1/6 The Dark Knight: Batmobile - Tumbler (relaunch)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys The Dark Knight: Batmobile - Tumbler (relaunch)

Do not envy you man. My tumbler has only seen the light of day twice but I GOT IT!!
My only thing is I'm not sure if I'd rather have the Tumbler or the Bat-Pod. Both are cool but the Tumbler is such a beast I'm not sure where I'd ever put it. I'm sure I'd find a spot though eventually. I'm hoping to just search the boards and find one or the other and not pay too much.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I waited to long too pull the trigger on buying one. I've debated getting the camouflage one, but would really prefer the black one.
That display is awesome, btw! Really like the metal floor on the inside of the case.
I thought of getting the Camo Tumbler but I dunno. It's cool but it feels like a piece that I'd only want to accompany the original if I had a ton of space and money to drop on both. Not a big enough Bane fan that I want a Tumbler just for him and while the trial run of the Tumbler by Bruce was the Camo one I'd much prefer a black one.

If you find a Tumbler for $500 or less, snap it up, as I wouldn't imagine they'd go for anything lower than $600 today. Are they "worth" that much? That's up to you. In terms of materials, no. In terms of development costs to Hot Toys? These things cost a fortune to tool up for, lots of molds for lots of parts. Does it feel high-end? No, it kind of feels like a very expensive toy. If you're ever been near high end or custom radio control stuff, this is nowhere near that level. The wheels are simple plastic, the tires aren't real (just a skin over some hard interior), etc. But overall, still a really great show piece - if you have the right space for it. If you can't make the space, don't bother. This thing needs ample space to be able to appreciate it from multiple viewpoints.

Last edited:

If you find a Tumbler for $500 or less, snap it up, as I wouldn't imagine they'd go for anything lower than $600 today. Are they "wroth" that much? That's up to you. In terms of materials, no. In terms of development costs to Hot Toys? These things cost a fortune to tool up for, lots of molds for lots of parts. Does it feel high-end? No, it kind of feels like a very expensive toy. If you're ever been near high end or custom radio control stuff, this is nowhere near that level. The wheels are simple plastic, the tires aren't real (just a skin over some hard interior), etc. But overall, still a really great show piece - if you have the right space for it. If you can't make the space, don't bother. This thing needs ample space to be able to appreciate it from multiple viewpoints.
Well the thing is at the moment I have the benefit in some ways because I'm still on the search for a place of my own. So I don't exactly have things set up the way I want yet and actually a lot of my pieces are just waiting in boxes. Trying to find a house hopefully soon after saving a bit more and getting one that's in my range. The good news though is at the moment it would likely just be me so if I can find a place with a spare bedroom or two I could basically do whatever I want and make it kind of a mancave (or Batcave :lol). But yeah they seem like a lot of money but it would be a damn nice display piece. I'd be satisfied with the Bat-Pod though too honestly.

Don't get me wrong... If you don't have the space today, but know that opportunity is coming, then don't pass up any great price you might find. It's unlikely they'll do another run. We all have stuff in boxes, sometimes waiting months or years before it gets the proper display treatment. Hell, I'm displaying stuff right now that I've had in boxes for over 14 years.

Also, I mentioned this before, if you really want a black one bad enough, but can't find one for a low enough price, don't pass on a camo version. you may not have Mr. Fox's team at your disposal, but re-painting is not *that* difficult. Certainly worth a $200-300 savings, IMO.

Don't get me wrong... If you don't have the space today, but know that opportunity is coming, then don't pass up any great price you might find. It's unlikely they'll do another run. We all have stuff in boxes, sometimes waiting months or years before it gets the proper display treatment. Hell, I'm displaying stuff right now that I've had in boxes for over 14 years.

Also, I mentioned this before, if you really want a black one bad enough, but can't find one for a low enough price, don't pass on a camo version. you may not have Mr. Fox's team at your disposal, but re-painting is not *that* difficult. Certainly worth a $200-300 savings, IMO.
No I understand that. It's mostly like I said before though, I'd hate to get a Camo Tumbler and attempt to paint it and do something wrong or break something while trying to disassemble it. It's just such an expensive piece to take that risk on. Plus I wouldn't even know where to start with paints for it to not make it look like crap or how to take it apart properly. I do agree though if it were done right it could probably look decent and the savings would be nice.

Last edited:

One word: youtube. ;) Lots of nice paint app tutorials.

One word: youtube. ;) Lots of nice paint app tutorials.
I wonder if anyone on here has specifically painted a Camo Tumbler. It'd be nice to have a guide on how to disassemble it and stuff like that.

I had the Bat-Pod. It was underwhelming. I'd buy it for $200 just for kicks but it really isn't worth it imo

I wonder if anyone on here has specifically painted a Camo Tumbler. It'd be nice to have a guide on how to disassemble it and stuff like that.

I want to see one done like it was caught in the middle of the paint job in the movie, going from camo to black. Anyone seen a custom like that before?

There are a number of images here in the thread that show partial disassembly and make a very god starting point. The biggest issue with taking this thing apart is that there are also a lot of part/joints glued together. They can be taken apart, but some of them need to be carefully broken to do so. "carefully" in the sense that you only want to break the internal clips and not the visible part itself.

Here's a direct link to the post with pictures: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5453432#post5453432

If you remove the series of screws around the edge of the bottom plate that gets the seats, console and steering column out easily. Then you have MUCH easier access to the screws on the inside to remove the bolsters (sides of interior) and other parts. Which then reveals more screws of some of the body panels. And so on.

To remove the back wheels you'll have to break the glue on at least one of the center hub caps. Once you take a lot of this apart you'll realize how many infernal pieces go into making this thing. But you'll also realize how "cheap" it is when you compare to pretty much any decent-level model and how many corners were cut and details from the actual movie prop ignored.

I'd love to see someone tackle remaking this in metal - it wouldn't be too difficult to replace some of the parts, but in all honesty, to get something insanely fantastic it would be best not to use this as a base, otherwise it's too easy to copy or reproduce its bad points.

Last edited:

Here's a close-up after wiring some new LEDs with resistors:

My whole Tumbler now safely operates on 12v without danger of over-current frying any LEDs or melting any wire. Hot Toys should really have had resistors in place even for powering this thing with the 4.5v batteries that sit in the battery compartment.

Yes, that front blob of solder is far bigger than necessary - it was a small slip-up. ;)

And now to what I consider the biggest fit/finish issue with this product. In creating their opening canopy design, Hot Toys seems to have missed an angle on the windscreen which would let the bottom sit horizontally. Instead, their design sits on an angle which means you will always have a gap under it - the lowest part of the angle will always tough the armor plate on the hood before the center of the windscreen can touch the nose. I've done the same thing as some others and broke off the armor plates that sit below the windscreen. I'm going to modify them a bit and then glue them back.

I would have preferred Hot Toys to have made the windscreen fixed and hinged the top canopy like the movie Tumbler instead, though I realize it might make it very difficult or impossible to get the figure inside. While making this fix I'm also snapping loose both windshield wipers so they can be positioned vertically, like in the movies and in every photo of the Tumbler. Their mounting position is off as well, but that's easy to ignore.

Last edited:

I wonder if there'll be a Tumbler v2.0 in the future. The '89 Batmobile's interior rocks!

It's insanely expensive to produce tooling for a product like this and typically very hard to offset those costs unless you're selling mass-market - that's why the very high price - and because it's Hot Toys. ;)

A re-release of the same product doesn't need more than a new production run and this past time, new box artwork. Cheap and easy, helps to further amortize the costs of the tooling. But creating something completely new of the same subject? There's going to be a fraction of the market for such a product and the tooling can only be more expensive because it will need more parts to make it better plus we're at least 5 years on from the first time and everything is more expensive. It would probably have to be a $2000 product and sell to only a small small number of super-hardcore fans.

Put mine back up in the For Sale section if anyone wants a Tumbler :panic:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118735

Hmmmmm,

IMG_3781.JPG

FOR DIS???

I remember the very first image I saw of the tumbler, I believe in the summer of 2004 and was thinking "man that thing is ugly!". Over time it really grew on me and blew me away when I saw Begins. It is now probably my favorite overall so really glad they relaunched this because I was not able to get the original release.

Here is the very first official Image of the Tumbler released by WB:

5BAS0030.jpg

I remember the very first image I saw of the tumbler, I believe in the summer of 2004 and was thinking "man that thing is ugly!". Over time it really grew on me and blew me away when I saw Begins. It is now probably my favorite overall so really glad they relaunched this because I was not able to get the original release.

Here is the very first official Image of the Tumbler released by WB:

5BAS0030.jpg

Same here, now its my only fave batmobile design.

Back