The Avengers: The Motion Picture Discussion Thread- Open SPOILERS -enter at own risk!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Avengers: The Motion Picture Discussion Thread

That's my second favorite gif from that episode. FIrst place goes to -

tumblr_llvu7ejY8F1qkpyi3o1_250.gif
Thank you :wave

IGN Editorial:

After years of complaints from comic book fans that Hollywood is taking over San Diego Comic-Con with their glitz, glamor and A-List talent, major films like The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers have been revealed to have no panel presence at this year's event. And comic fans complained about that too.

The fickle nature of fanboys aside, what makes this year different from previous years to have literally two of the biggest films of the decade become relative no-shows? One could "blame" it on SDCC successes but box office failures like Scott Pilgrim vs. The World or Sucker Punch, but the truth is much, much simpler than that. In fact, there's no need for blame. It's probably one of the smartest business decisions the studios could have made. Why would Marvel and Warner Brothers spend the kind of dough it costs to fly, house, entertain and satisfy talent? To set up elaborate booths and promotions? To use Hall H? Why would they blow all of that money to preach to the choir?

The fans that are fighting their way into Hall H and stabbing one another over seats to witness PR-centric, tame Q&A sessions and some footage aren't the people that need millions of dollars in advertising to convince them to check out The Avengers flick. This is the same principle as advertising the superhero movies on the comic books themselves – what comic book reader is going to be unaware of, let alone uninterested in, a summer blockbuster based on a character they've been reading since birth? Perhaps when Marvel blew their wad last year, assembling the entire cast of The Avengers on stage, they had an epiphany. How much money did they just spend on a Robert Downey Jr. appearance to essentially give the fanboys a grin and a wave?

In the case of The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises, there is zero need for the studios to waste their money on the Comic-Con attendees. Warner Brothers particularly had a great solution back in 2007 that was both cheaper and more effective – the integration of their viral marketing campaign.

Not only does viral marketing involve the entire world instead of the select few that make it to San Diego, but it's vastly more memorable. Who doesn't remember the massive Joker campaign in the year before The Dark Knight was released? It was exciting, it was different, and it made a lasting impression across the interwebs. If Warner Brothers had simply settled for Christian Bale giving a wink and a wave at a convention, do you think the lead up would've been even a quarter as memorable? Absolutely not. SDCC is huge, no doubt, but the Internet will always be bigger.

Adding to the non-necessity of these movies at SDCC is the fact that both of these films are sequels. The Dark Knight Rises is a direct sequel, while Avengers is something new (something worse?). Avengers is a culmination of multiple franchises, a monstrous team-up, and the first time something like it has been tried on screen. Sure, team-ups are a dime a dozen in the comics, but films cost a lot of money – let alone one starring a block of Hollywood's Walk of Fame. Cutting out an SDCC appearance likely wasn't out of financial necessity (though it helps), but instead, logic. By combining multiple franchises with (mostly) the same actors in their roles, Marvel has got a recognition that's unprecedented in this kind of film.

While we haven't seen what sort of marketing approach The Avengers will ultimately take, it's arguable that the push actually started with the first Iron Man's release in 2008. By that logic, each movie between Iron Man and next month's Captain America has been nothing more than a long-form advertisement for The Avengers.

That's not to say they haven't been enjoyable – I loved Iron Man and Thor and I'm excited for Cap. There are some truly endearing television commercials, after all. With the release of Thor at the beginning of the summer, Marvel took the next step in their colossal marketing campaign by airing TV spots that put Thor in context with the other cinematic heroes of the Marvel Universe. That not only helped to give Thor an identity, but vice versa. The next stage of that campaign will indeed launch in July, but not at SDCC. At least not directly. Why would Marvel need to take The Avengers to one city in California when they have their next big-budget commercial launching nationwide that same weekend? That's right -- Captain America comes out on July 22.

Now that's a tough dude: :lol

And if all that wasn't badass enough -- Jeremy tells us, he went right back to work after the fall ... no hospital, no stitches ... just a bandage.

UPDATE: A Marvel spokesperson tells TMZ, "[Jeremy] was fine. He slid briefly along the side of the building. He got right back up and did several more takes."

Marvel-Studios-Avengers-Quinjet.jpg

Screenrant reports that Marvel CCO Joe Queseda tweeted from the set of The Avengers: “One word… QUINJET!” Now we’d heard rumors that the vehicle (seen above in its comic form) would be in the movie but here’s further confirmation.

THE AVENGERS MAY USE INTERACTIVE COMIC CON DISPLAYS & EVENTS TO REPLACE HALL H PRESENSATION
BY ERIC WHITMAN
PUBLISHED: JULY 5, 2011 - 5:53PM

After the recent revelation that Marvel Studios would not partake in a Hall H presentation (where most major movie footage is debuted) at this year's San Diego Comic Con, fans began to wonder what their plans could be; now, we may have the answer.

Last year, Marvel Studios upped the ante on Comic Con Hall H presentations by formally announcing The Avengers movie with a teaser trailer and main cast members taking the stage to a standing ovation. This year's Comic Con is less than a month away, and it was recently revealed that Marvel Studios has opted out of presenting at the 6,000 plus capacity hall. According to a report by FirstShowing, the studio may be planning a marketing campaign that would not only overshadow the much talked about display from 2010, but make it much more interactive. Here are a few highlights, for the full report visit FirstShowing via the link below:

"The main focus will be S.H.I.E.L.D., similar to the badges at WonderCon, and they will have actual set pieces from the movie placed on the showfloor as part of a faux-security and recruiting station for S.H.I.E.L.D... the massive Helicarrier bridge is a very important set piece in the actual movie, and might be the centerpiece for Marvel's booth."

"Apparently there will be footage showing on screens around the showfloor. But we're not exactly sure what footage yet."

"Some of the cast, including Chris Evans (Cap), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) and Mark Ruffalo (Hulk), might show up for signings at the booth."

Looks like there might be some real nice things to replace the actual presentation.

Hell yeah!! If they do I will be in line to get some autos.

Sounds worse to me. You won't be able to get near the Marvel booth. Haven't they learned from Hasbro that creating giant lines on the floor is absolutely stupid? :slap

Hall H please.

lovely. No doubt the Marvel booth will be in the heart of the event floor. A four sided massive cluster ____ line/gawker pile that is impossible to move through. _______s Assemble!

Should be only on the day of the autos but it can't be worse than the other studio booths. :lol

I cannot wait for after the release of Captain America. To see the scene after the credits and for the eventual release of an Assembled Avenger Team after the film is out!!!

famous last words, Josh, just before you are consumed by the writhing mass of unwashed geeks, Paralax style. :lol

the crowd around Corey Feldman signing last year was oppressive enough, I can't image what they'll do to get a blurry cell phone pic of RDJ or ScarJo. :panic:

That could happen. :lol

I've been lucky with the auto lines I've tried to get in being run right. So I'm hoping they will do that with this one.

amanda_rig_1.jpg

After yesterday's confirmation of the first Avengers movie trailer set to hit theaters this weekend with the release of Captain America: The First Avenger, another piece of news has been revealed. Amanda Righetti, whose breakout role was as an investigator on the hits television series The Mentalist, will join the ranks of Sam Jackson, Jeremy Renner, Scarlett Johansson and Cobie Smulders as a Agent of the clandestine organization known as S.H.I.E.L.D. Though neither Paramount Pictures nor Marvel Studios has released the name of the comic character she will embody on film, the current buzz has her pegged as either Carol Danvers (also known to comic fans as the superpowered heroine Ms. Marvel) or Sharon Carter (niece of Peggy Carter; Steve Rogers/Captain America's WWII love interest)

Back