The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, by the way, for the slight distraction while i uselessly follow my Wife and children from clothing store to clothing store to clothing store and on and on....

I just needed socks, so I figured I should come.

What was i thinking!?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aquaman is getting a 3D release and fake 4K lol

Okay, I'll bite.

You referred to this and the new Captain America 4k as "fake." Why so? I trust you know what you're talking about as I've followed this thread for some time, just curious why you are saying this about these 4k transfers.

I'm always up to learn some more tech stuff about tvs.

Okay, I'll bite.

You referred to this and the new Captain America 4k as "fake." Why so? I trust you know what you're talking about as I've followed this thread for some time, just curious why you are saying this about these 4k transfers.

I'm always up to learn some more tech stuff about tvs.

Words I never want to hear my wife say!

Anyways.

Well let me start from the beginning then.

See timmy first came the dinosaurs...then Sadffleck happened...then TLJ happened...then Wor-Gar fell in love with Grace...then BP was fake nominated for an Oscar...the end lol

Oh 2K vs 4K my bad.

Big budget movies are shot in 4K, 6K (35mm), 8K or 12K (Imax 70mm).

Most, not all, but most are mastered at the studio in a cost saving environment known as a 2K DI then upscaled to 4K for UHD sale to the consumer in other words fake 4K a lie to the consumer.

Some movies are mastered at the actual 4K space then sold as 4K which is real 4K.

That is not 100% true either because 4K cameras record at 4096×2160 then the image STILL has to be down converted for UHD which is 3840×2160! Not a big deal it’s still real 4K at the end of the day.

Want to know a little dirty secret?

Come closer i’ll whisper it to you.

THERE ARE 2K DI MOVIES UPCONVERTED TO 4K THAT LOOK BETTER THAN TRUE NATIVE 4K DI MOVIES!

jye drops mic.

Just buy what you like.

If someone is looking forward to Cap 1 in 4K EVEN THOUGH IT’S FAKE 4K buy it anyways because the resolution doesn’t tell the whole story because HDR and WCG will also be present to definately make it look better than the previous 1080p version!

Just wait until black friday 2019 to buy it is my recommendation lol

That will be a nickel timmy.

I got the tv set up in the media room. Picture is outstanding. I watched Raider of the lost ark and Toht's melting face is what I felt like with how awesome the picture is. I am watching the Harmy empire strikes back on it now and it looks great. Sorry you won't get them JYE but trust Khev and myself that they are awesome. I have even less reason to go the theater now unless it's a movie I have really been looking forward too like Avenger's Endgame. Although I love this tv it is nothing like the picture JYE posted of Wor-Gars set.

Re: The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Oh man I sooooo know that feeling holy crap i’m dying lulz
And after 6 straight hours of doing my best impression of a pack-mule and entertaining my 3 year old so the other 2 could shop, my wife tells me, "I guess I'll have to come back by myself, cause I can't even get a chance to shop." I meant to say WTF in my head, but somehow it made it past my lips for all to hear. My 10 year old just laughed, and my wife looked at me incredulously and told me, "it's just too difficult to shop with the little one."

I chose my battles wisely and just agreed, while I wanted to say something along the lines that she barely had any interaction with our 3 year old, so what was so difficult? I wanted to go home after all, didn't want to encourage anymore shopping.

The whole time I was thinking, I could be home playing God of War or watching a movie. I never learn.

At least I got my socks! Btw, the only thing on the list we actually walked out with!

Last edited:
And after 6 straight hours of doing my best impression of a pack-mule and entertaining my 3 year old so the other 2 could shop, my wife tells me, "I guess I'll have to come back by myself, cause I can't even get a chance to shop." I meant to say WTF in my head, but somehow it made it past my lips for all to hear. My 10 year old just laughed, and my wife looked at me incredulously and told me, "it's just too difficult to shop with the little one."

I chose my battles wisely and just agreed, while I wanted to say something along the lines that she barely had any interaction with our 3 year old, so what was so difficult? I wanted to go home after all, didn't want to encourage anymore shopping.

The whole time I was thinking, I could be home playing God of War or watching a movie. I never learn.

At least I got my socks! Btw, the only thing on the list we actually walked out with!

One word: socks lol

I thought she was down there doing something else.

She’s watching Black Snake Moan

I find this very interesting, I never knew this.

They skipped right over 35mm, huh?

Can't wait for 12K on my tile panel set built to a 140 inch screen

Nope not skipped 35mm is equivalent to 6K is all I was saying.

:thwak

No, I mean the industry going from 4K to 8K and not trying to sell 6K for a couple years before moving to 8K.

Amazing that I won't see Star Wars as I did in 1977 in true 70mm experience until we get to 12K.
By then, if the prognosticators are right, physical media is likely to be gone, and I can't imagine what kind of internet delivery that could support 12K! At least none that will be available to the masses. I imagine technological growth would be severely impeded by archaic infrastructure.

No, I mean the industry going from 4K to 8K and not trying to sell 6K for a couple years before moving to 8K.

Amazing that I won't see Star Wars as I did in 1977 in true 70mm experience until we get to 12K.

Ohhhh ok I take back my :thwak

Well SW 77 was still shot 35 then later scanned up to 70 for those presentations.

Someone out there owns that original 35 Panavision camera they paid 605,000 at auction plus the $200,000 for an original tie model.

By then, if the prognosticators are right, physical media is likely to be gone, and I can't imagine what kind of internet delivery that could support 12K! At least none that will be available to the masses. I imagine technological growth would be severely impeded by archaic infrastructure.

5G don’t less us down baby lol

Wow, that's disappointing. I fell for the marketing. Unless I'm mixing up Close Encounters around the same time. They would give Spielberg those cameras and he's likely more apt to want them for his grand and deserved shots. Maybe it was CE3K.

Correct CE3K was 70mm BUT only for the visual effects parts which were still in alot of scenes.

They lied back then and marketed it as all 70mm lol

Hateful 8 was true 70mm what a waste of film :lol

Yeah the OT was shot 35mm Scope and then blown up for select 70mm auditoriums. I don't think anyone was ever the wiser though.

RO was shot 6K digital (but with the same vintage Ultra Panavision 70 lenses that had just been used a year prior on Hateful Eight) and watching it converted to 70mm film stock and projected onto a massive 15/70 IMAX screen made for one of the most amazing looking pictures I've ever seen.

Back