The Dark Knight Rises *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the "profound" meaning of Batman? It's okay to give up and quit? :dunno :lol

It is okay if your reward for quitting is this:

:naughty:naughty

annehathaway2_300.jpg

My choices are to simply take your word for this here or to do further research. Since I'm not willing to take your word for it, and I don't have the time to research it at the moment, I will refrain from commenting.

Okay, so I did a search anyway.

This is all I found so far: https://www.fusionenergyleague.org/index.php/blog/article/batman_fusion_redemption

Clearly, the bomb (and the clean energy device) is just a plot device that isn't going to be totally accurate, just like there is no such thing as a microwave emitter that can vaporize an entire city's water supply in a mater of minutes.

However, I still don't see how Batman could have stopped the bomb going off by using the EMP gun.

It is if your reward for quitting is this:

:naughty:naughty

231647-e.t._2.jpg

:dunno:dunno:dunno

Okay, so I did a search anyway.

This is all I found so far: https://www.fusionenergyleague.org/index.php/blog/article/batman_fusion_redemption

Clearly, the bomb (and the clean energy device) is just a plot device that isn't going to be totally accurate, just like there is no such thing as a microwave emitter that can vaporize an entire city's water supply in a mater of minutes.

However, I still don't see how Batman could have stopped the bomb going off by using the EMP gun.

Once again... It takes a LOT of power to create fusion (the bomb was a fusion bomb). You eliminate the power source with an EMP, you eliminate the power to make fusion, you eliminate the bomb reaching critical mass and exploding. But instead, Nolan whored out the gadget aspect and Batman gives Gordon an irrelevant gadget that's only going to delay the device vs. the one gadget he had, that we know he had, that would've stopped it.

What was the "profound" meaning of Batman? It's okay to give up and quit? :dunno :lol

Sort of. :lol

I'll take the lazy way out and repost this:

Here's the bottom line for me:

I'm looking at 2 basic interpretations of Batman.

1) The traditional interpretation that has existed since the early days of the comics (which I don't read). That Batman was created to appeal to adolescents/teenagers. A big part of that demographic feels depressed/like they don't fit in/"tormented", so it makes sense that that kind of character would speak to them. That Batman does not get well. He is forever tormented. And yes, we celebrate the character because he finds a positive outlet for his negative feelings.

A big part of me still enjoys that version of Batman. There's a reason Batman Returns is one of my favorite movies. However, it's a younger/less experienced version of myself that relates to that character. Just like I still love old school Nine Inch Nails despite the fact that all the nihilistic wallowing in depression is no longer something I can relate to. It's still great art, but it doesn't touch me like it used to.

2) Nolan's Batman - which is set up and developed from Begins straight through to Rises. A Batman that truly finds out 'why we fall.' A Batman that truly learns to pick himself back up again.

The whole series telegraphs the way the series ends. Not only the "why do we fall" part, but the whole concept that Batman is a symbol and anyone can be Batman. I believe that from the start the writers knew Bruce Wayne's character arc, and that to view the character differently than Rises portrays is to betray the first two movies. The Bruce Wayne story is a true arc. He does not plateau the way the traditional Batman does at a perpetual state of misery induced heroism, he truly works out his demons over the course of the three films.

One of my favorite scenes in TDKR is when Bruce climes out of the pit. Do you remember why Bruce is able to succeed in getting out of the literal pit? He learned to fear death again. Meaning, he wanted to live. Anger and pain are no longer his motivating force. He is ready to be happy, and live the life that his parents would have wanted him to live. But he also knows that Gotham still needs him a little bit longer. When he returns, he is an enlightened Batman. A Dark Knight who has literally and figuratively risen from a pit. He does not return out of a misplaced sense of vengeance, rather he returns out of his love for the city that his father loved and helped build. He returns because he truly is a hero. Once the immediate threat is dealt with, and someone else is ready to become the symbol of Batman, he can move on. In a practical sense, this is the only logical thing that can happen in a story that is "grounded in reality". The condition that Bruce's body is in is how a real life body would be affected by being Batman. This is another recurring theme throughout the series. Alfred is constantly bringing Bruce's physical limitations to his attention. No man could continue fighting crime in this way into his 50's or 60's. A replacement must be found.

In short, this 2nd version of Batman is one that resonates on a much deeper level to the person I am now at 35 years of age. The idea that we can all rise above even the darkest loss, that we can do the right thing because we want to (not because we're driven to), is a message that I can strongly get behind.

I get that some people find this second interpretation to be heresy, but it works for me. In fact it enhances the entire trilogy IMO.

:dunno:dunno:dunno

I get that some people find this second interpretation to be heresy, but it works for me. In fact it enhances the entire trilogy IMO.

It doesn't even work though. Here we have a man who was forced into being batman by the murder of his parents by some small-time thug. So he becomes Batman to deal with organized crime only? :cuckoo: Then retires for 8 years after Dent's death because the Dent Act allows the police to scoop up organized crime while the small time thieves, rapists, murderers and a plethora of escaped loonies continue to commit crimes, only to come back when Bane arrives, get his *** kicked magically get healed by being socked in the back, only to almost defeat Bane and fake his death and retire, leaving again, the small time thieves, rapists, murderers and a plethora of escaped loonies continue to commit crimes. I'm thinking I understand this now. Nolan made a trilogy about Bizarro Batman. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back