The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darth please tell me you’re not a high level decision maker on the advancement of electronic infrastructure technologies because you sure love to use the word can’t lol

lol if you think they’re stuck at 2K mastering believe me with the flick of a switch they can master movies with double digit K’s if they so desire it just comes down to dollars and cents and while demand always drives supply we all know they will drag their feet to squeeze out as much profit as possible from existing technologies.

It’s not that the technology isn’t there yet because it absolutely is.

I've only used the word can't once
The fact of the matter is that many existing movies can't or aren't likely to be upgraded, and it'll take many years for the film industry to update, so an 8K TV is not going to be worthwhile for a long time. Especially since most consumers don't care (for example UHD discs aren't that popular)
Most likely, streaming services will update first, like Netflix, and then eventually video games will be able to support 8K (next-gen consoles supposedly can do that but I doubt it). But films will be a while after that. And again, existing films will have almost no support for it

I don't know that anyone is presuming to state what the studios "likely" will do. God knows I can't even get my favorite movies released on disc with their damn IMAX ratios intact *today* but rather my point was that certain actions *can* be done, particularly to "low" res flicks like AOTC and ROTS...if they wanted to. Willingness to do so is a whole other matter.

Yeah no kidding, lol. As of now I'm seeing that "See 26% more in IMAX!" on the SMFFH poster and I'm thinking "Why? Just so that I can be forever pissed off watching the cropped version at home?"

I don't know that anyone is presuming to state what the studios "likely" will do. God knows I can't even get my favorite movies released on disc with their damn IMAX ratios intact *today* but rather my point was that certain actions *can* be done, particularly to "low" res flicks like AOTC and ROTS...if they wanted to. Willingness to do so is a whole other matter.

That's like the people that tell their kids they can do anything if they try hard enough.

Eventually if you have to buy a new TV, you'll probably have no choice but to buy an 8K television, Like the way it is now with 4K. There probably wasn't a big clamoring by the consumer for 4K, but as I'm sure you've noticed when walking through your local Best Buy, there really isn't much of any other choice. And when the 8K discs and players hit the shelves, you can bet there will be discs to take advantage of that super high resolution. Sure, there will mostly be upscaled discs, but there will almost certainly be movies remastered to show off the 8K abilities. And eventually, your eyes Erik adjust to notice the difference between 4K and 8K, even if it's not that pronounced.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Eventually if you have to buy a new TV, you'll probably have no choice but to buy an 8K television, Like the way it is now with 4K. There probably wasn't a big clamoring by the consumer for 4K, but as I'm sure you've noticed when walking through your local Best Buy, there really isn't much of any other choice. And when the 8K discs and players hit the shelves, you can bet there will be discs to take advantage of that super high resolution. Sure, there will mostly be upscaled discs, but there will almost certainly be movies remastered to show off the 8K abilities. And eventually, your eyes Erik adjust to notice the difference between 4K and 8K, even if it's not that pronounced.

TV sales have been dropping though, many people don't care to upgrade to 4K. Disc sales are dropping, and Samsung and Oppo are going to stop making Blu-Ray players (including 4K players). I also get the impression that people feel like the new formats are coming too fast, that they don't want to go through the trouble of upgrading to 4K much less 8K so fewer people overall want it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 8K TV sales take a lot longer to be standard. 8K really only exists because the TV manufacturers want to push people to buy new TV's because otherwise people keep them for a long time.

Re: The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

TV sales have been dropping though, many people don't care to upgrade to 4K. Disc sales are dropping, and Samsung and Oppo are going to stop making Blu-Ray players (including 4K players). I also get the impression that people feel like the new formats are coming too fast, that they don't want to go through the trouble of upgrading to 4K much less 8K so fewer people overall want it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 8K TV sales take a lot longer to be standard. 8K really only exists because the TV manufacturers want to push people to buy new TV's because otherwise people keep them for a long time.
They're definitely coming too fast, the real risk is damaging the trust with the consumer. Nobody wants to regret a big ticket purchase, but that's exactly what will happen when the average person feels burned for buying a 4K TV, only to see 8K come out a year later.

As for 8K discs, nobody said it will be a popular or successful format, but there will be movies that will be out to optimize the 8K experience.

While I enjoy 4K, I almost always pick 3D as my primary choice for a movie

I wish 3D as more popular, I had upgraded my TV last year and was looking to get one of the 2016 LG OLED TV's that still had 3D but they're hard to get now
I feel like one of the companies will release one at some point though.

3D movies aren't side-by-side, as long as your screen supports it it can display full resolution, for example Blu-Ray 3D is two 1080P images rather than trying to fit it into one 1080P image.

Yeah no kidding, lol. As of now I'm seeing that "See 26% more in IMAX!" on the SMFFH poster and I'm thinking "Why? Just so that I can be forever pissed off watching the cropped version at home?"

Sad but true.

Forum member Gates be like “did someone say cropped, hold my beer!” :lol

Considering what's already been done to countless films for the sake of 4K (Basket Case 4K restoration are you kidding me) I can't get behind your doom and gloom sentiments for 8K and beyond. Agree to disagree.

I don’t feel too bad not having Star Wars properly restored its not like we’re getting Basket Case first or something stupid like tha.....

giphy.gif

:exactly: :lecture :exactly:

There's always always a new format and there's always a speech Charles, nobody cares, lol.

Dude I just can’t lol

[emoji38]

Suddenly I don't want to edit that post!

Lulz

:lol :lol to all of jye's responses especially the realization that the Basket Case *trilogy* has a full 4K restoration (and actually was just shown as a marathon at Alamo what the actual eff) but no theatrical STAR WARS, lol.

Back