The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I know is that (thanks to jye's calibration information) Infinity War looks pretty ****ing spectacular on my 65", regardless of whether it's true 4K or not.

All I know is that (thanks to jye's calibration information) Infinity War looks pretty ****ing spectacular on my 65", regardless of whether it's true 4K or not.

IW looks amazing on my 65” as well. The details are popping all over the place!

Jye, what is this calibration info he speaks of?

So these Marvel releases are not true 4K so is it truly an upgrade?

Asking the experts.

What’s unfortunate is that movies like Civil War were shot with the Alexa 65 camera which I believe is 65mm (duh lol) 6K resolution and yet we still end up with 2K to 4K upscale! :slap

To make matters even more insulting IW and EG were shot with the new Alexa IMAX camera which I believe is 8K-10K YET we still end up with a 2K to 4K upscale (fake 4K) AND the Imax ratios cropped for home release! :slap :slap

Like Khev said it’s all about the HDR lol

:hi5:

Remember fine tune it to your environment!

IW looks amazing on my 65” as well. The details are popping all over the place!

Jye, what is this calibration info he speaks of?

Just some settings I shared with Neal because we own the same tv.

Re: The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

What’s unfortunate is that movies like Civil War were shot with the Alexa 65 camera which I believe is 65mm (duh lol) 6K resolution and yet we still end up with 2K to 4K upscale! :slap

To make matters even more insulting IW and EG were shot with the new Alexa IMAX camera which I believe is 8K-10K YET we still end up with a 2K to 4K upscale (fake 4K) AND the Imax ratios cropped for home release! :slap :slap

Like Khev said it’s all about the HDR lol

:hi5:

Remember fine tune it to your environment!

Just some settings I shared with Neal because we own the same tv.
Wow, that's just... lazy.

Guess Disney just knows people will buy whatever they put out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wow, that's just... lazy.

Guess Disney just knows people will buy whatever they put out.

I honestly don’t understand the Hollywood workflow server farm enough to point fingers I know keeping it at 2K has something to do with VFX costs and time frame but I still don’t comprehend why some movies get completed at the native 4K master while others from same size studios don’t.

It all stinks of cost saving lol

I honestly don’t understand the Hollywood workflow server farm enough to point fingers I know keeping it at 2K has something to do with VFX costs and time frame but I still don’t comprehend why some movies get completed at the native 4K master while others from same size studios don’t.

It all stinks of cost saving lol
[emoji38]

Cost savings on a movie that will (far) exceed $2,000,000,000 at the box office.

I don't think it's really related to the studio, it seems like the director has the most control over what resolution the master is going to be done in, so the ones that really care about the picture quality are most likely to maintain the high resolution masters (like Christopher Nolan)
The average audience isn't going to care much, and as for VFX, it would be a significant cost increase to render at 4K, but usually they wouldn't since having a bit of blur can make it look a bit more realistic.

So with all that said and done... Significant, appreciable increase in quality to purchase or wait for the faux 8k ?

At the end of the day I always tell people never wait because nobody promised you tomorrow so enjoy what you like now and that’s coming from somebody who waits for Black Friday sales I don’t even take my own advise lol

The whole thing is a joke anyways they’re pointing to all this data that blu-ray is dead yet at the same time they’re showing 8K TV commercials it’s like which one is it make up your minds because I just laugh at the whole prospect of 8K streaming let’s face it greed kept copper infrastructure in this country for a very long time when we could’ve had this stuff decades ago. They’ve been sitting on 4K/HDR for decades while charging big money for outdated transmission pipelines.

Resolution pixel upgrades are very easy for them the magic really is with HDR and even then we’re only at 10bit not even 12bit (1080p used 8bit remember “Deep Color” on every tv that couldn’t be used lol).

So yeah buy the fake 4K movie you want screw it lol

I will never have what I really want which is 4K (or 8K) HDR and 3D combined.

I want them combined because I literally can’t decide which one I prefer I have just as much fun watching a 1080p 3D movie at home as I do gorgeous HDR content. :gah:

Last edited:
At the end of the day I always tell people never wait because nobody promised you tomorrow so enjoy what you like now and that’s coming from somebody who waits for Black Friday sales I don’t even take my own advise lol

The whole thing is a joke anyways they’re pointing to all this data that blu-ray is dead yet at the same time they’re showing 8K TV commercials it’s like which one is it make up your minds because I just laugh at the whole prospect of 8K streaming let’s face it greed kept copper infrastructure in this country for a very long time when we could’ve had this stuff decades ago. They’ve been sitting on 4K/HDR for decades while charging big money for outdated transmission pipelines.

Resolution pixel upgrades are very easy for them the magic really is with HDR and even then we’re only at 10bit not even 12bit (1080p used 8bit remember “Deep Color” on every tv that couldn’t be used lol).

So yeah buy the fake 4K movie you want screw it lol

I will never have what I really want which is 4K (or 8K) HDR and 3D combined.

I want them combined because I literally can’t decide which one I prefer I have just as much fun watching a 1080p 3D movie at home as I do gorgeous HDR content. :gah:
Same here, I resent having to choose, I want 3D 4K HDR, and I want it now!

I would say, get 4K stuff, ignore 8K because the vast majority of movies aren't available in 4K much less anything higher, even then with the old movies that were edited on film they usually are too blurry to gain any visual improvement beyond 4K.

91hYGntO4FL._SL1500_.jpg

Back