1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
35i0mky.jpg

finished resculpting.

wow!:drool:clap

Yes sideshow ANH suit and chest armor,or kaiyodo armor if you want more accurate. I wouldn't use the boots or shin guards off the DX, way over scaled. Kaiyodo boots and shin guards are easy enough to customise and look far better scale wise. Everything else is from the DX. In my opinion your starting point should be the base body. If you have or can get both SSC vader bodies, bashing them together will give you an excellent scaled vader. Top half the DX and mid down the ANH

Matrix, would you mind being alittle more specific about how you spliced the two bodies together?

Use the ANH body from the abs down and the top chest of the DX. I shaved down the sides of the DX so the arms are closer to his body and it looks more natural. I really think that the body underneath is hugely important to the overall look. I retooled a joint to fit both together so you'll still have full swivel and abs crunch. You can shave a little off the end of the legs to get him close to the exact height. Then all the fun begins padding him up! I padded up the middle with soft foam so it all looks good when you suit him up. It really is a labour of love, as mad as it all sounds:cuckoo:

Well I'm diving in head first, of course had the deluxe vader, just got the kaiyodo Kit last week, and just won a cheap ANH vader, so I'll have everything I need. Yours is truly the best I've seen and about as perfect as I can imagine. Thanks for all the tips and instructions!

Well I'm diving in head first, of course had the deluxe vader, just got the kaiyodo Kit last week, and just won a cheap ANH vader, so I'll have everything I need. Yours is truly the best I've seen and about as perfect as I can imagine. Thanks for all the tips and instructions!

Looking forward to seeing your finished vader!

3599w5e.jpg

11kfrys.jpg

Started working on him. His lower eyelids máy be a bit too high, but I think he looks pretty spot-on! Can't believe how hard it was to sculpt him... Took me AGES.

so you shaved down the bottom of the helmet up to where the masking tape is and that`s all you did

That's right,be careful not to take to much off. I tried it on a damaged one first and took to much off and it looked all wrong. The sideshow dome is to small but the longer flare balances it out. The opposite could be said of the hasbro,the dome being a nice size but the flares a little short

That's right,be careful not to take to much off. I tried it on a damaged one first and took to much off and it looked all wrong. The sideshow dome is to small but the longer flare balances it out. The opposite could be said of the hasbro,the dome being a nice size but the flares a little short

To my eye the dome on Hasbro is a little oversized for the Kaiyodo though. Works for the SS mask only IMO.

Think the Sideshow with cut off flare (as in the pic posted by me) is the ideal option ATM. Just don't take off too much!

Completely agree,the sideshow helmet works better. Still can't believe how sideshow made a complete mess of the mask twice! And the kaiyodo is so close to being perfect,and made over 20 years ago

Completely agree,the sideshow helmet works better. Still can't believe how sideshow made a complete mess of the mask twice! And the kaiyodo is so close to being perfect,and made over 20 years ago

I wasn't as much into Vader as I was into Fett before I got the Sideshow, so I was innitially impressed with it, but once someone pointed out the faults it made me crazy. In this day and age 250$ figures shouldn't be this blatantly inaccurate. Sure it has a nice chest and belt boxes, at least IMO, but that's about the only thing that looks like it should. Especially since some parts of the 125$ V1 vader look better.. Jumpsuit most notably, and the facemask too. The boots as well.. I am not buying sideshow products anymore, their Boba Fett was just as bad sculpt wise, with Medicom's 7 year older offering being far more accurate in shape.

I wasn't as much into Vader as I was into Fett before I got the Sideshow, so I was innitially impressed with it, but once someone pointed out the faults it made me crazy. In this day and age 250$ figures shouldn't be this blatantly inaccurate. Sure it has a nice chest and belt boxes, at least IMO, but that's about the only thing that looks like it should. Especially since some parts of the 125$ V1 vader look better.. Jumpsuit most notably, and the facemask too. The boots as well.. I am not buying sideshow products anymore, their Boba Fett was just as bad sculpt wise, with Medicom's 7 year older offering being far more accurate in shape.

All so very true,i was sucked into getting the DX fig because of the light up features,but that hideous mask just killed the overall look for me. The mind boggles why they can't hire someone with an eye for scale and accuracy

Back