The Avengers: The Motion Picture Discussion Thread- Open SPOILERS -enter at own risk!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Avengers: Discussion Thread

I was pulling for Dr. Doom myself, since they have FF back.

I was pulling for Dr. Doom myself, since they have FF back.

Marvel still doesn't have the FF rights, Fox does unless something changed very recently.

Where is The Mike when you need him??

Really, I thought that was one of the few things that had reverted back to them? Mike would know.

From what I've read if anything might come back to Marvel from Fox is Daredevil. I think they have a year or six months to make a new movie if they want to hold on to the rights. I know their has been rumblings that Fox was working on a Fantastic Four reboot but I haven't heard anything in a while. I think Fox still has a couple of years before they have to produce something relating to the FF. At least that is my understanding.

Elektra had Daredevil in it, so I think they have the rights to them for a bit longer since they released that ____fest. I don't see Fox giving up them, F4 or X-Men ever.

Marvel still doesn't have the FF rights, Fox does unless something changed very recently. Where is The Mike when you need him??

Really, I thought that was one of the few things that had reverted back to them? Mike would know.

:lol. My ears were burning.

Fox still has all of it's properties. Someone posted on Wikipedia that the Fantastic Four rights had reverted to Marvel (with no basis, reference or anything) and people have preaching it like scripture ever since all over the internet. It's even been removed since I believe. Fox has the Fantastic Four just like the X-Men in perpetuity. Not to mention with all the hype going around the comics right now, they aren't letting anything loose. Fox's last word was that they were looking for a director and pitched a lot of big names but nothing came of it.

I don't think anything has reverted back except Punisher.

Bingo. Although Disney is still working on trying to get them all back but haven't been successful due to the iron clad contracts Marvel themselves signed.

From what I've read if anything might come back to Marvel from Fox is Daredevil. I think they have a year or six months to make a new movie if they want to hold on to the rights. I know their has been rumblings that Fox was working on a Fantastic Four reboot but I haven't heard anything in a while. I think Fox still has a couple of years before they have to produce something relating to the FF. At least that is my understanding.

This is incorrect. Fox all of their properties in perpetuity which means it's infinite. They don't have a deadline to make something with the property and even if they did like Sony does literally they could out a guy in a Daredevil suit running through a shot in another film and meet it. Technically Sony could make a TV movie and meet it. None of Fox's properties are in danger, people are getting the deadlines from WB's trouble with Superman which has a 2013 deadline for a new film or DC and WB lose the rights. They mixing issues but the WB/DC deal with the families of the Superman creators is seriously ____ed up. Even after the Synder/Cavill film hits, the timeline starts over and they have to keep the character on the big screen or else fall into the same trap.

Mike

do you think Joanie will ever not love Chachi :dunno

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mwWAsNZTnug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know we have gone round and round about this but I am confused. Whenever I have done a search on Fox's Daredevil rights the articles say they have until 2012 to produce something. That they had a seven year deadline and that the clock started ticking with the release of Elektra in 2005. None of the articles I'm finding mention anything about Warner Brothers or Superman, so I'm not sure that's what these people are being confused about. Like this article:

https://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/21123
https://www.comicvine.com/news/no-surprise-fox-plans-daredevil-reboot/140338/

Is it possible some of Fox's agreements involve a deadline and others do not. I find so many people claiming one way or the other but so far no one can back up anything with a source as far as I can. Does anyone here have the actual contracts in front of them. It seems like for everyone saying one thing about this someone else says they know the opposite to be true. I know the Internet is chock full of sloppy journalism. When I worked as a newspaper reporter I couldn't write about any type of legal arrangement unless I could quote directly from the contract or court document. It sounds like what The Mike is saying is that a lot of people are confused and its a lot of people writing articles on a lot of sites.

:lol. My ears were burning.

Fox still has all of it's properties. Someone posted on Wikipedia that the Fantastic Four rights had reverted to Marvel (with no basis, reference or anything) and people have preaching it like scripture ever since all over the internet. It's even been removed since I believe. Fox has the Fantastic Four just like the X-Men in perpetuity. Not to mention with all the hype going around the comics right now, they aren't letting anything loose. Fox's last word was that they were looking for a director and pitched a lot of big names but nothing came of it.

Bingo. Although Disney is still working on trying to get them all back but haven't been successful due to the iron clad contracts Marvel themselves signed.

This is incorrect. Fox all of their properties in perpetuity which means it's infinite. They don't have a deadline to make something with the property and even if they did like Sony does literally they could out a guy in a Daredevil suit running through a shot in another film and meet it. Technically Sony could make a TV movie and meet it. None of Fox's properties are in danger, people are getting the deadlines from WB's trouble with Superman which has a 2013 deadline for a new film or DC and WB lose the rights. They mixing issues but the WB/DC deal with the families of the Superman creators is seriously ____ed up. Even after the Synder/Cavill film hits, the timeline starts over and they have to keep the character on the big screen or else fall into the same trap.

Is it possible some of Fox's agreements involve a deadline and others do not?

No but those sites aren't exactly wrong in their suggestions. In October 1993, Marvel and Fox signed an agreement (the "1993 Agreement") pursuant to which Marvel licensed to Fox all the rights that Fox may require in order to produce, distribute, exploit, advertise, promote, and publicize theatrical motion pictures based on The X-Men, this continued in the same fashion for both The Fantastic Four and Daredevil.

The rights granted to Fox included "the right to use the title (or subtitle or portion of the title) of the Property or any component of the Property as the title of any Picture or related exploitation." The Agreement reserved all television rights to Marvel, subject to a proviso, critical to Fox's pending contract claim, that Marvel would not "produce, distribute or exploit or authorize the production, distribution or exploitation of any live-action motion picture" without Fox's consent.

Unlike Sony, we've been told by Fox Co-Chairman Tom Rothman and other Fox execs in the past, that they own the rights to their Marvel properties for perpetuity. But, we've also been told that if it ever came to the point where they were going to lose any property they own because of failing to have a movie in production, they would simply produce a low budget, straight-to-DVD feature and "four wall it," which basically means, stick it in any theater to fulfill their theatrical release clause.

So they own the rights in perpetuity as long as they are used. Fox could choose to lapse them and allow the rights to revert. They could outright sell the rights back or "Four Wall It". There is no expiration date if they don't want there to be one. The sites are using the "deadline" based on the clause within the agreement that says there is no movie in production the rights must be heading back. So it seems like unlike Sony who has to resign their rights (they did with Spider-Man after 3), there is no need to renegotiate but they would have to want to lose the license. Last time Fox said anything about it they were looking at talent Jason Statham's name was kicked around for a bit so who knows what they are thinking but if they want it, those deadlines really mean nothing because Marvel allowed a ton of loopholes.

In perpetuity? That's a really long time and very disappointing. I wanna see a FF series after the Avengers and then a big Avengers and FF team up against Galactus. It's probably way too much for the movies, but it would be awesome.

In perpetuity? That's a really long time and very disappointing. I wanna see a FF series after the Avengers and then a big Avengers and FF team up against Galactus. It's probably way too much for the movies, but it would be awesome.

Just ignore Mike, he knows not what he speaks.....just a case of untreated malaria. :lol

That movie you just described should be out on December 22nd 2012.

Did I mention the Mayan Calendar thing :lol

What is discouraging about the whole thing with FOX is that maybe if they had some other viable franchises their grip wouldn't be so tight. Besides Avatar they don't have much. If you look at the top 10 box office hits from the last few years very few are from Fox.

Just ignore Mike, he knows not what he speaks.....just a case of untreated malaria. :lol

That movie you just described should be out on December 22nd 2012.

Did I mention the Mayan Calendar thing :lol

No. Will Galactus be using the Mayan Calendar as a weapon, or will the Avengers use it to stop him? Wait, no no, don't tell me. I hate spoilers.

It's going to be hard to have a trilogy of Avengers movie, and in the middle of that, each heroes will have their own seperate movie that will not have any continuity with the Avengers movie.

Back