1/6 Hot Toys - MMS284 - Avengers: AoU - Ultron Prime Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now let's do some real math......6"X2=$20X2=$40+fancier paint apps (real world/CHINA price)$30 plus lights (real world/CHINA price)$30= add $50 for the label/puke and we're talking $150.....yet Hot Toys wants $350......let's compare apples to apples.....we're getting ripped off.IMHO. We are getting charged Ferrari prices when the product is far far away from being a Ferrari. Done ranting.

That's not even close to a real apples to apples comparison. For one, the smaller line is a retail line which has a production run magnitudes above anything hot toys does. If you build two things and the cost to build them is ten dollars then each item only costs 5 dollars a piece to make. But if you only build one, it's ten bucks. That's the basis behind the argument, but in this case hasbro probably makes 50-100k or more. Hot toys 5-10k( and probably not even half that).

Next the LEDs. You can't just say an led costs x dollars and that's the difference. Unless your making the exact same figures and leaving an led in the box as a gift. There's a lot of extra engineering. Both for space, look, assembly, paint, connection to other LEDs and switches and either batteries or adapters, and each other. Sculpting a figure and making the molds or tooling for a solid body object opposed to a complex hundred piece figure with electrical connections and lights and pathways and wires and switches is extremely more complex.

The paint apps-you dismiss that like its a minor deal. One is robotically painted in mass and the other is mostly hand painted. You ever tried to paint a 17 inch tall complex figure with the amount of detail and under the level of scrutiny these get? It's not some quick cheap process.

You also stated 6x2=20x2...which on top of being realy bad math, is also wrong. This figure is north of 16 inches tall, not 12. Just saying.

As for getting ripped off....unless someone forced you to buy this against your will, or you got scammed no ones ripping anyone off. If your happy with your 6 inch toy fantastic. If Howard chan shows up in your home with a shotgun and forces you to preorder this guy and holds you hostage till it actually ships and you then get charged...call the police. Outside of that no ones getting ripped off.

He does. But as i can sadly afford only 1 Ultron. Ultimate gets my vote.

If Ultimate becomes an actual thing and HT decides to make it, I'm hoping that I'll have enough funds to get him as well since I already PO'd this one (being the "main" form and all). Hopefully HT spreads out the releases so I have enough time to save up for it (not to mention the Sentries and the Mark 1).

Still it is going to be a crappy little Hasblo figure. I collected Marvel Legends for a long time, but the Hasblo stuff sucked compared to Toy Biz. It why I stopped collecting them and focused on 12" figures.

I still say that Marvel Legends has nothing to do with HT, and there is no comparison on pricing. Or we could just do the math this way, when you scale the action figure from 6-8" to 18" consider that the material required go up exponentially not linearly.

Honestly I just see no reason to debate this. If you think it is too expensive, don't buy it. These are all really expensive dolls. It doesn't make any logical sense to buy any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll agree with you on certain points......Hasbro stuff sucked when it first came out the new stuff blows the old stuff outta the park though.....look at Black Cat for an example.....Look at the old what was it !8" or higher Spiderman that sold for what $50.....minus the fact that he didn't wear soft goods.....it was still an excellent figure for the price.......I'm just being an old grumpy man tonight.....prices have risen so much since I got into the game that being said I own about 45 Hot Toys figures that I bought in less than a year and a half so I'm kinda being narcissistic............I guess I'm just getting old and grumpy...lol.

I meant 6"(which cost $20)=$20X2 to equal an equivalent 12" figure. either way.....lol....just bustin balls tonight.

Hugs guys......I need some sleep. Still eagerly anticipating my Strike Captain two pack and Starlord.......Cheers.

Would have been cool if HT used some sort of red translucent resin to simulate the red in the eyes. Not sure if it would have looked noticeable or redundant, but it's possible that it could have looked better than just having all the red come from the internal light system. Still I don't mind it, the most recent shots have illustrated to me just how good the figure looks even without the lights on.

That's my point......if they wanna charge Ferrari price....I don't wanna look at the figure and say this needs to be changed.....ect......still love Hot Toys......just want them to step up to the plate.

That's not even close to a real apples to apples comparison. For one, the smaller line is a retail line which has a production run magnitudes above anything hot toys does. If you build two things and the cost to build them is ten dollars then each item only costs 5 dollars a piece to make. But if you only build one, it's ten bucks. That's the basis behind the argument, but in this case hasbro probably makes 50-100k or more. Hot toys 5-10k( and probably not even half that).

Next the LEDs. You can't just say an led costs x dollars and that's the difference. Unless your making the exact same figures and leaving an led in the box as a gift. There's a lot of extra engineering. Both for space, look, assembly, paint, connection to other LEDs and switches and either batteries or adapters, and each other. Sculpting a figure and making the molds or tooling for a solid body object opposed to a complex hundred piece figure with electrical connections and lights and pathways and wires and switches is extremely more complex.

The paint apps-you dismiss that like its a minor deal. One is robotically painted in mass and the other is mostly hand painted. You ever tried to paint a 17 inch tall complex figure with the amount of detail and under the level of scrutiny these get? It's not some quick cheap process.

You also stated 6x2=20x2...which on top of being realy bad math, is also wrong. This figure is north of 16 inches tall, not 12. Just saying.

As for getting ripped off....unless someone forced you to buy this against your will, or you got scammed no ones ripping anyone off. If your happy with your 6 inch toy fantastic. If Howard chan shows up in your home with a shotgun and forces you to preorder this guy and holds you hostage till it actually ships and you then get charged...call the police. Outside of that no ones getting ripped off.

You really took the time to answer his joke math?

If Ultimate becomes an actual thing and HT decides to make it, I'm hoping that I'll have enough funds to get him as well since I already PO'd this one (being the "main" form and all). Hopefully HT spreads out the releases so I have enough time to save up for it (not to mention the Sentries and the Mark 1).

It is an actual thing! :pray:

"Just follow the Legos..."

It is an actual thing! :pray:

"Just follow the Legos..."

Haha I don't doubt it! Rather, by "actual thing" I guess I'm referring to the idea of toy companies capitalizing on it and actually making figures of it beyond just Lego.

Maybe when the movie comes out?
Hopefully, by then when companies start to pick up on it, it should at least give me some time to save up for it, especially with the entire Avengers roster keeping HT busy. :lol

:exactly:

I want to buy like 95% of the AoU figures so I need time to save money :lol I'll pass on Prime but I will get all the other versions

I want to buy like 95% of the AoU figures so I need time to save money :lol I'll pass on Prime but I will get all the other versions

no kidding.... with all the figures getting pushed because of the docks, I'll have to consider the time I have now as 'saving time', because there will be a flood of figures right before this line starts to ship :panic:

When you get that many you will probably get all! Sadly I can afford only ultimate Ultron, hawkeye, Cap (sold my TFA to fund it, as much as I like that uniform, it just doesn't fit in with the newer avengers anymore) and IM Mk45. Wanted Hulkbuster but that alone would cost me all of the above.

Back