Things I Hate

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being micro-managed. My new supervisor has been with the company for two months, the new head of my department has been there one year. Neither of them have kids and aren't exactly empathetic toward the situation of working mothers. Both of them want me to work 40 hours. This company has been extremely flexible with my schedule since I have had kids. I have worked here more than 15 years, but I think I can see the writing on the wall. I even think they are keeping track of how many times a day I leave my desk (which I need to do to solve problems and put out fires on a regular basis). I feel like I am being closely watched, so I have to be very regimented with my work. I don't talk about my store when either of them are in earshot. I almost forgot how stressful work can be. A co-worker heard them say if I didn't want to go full-time, maybe I don't need to be there. More work needs to get done, but they need to get more people, anyway. I have seen this company grow from $1 million a year in sales to almost $9 million in one month. If I do "x" and am really good at doing "x", why can't I just keep doing that?

I know - too many words. Rant over.

Being micro-managed. My new supervisor has been with the company for two months, the new head of my department has been there one year. Neither of them have kids and aren't exactly empathetic toward the situation of working mothers. Both of them want me to work 40 hours. This company has been extremely flexible with my schedule since I have had kids. I have worked here more than 15 years, but I think I can see the writing on the wall. I even think they are keeping track of how many times a day I leave my desk (which I need to do to solve problems and put out fires on a regular basis). I feel like I am being closely watched, so I have to be very regimented with my work. I don't talk about my store when either of them are in earshot. I almost forgot how stressful work can be. A co-worker heard them say if I didn't want to go full-time, maybe I don't need to be there. More work needs to get done, but they need to get more people, anyway. I have seen this company grow from $1 million a year in sales to almost $9 million in one month. If I do "x" and am really good at doing "x", why can't I just keep doing that?

I see this happen all the time, since I'm a IT manager, I get it all the time as well. I have new supervisors that comes into play and they don't get along or think they need to shape up some of the old timers that have been here for years. They do their job very well, no issues, etc.. but they are used to having it a certain way for a very long time and then a new boss comes into play and shakes things up.

I see it from both ways, the new bosses want to prove themselves, create more output, if that's even possible but at the same time the employees that are there HAVE been doing a good job for a very long time and why fix what's not broken. It's not like you are NOT handling the job responsibilities right, everything runs smoothly.

One of the two things always happens here, the new boss either gives up and leaves to find another supervisor, managerial role at another company or that employee gets fed up with it and leaves. We usually have the new bosses leave TBH.

and needing new help but making hand over fist in profit usually ends up in adding more work to the existing employees so the share holders get fatter pockets. My wife just left a company just like this. :monkey4

IMO, in the whole ball of wax being the guy right below our director, I don't care what you do as long as the job is done and working correctly. If everything is working then I look good, if everything is not so smooth, I look bad. You make me look bad then I'm going to have to say something. :lol

Ski

Last edited:
I see this happen all the time, since I'm a IT manager, I get it all the time as well. I have new supervisors that comes into play and they don't get along or think they need to shape up some of the old timers that have been here for years. They do their job very well, no issues, etc.. but they are used to having it a certain way for a very long time and then a new boss comes into play and shakes things up.

I see it from both ways, the new bosses want to prove themselves, create more output, if that's even possible but at the same time the employees that are there HAVE been doing a good job for a very long time and why fix what's not broken. It's not like you are NOT handling the job responsibilities right, everything runs smoothly.

One of the two things always happens here, the new boss either gives up and leaves to find another supervisor, managerial role at another company or that employee gets fed up with it and leaves. We usually have the new bosses leave TBH.

and needing new help but making hand over fist in profit usually ends up in adding more work to the existing employees so the share holders get fatter pockets. My wife just left a company just like this. :monkey4

IMO, in the whole ball of wax being the guy right below our director, I don't care what you do as long as the job is done and working correctly. If everything is working then I look good, if everything is not so smooth, I look bad. You make me look bad then I'm going to have to say something. :lol

Ski

My dad once told me, "People don't quit jobs, they quit managers".

I feel this is very true, especially in today's job market. They call it work because they have to pay you to go there. Nobody wants to just leave a steady paycheck unless they can't stand the situation they are in.

I was gonna make a snide remark, but decided against it. Basically, in an economy where people have lost their homes, are living on public assistance that doesn't last forever and are still unemployed, looking for someone to loan them cash (banks aren't) to cover schooling so they can learn a different profession to keep food on the table and a roof over their family's heads, your situation seems like a good problem to have. :huh

I was gonna make a snide remark, but decided against it. Basically, in an economy where people have lost their homes, are living on public assistance that doesn't last forever and are still unemployed, looking for someone to loan them cash (banks aren't) to cover schooling so they can learn a different profession to keep food on the table and a roof over their family's heads, your situation seems like a good problem to have. :huh

Really? She's worried about losing her job. :dunno

dilbert20090509.jpg

You're right. I did have second thoughts about posting that. I have had it really good as far as work has been concerned over the last several years. I have weathered bigger storms at this place and need to suck it up. Deal with it one day at a time until they decide to get rid of me. I'm not fired, yet, so I don't have anything to really worry about.

You're right. I did have second thoughts about posting that. I have had it really good as far as work has been concerned over the last several years. I have weathered bigger storms at this place and need to suck it up. Deal with it one day at a time until they decide to get rid of me. I'm not fired, yet, so I don't have anything to really worry about.

Yeah, as you guessed (though weenie didn't and was being a weenie head), I'm not trying to put you down at all, just looking at it from a different perspective. To many, that would be a very nice problem to have in a day where full time hours are being slaughtered due to downsizing or avoiding paying benefits and jobs terminated left and right.

Now if you were to ask my opinion, I think you should jump ship and dedicate 100% to your new business and don't look back. An AllisonAmy jewelry shop in every mall across America. Get cracking! :lol

I hate it when I sound like a whiner!

Started my inventory so I can increase my business insurance. 492 necklaces and counting...

I haven't posted responses in the other thread yet, but I will after more progress has been made.

I hate it when I sound like a whiner!

Started my inventory so I can increase my business insurance. 492 necklaces and counting...

I haven't posted responses in the other thread yet, but I will after more progress has been made.

I hate doing inventory. :monkey4

Whining and _____ing is what this thread is about!

Hey Amy, do you make hair accesories?

Back