1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I just received an old ANH Vader today which I was hoping to fix up and customize....but looking at the awesome jumpsuit it comes with I have to admit it's very tempting to use it on my ROTJ Vader instead!

It is just feels and looks miles better than the other one.
I swapped my body suits over since my ANH mainly hides most the body under the cloak, and the ESB version seems to suit my ANH modded Vader and look better to my eyes

Scored a Kaiyodo Vader on Ebay tonight! Apologies to any other board members who may have been bidding on it. :monkey3 I plan on modding the facemask for my ANH custom.

Yeah.. Sorry. lol. Been keeping a tight watch on that one since it went up. This may be an option, though. It looks like a straight recast of the kaiyodo. I know recasts are usually looked down upon but since the kit is old and pretty rare, maybe this could be of use for those of you looking for a kaiyodo/screamin'. 12"Star War Sci Fi Movie Darth Vader Vinyl Model Kit 1 6 | eBay There seems to be a bunch on ebay when I searched for "vader vinyl model."

Yeah I just received an old ANH Vader today which I was hoping to fix up and customize....but looking at the awesome jumpsuit it comes with I have to admit it's very tempting to use it on my ROTJ Vader instead!

It is just feels and looks miles better than the other one.

The change in jumpsuit for the DX Vader is a real head scratcher, even more so than them not fixing the height. The DX jumpsuit honestly doesn't look as good as the Hasbro one. Yet the SSC ANH one looks like a miniature version of the real suit.:slap

The facemask on the SSC ANH Vader is also (to me) noticeably better than the DX one, even if the dome is wonky.

The change in jumpsuit for the DX Vader is a real head scratcher, even more so than them not fixing the height. The DX jumpsuit honestly doesn't look as good as the Hasbro one. Yet the SSC ANH one looks like a miniature version of the real suit.:slap

The facemask on the SSC ANH Vader is also (to me) noticeably better than the DX one, even if the dome is wonky.
agreed, this is my Anh with the esb body and suit with the Hasbro dome
I actually like this more then my esb DX

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 246
Yeah.. Sorry. lol. Been keeping a tight watch on that one since it went up. This may be an option, though. It looks like a straight recast of the kaiyodo. I know recasts are usually looked down upon but since the kit is old and pretty rare, maybe this could be of use for those of you looking for a kaiyodo/screamin'. 12"Star War Sci Fi Movie Darth Vader Vinyl Model Kit 1 6 | eBay There seems to be a bunch on ebay when I searched for "vader vinyl model."

You don't want to use the recasts. They are smaller than the original kit because of shrinkage. Too small for a SSC custom.

Yeah, I think I'll wait to see the in-hand pics of the HT Vader before I go down that road. It's the reason I made my $25 Vader - to have in the background until I can get a better understanding of what HT will deliver. The HT proto looks "just okay" at this point, but it's possible it could be tweaked and be great. It's like HT Ben - do you spend $400+ to customize the SSC Ben, or wait to see what the HT final product looks like?

I'm hoping Eczamurai will sell casts of his amazing Vader facemask. Once you have the the mask right, the rest isn't hugely hard. Matrix's key assets are the Kaiyodo mask and the SSC ANH suit. They are both incredibly accurate.

Not the ones you need, at least easily. Yeah, you can buy the ROTJ DX chest box for $100 and the dome (w/mask) for another $50+ but where's that going to get you? $600 instead of $500? Then... what if you get 8 of the 12 items and can't get the other four? You can get gloves, boots etc. pretty easily but it's somewhat rare to see things like the ANH jumpsuit.

You only speak the truth bud!!, can't agree more with you.. And hoping eczamurai will cast that kayodo mask hahaha and sell it to us, that's the key indeed.. (Praying) hahaha

This is fantastic. Very accurate curves and proportions on the dome. Could you please post a front view of the helmet?

Scored a Kaiyodo Vader on Ebay tonight! Apologies to any other board members who may have been bidding on it. :monkey3 I plan on modding the facemask for my ANH custom.

Yeah once you take the awful helmet off the mask actually looks pretty good. It's not nearly as flat or off as I was expecting from the pictures.

I'm definitely going to need to scratchbuild a new chestbox for him though, because the current one is just...yikes.

agreed, this is my Anh with the esb body and suit with the Hasbro dome
I actually like this more then my esb DX

That does seem to work really well.

So what body did you use for that, because it looks perfect. I was considering one of the tall COO muscle bodies, but I can't tell if the shoulders are going to be wide enough for Vader or not.

Because the standard body I have definitely doesn't work.

ok here is my version of the Kaiyodo ssc dlx vader I redid over. I striped the paint as I did not like how it turned out. I did the same thing that matrix69 did. by using the Kaiyodo vader shin guards and the boots. instead of putting feet in there I cut the joints out of those large over scale feet that the dlx vader came with and wedged them into the feet. and used the kaiyodo gloves I hope you like how it turned out. vader pic.jpg

ok here is my version of the Kaiyodo ssc dlx vader I redid over. I striped the paint as I did not like how it turned out. I did the same thing that matrix69 did. by using the Kaiyodo vader shin guards and the boots. instead of putting feet in there I cut the joints out of those large over scale feet that the dlx vader came with and wedged them into the feet. and used the kaiyodo gloves I hope you like how it turned out. View attachment 162643

Nice job you've done! Great idea with boots! Looks nicely scaled to,what height have you got it?

Is there a really noticeable difference in scale between Kaiyodo and SSC shin guards?

Back