The Book Of Boba Fett (December 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't put my finger on it either. There is something lacking in the MCU. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy them but they are ultimately just fluff.

Not a single MCU film I would put in my top 50 films of all time. Maybe The Avengers or The Winter Soldier could sneak in there, but I would have to go through my ranking system to figure that out.

I would put The Dark Knight in my top 50. So I am not a comic snob :lol

Like I said I dont think any MCU film comes close to SW or ESB. Most of them are ROTJ in quality. There are some really good ones but they lack that certain something.

I am sure some of it has to do with my age but they just don't hold up as well as the other box office classics do.

I can't argue with this. I guess my thing is that I love SW. I agree that most of Marvel is better made than the PT. But I can more easily watch the PT more often than a Marvel film. I think that has to go to my love of the SW universe.

I would put RO in there with the other SW titles.

Solo and the ST feel more like average Marvel movies in terms of feel.. So, I have to assume it's the GL factor of his imagination just clicks with mine. Cause the PT are some bad movies, but they just hit that soft spot I have for SW.

Again, there is just an emptiness to the MCU.. I think it's just the fact that they all feel so similar in tone. A tone that I think can be found in the ST which is why I will never find them as rewatchable as the other SW movies.

But the PT are an Anomaly. They are bad movies that I can rewatch. Most of the time a film I can watch over and over is what I consider an all-time classic. JAWS, ROTLA, JP, SW, ESB, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, etc... I don't see any of the Marvel films joining those ranks.

I am sure there is truth to this :lol

What Marvel did will never be done again. From IM to Endgame, they were pretty damn consistent. Only a bad movie or two in the bunch. Solid entertainment for sure.

Will we see people dissecting any of the MCU films years from now the way SW is still being dissected today?

Hell, I can't remember the last time I saw an Endgame video appear on my YouTube suggestions.

Do the films have the staying power with the fans as the OT and hell, even the PT have had?? Hell even khev has cooled his jets on them and those movies were made for him and all the other Cap fetish lovers out there.

Time will tell. I don't know that they can in this world of "The next shiny new thing"

I cant believe I am defending the PT over the MCU :lol
For the record I really like/love

IM
TIH
Avengers
The Winter Soldier
Civil War
Infinity War

None of them are OT to me. Not even close.
1645497358579.gif

@JAWS the OT is a fairy tale whereas the MCU is something else, perhaps films more of their time, being grounded in a relatively mundane and more self-aware, quippy world than Star Wars. Note that the same post-modern meta-sensibilities crept into the ST ... you know my position on those films but outside of that, they were just a little too "nudge-nudge wink-wink we're STAR WARS" to have that feel of innocence the OT had at its core.
I agree. Probably the only joke in the ST that really landed for me was "Thats not how the Force works" line.

And Babu Frik :lol

I've said this before.

Mark Hamill deserved an Oscar for that film. He is acting on a soundstage against a puppet. And he pulls in off 100%
And as a total aside, what else was right was that Dagobah dripped with damp. Sticky. Luke was sweaty and dirty training.

You know who's salon fresh? Everybody on scorching dusty Tatooine who supposedly has been running from killer droids in the finale. I give Mando a pass coz how can u tell, but the mods look like they took an escalator to where they made their big stand. You know what has more evidence of battle damage? My 3.75" Mando fig.

I agree. Probably the only joke in the ST that really landed for me was "Thats not how the Force works" line.

And Babu Frik :lol
Frik did not amuse me. 😐

I'll admit that the line about the Force got a laugh from me.

RE: a sense of 'innocence' aka lack of post-modern irony -- this is also one reason why Raimi's Spider-Man made my list of great genre films.

The Winter Soldier is shockingly good when you re-watch it after a long time away. Out of the Nolan films, at this point the only one I'd bother returning to is Batman Begins.
Yes whenever I revisit it I'm always pleasantly reminded of just how solid it is from beginning to end. Even the score is unusually good for a Marvel film.

It was dumb. But salvageable. They just needed to get Grogu back with Mando. But they could have a flashback scene later where Grogu just used the Force to pick both.

Like, I think when Mando unloaded his weapons I saw a small blaster that I'd never seen him use; unless that was the blaster the Frog Lady used.

So Grogu could easily be carrying a light saber. Like it's said in Rebels, Kanan tells Ezra having a light saber doesn't make you a Jedi.

Yes whenever I revisit it I'm always pleasantly reminded of just how solid it is from beginning to end. Even the score is unusually good for a Marvel film.
My fav MCU film followed by CW. Even the credit end graphics are outstanding. And to me it's interesting that the Russos I believe had mostly done comedy, but sold the MCU on the story the wanted to tell, and TWS broke new ground as far as Marvel films.

Although I think a key point about the Russos is that they are huge comic fans. I tend to trust professionals more who are fans themselves, vs. just taking a job. Which is where I think Abrams fails, among others.

I've said this before.

Mark Hamill deserved an Oscar for that film. He is acting on a soundstage against a puppet. And he pulls in off 100%
Hamill definitely deserves credit, but still... there's nothing he could've done to keep those scenes from being a disaster if it hadn't been for the masterful work of Stuart Freeborn and Frank Oz. Freeborn made the puppet with enough craftsmanship and exquisite detail to actually be convincing, and then Frank Oz brought it to life in a way that still blows my mind every time I watch it.

Yoda in ESB might just be the most often quoted character in all of Star Wars. That's not just because of the words on the page, but mostly because of how Frank Oz delivered them and articulated the gestures to sell the delivery all the more. Those scenes are a master class on that form of art.

But while those technical achievements are overwhelming, they do get credited quite a lot. What I wish would get more credit, though, is the actual substance of those scenes. With all of the obsessive scrutinizing, it's hard to say that anything in the OT has been overlooked, but I honestly think the Dagobah training gets overlooked.

It's more than just Force training, flips, handstands, and funny moments; it's *everything* thematically that ESB and ROTJ represent. Everything is right there in those Dagobah scenes by way of exposition and symbolism; manifesting and foreshadowing. But I keep seeing more and more examples of all of that being misunderstood or forgotten. Damn shame, IMO.

I tend to trust professionals more who are fans themselves, vs. just taking a job. Which is where I think Abrams fails, among others.
I dunno ... plenty of 'fans' have messed up properties; I think Abrams was labelled a 'fan' complete with an action figure collection...

I dunno ... plenty of 'fans' have messed up properties; I think Abrams was labelled a 'fan' complete with an action figure collection...
I know a fairly recent video talked about how the sequel trilogy was at times “anti” Star Wars because, even as a fan, Abrams was only a fan of some parts of the story and lore, but not a lot from the prequels or other material.

And to his very basic credit, he wasn’t alone. Lucas sold it off because he was tired of people hating his work and alterations. Abrams was initially lauded for getting it “back to basics” and back on track by ultimately making a fan-pleasing movie that freely borrowed plot, themes, and characters from “the good” movies.

In hindsight, it probably was a mistake to let someone who dislikes a large chunk of Star Wars steer the direction of the future of Star Wars.

Hamill definitely deserves credit, but still... there's nothing he could've done to keep those scenes from being a disaster if it hadn't been for the masterful work of Stuart Freeborn and Frank Oz. Freeborn made the puppet with enough craftsmanship and exquisite detail to actually be convincing, and then Frank Oz brought it to life in a way that still blows my mind every time I watch it.

Yoda in ESB might just be the most often quoted character in all of Star Wars. That's not just because of the words on the page, but mostly because of how Frank Oz delivered them and articulated the gestures to sell the delivery all the more. Those scenes are a master class on that form of art.

But while those technical achievements are overwhelming, they do get credited quite a lot. What I wish would get more credit, though, is the actual substance of those scenes. With all of the obsessive scrutinizing, it's hard to say that anything in the OT has been overlooked, but I honestly think the Dagobah training gets overlooked.

It's more than just Force training, flips, handstands, and funny moments; it's *everything* thematically that ESB and ROTJ represent. Everything is right there in those Dagobah scenes by way of exposition and symbolism; manifesting and foreshadowing. But I keep seeing more and more examples of all of that being misunderstood or forgotten. Damn shame, IMO.
Forget that Dagobah training nonsense lets talk about that epic QuiGon Anakin father connection epiphany!

C891CD16-E094-4313-8971-906CF26BEEFB.jpeg

Back