imagery of meat pies made from people is almost certainly an allusion to the finale of Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus and the original Roman tale on which it was based. There is thought to have been a Jacobin barber who cut the throats of his customers during the French Revolution, though for politics rather than profit. Likewise, the 15th-century Scottish figure Sawney Bean led a family of thieves who are believed to have feasted on their victims. It may be relevant that 'Sweeney' could be considered a typically Irish name, just as 'Sawney' is a Scottish one; ethnic prejudice could underlie both legends.

Yeah, I am looking forward to this as well. Tim Burton + Johnny Depp + awesome bloody musical = :rock

If I remember right, the Simpsons' Halloween of Horror ep. was an homage to the Sweeny Todd play. The movie is also based on the play. It's also important to remember all of these medium about Sweeny Todd are based on real events.

Just Fyi, ST was a musical, not a play. :lecture

That trailer is classic Hollywood misdirection. Don't get me wrong. This movie is going to be great - as long as they don't try to trim it -pun intended- to get a PG-13. Laugh but some of the producers were pushing for this a few months ago to appeal to Johnny's legion of young Pirates fans. But, back on topic. That trailer does everything it can to cover up the fact that this is a musical. If I remember right, Burton has gone on record as saying that 50% of the movie or more is singing. Yet, all they show us in 2 and 1/2 minutes is 10 seconds of singing? People are going to go see it and get angry because it's not the movie that was advertised to them. Sigh ...

"Shaved" down to a PG-13. That was clever!!

People get their throats slashed and then they are ground up and eaten. If you're going to make a musical about that subject matter, you might as well go all out and do it properly.

Back