The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon Prime Video - September 2, 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there is some truth to what you’re saying and it was part of the whole controversy when the movie was released and that was because of the HFR causing a hyperrealistic fake looking image where there actually was no depth with the field of view so foreground and background images were both unnaturally super sharp which caused major focus on even the make up lines being visible….

So yeah sure…there certainly is some truth to what you’re saying.

They are still fun fantasy rollercoaster rides with obvious lows but with those lows comes also the highs.

PJ pushed the boundary so far that there were cinematography papers written on his experiment going into super detail about his techniques.

The consensus was that while they respected him pushing the boundary they felt that his 3-D HFR was disastrous to the art of cinema.
they are way too long and wastes too much time.
its just so long. really boring in some parts. but I really really love the fan edit that cuts everything not in the book

Well there is some truth to what you’re saying and it was part of the whole controversy when the movie was released and that was because of the HFR causing a hyperrealistic fake looking image where there actually was no depth with the field of view so foreground and background images were both unnaturally super sharp which caused major focus on even the make up lines being visible….

So yeah sure…there certainly is some truth to what you’re saying.

They are still fun fantasy rollercoaster rides with obvious lows but with those lows comes also the highs.

PJ pushed the boundary so far that there were cinematography papers written on his experiment going into super detail about his techniques which were very unconventional.

The consensus was that while they respected him pushing the boundary they felt that his 3-D HFR was disastrous to the art of cinema.
Counterpoint:

They're ass.

I didn't care for The Hobbit movies at all. The lack of passion involved in making them was pretty obvious compared to the LOTR trilogy.

I didn't care for The Hobbit movies at all. The lack of passion involved in making them was pretty obvious compared to the LOTR trilogy.
I'd disagree about the "lack of passion".

Superb casting for the most part. Dunno much about acting, but watching Freeman's Bilbo it struck me at some point how he completely telegraphs his nervousness at Bag End e.g. twiddling his fingers, the use of his hands. Idly thought about that again watching the blank performances in the Acolyte:monkey3. Then there's Armitage the day they filmed Thorin's death, nobody was allowed to talk to him etc. so he could prepare.

And then I think how fortunate we all were to have McKellen's Gandalf and IMO Pace's Thranduil seized the imagination.

The other thing too - and fans are unforgiving (I've got no great love for CGI tho IMO Smaug is the greatest dragon ever put on screen) - the world had changed since LOTR. But plenty of articles about how New Zealand craftspeople were back at it again, making set pieces like Beorn's axe.

IMO the problem is cheap Warner Brothers, who even rehashed Hobbit PR art. WB never went all out with the Hobbit, or even funded restoring unseen, possibly damaged LOTR footage that fans desperately want. Instead they put out that cheap rehash "collector edition" at one point. :pfft:

Just watching the DC universe flop - well, that's WB. They don't seem to have any real passion for the licenses they hold. I don't like everything PJ & co. do, including PJ's fascination with a "fighting female elf" but he pulled off three movies when the purse strings were held by "corporate".

Tho obviously re ROP money isn't everything. Far as I know, PJ was never called for a consult. The real Tolkien expert on staff had already quit. Watching J. Abrams pupils in interviews they seem to be all too happy with themselves churning out cringe. :poop: Maybe my next job interview I'll go "just give me the meat, and give it to me raw" and see how that works out for me.:lol

Meat Growling GIF by DriveTribe

I just watched the first 2 episodes of this season 2 and I like it so far. it's been nice.

I'm not a Tolkien purist and I don't remember much of the books or stuff but I liked these 2 episodes

watched episode 3, the stuff with the humans is
A W F U L.......now I realize what the problem with season 1 was as well .
everything with the dwarves, everything with the elves, and the Hobbit girls is really nice. the stuff with the orcs is very interesting.
I don't mind the orc family scene.

the stuff with humans is just terrible, it's boring.

watched episode 3, the stuff with the humans is
A W F U L.......now I realize what the problem with season 1 was as well .
everything with the dwarves, everything with the elves, and the Hobbit girls is really nice. the stuff with the orcs is very interesting.
I don't mind the orc family scene.

the stuff with humans is just terrible, it's boring.
Human stuff is super bad.

And the concept of Saurons visage being the pupil of the eye.
That was dope.
Almost makes me wish they could go back and implement that idea in the LOTR trilogy.

Just throwing my 2 cents into the Hobbit debate, there is a great film, maybe even 2 good films hidden in the Hobbit trilogy.
Some awesome fan edits really elevate it - the M4 edit and the Maple Cut of the films are pretty damn good, I even have them burned onto bluray.

And as for any folks saying ROP is better than the Hobbit trilogy
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

The Hobbit movies have a lot of cringe and bad CGI etc etc. But it also gives us Riddles in the Dark, the best cinematic dragon ever, Martin Freeman's Bilbo, Lee Pace being the most iconic elf ever, the White Council battle at Dol Guldur and the image of Sauron being the pupil of The Eye, The Death of Thorin and other great things.

ROP is an abomination whose only contribution to the world is click-rage-bait content for Youtube reviewers.

Ok ok ok I need LOTR diehards for this.

In the books were the 3 Elvin rings made last and not first and that they were made last by Celebrimbor AFTER Sauron made his ONE ring to counter Sauron’s magic that he embedded in the Dwarves and Human rings?

And in the book after Sauron learned of the 3 Elvin rings he actually started a war with Eregion to get those 3 Elvin rings!

If that’s the case this show really **** the bed lol

Last edited:
"for the Orcs had life and multiplied after the manner of the Children of Iluvatar..."

“Bolg, son of Azog”

Hitler had a family too, that doesn’t suddenly make him a sympathetic figure :lol.

Back