1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will you be making more of these mask`s they look great. I would like one if so

Well I was only planning on casting two, for my ANH and ESB Vaders. I suppose I could make some more for whoever wants them, but my mold making skills are pretty rudimentary and I was really just planning on sculpting the front half of the mask and then gluing that to the back half of the old heads with the existing adaptor thingies inside (since the adaptors are two different sizes anyway... and because I don't really know how to engineer anything more complicated than that).

So if you guys don't mind having to improvise the same way with it, then sure. :p

Whoa... whoa... AWESOME Vader sculpt, davejames. Better than SSC or HT Vader sculpts. Is there an interested list for this? Remarkably well done - agree on the slightly wider neck and tweak to nose bridge slots.

Whoa... whoa... AWESOME Vader sculpt, davejames. Better than SSC or HT Vader sculpts. Is there an interested list for this? Remarkably well done - agree on the slightly wider neck and tweak to nose bridge slots.

Thanks, appreciate it! Although it's really just a matter of copying over a bunch of flat shapes and angles, and using overlays to make sure everything matches up. Nothing that really requires a ton of skill to be honest (unlike trying to sculpt a human likeness or something). SSC could have easily done the same thing with theirs, but obviously wanted it to be a whole lot more symmetrical.

And also for it to have a giant mouth for some reason. Lol

33a74o3.jpg

So... I cut apart my painted Vader... I want to make it a reveal.

Yes. I am an idiot. And yes I will succeed in making this a VERY crowded reveal headsculpt!

You've got balls of steel:) That's looking good,would the kaiyodo top mask fit the stock SS reveal? Or are they different widths from tusk to tusk?

Well I was only planning on casting two, for my ANH and ESB Vaders. I suppose I could make some more for whoever wants them, but my mold making skills are pretty rudimentary and I was really just planning on sculpting the front half of the mask and then gluing that to the back half of the old heads with the existing adaptor thingies inside (since the adaptors are two different sizes anyway... and because I don't really know how to engineer anything more complicated than that).

So if you guys don't mind having to improvise the same way with it, then sure. :p

Looks great davejames. I would be in for TESB version.

:)

H

You could send a copy to us we can engineer anything you'd want added including ESB /ROTJ versions with brows and crowns
Steph x

Yep x
Or, we could send you a mask and you could remove the brow and crown and blend that to your mask. So I've been told .Or whatever suits you .
Steph x

Last edited:
Ok, don't know if this will ultimately work out or not... but I decided to take a crack at sculpting a new mask for my ESB Vader. It's still very rough and needs to be smoothed and sharpened up quite a bit, but I matched it as closely as I could with the real mask (and when layered together everything seems to match right, at least from the front).

Still not sure about the overall size though (being unpainted it probably looks bigger than it is at the moment). And while I matched all the crooked, asymmetrical features, part of me thinks that might need to be toned down a bit for 1/6 scale, since the crookedness seems to jump out a lot more than it should. Either that or I'm just way too aware of it now....

Oh well, if nothing else it's been a fun and challenging thing to try to sculpt. :p

View attachment 168445
View attachment 168446

Damn, this is amazing! I love your hands! You are a real artist man, but I think that you know that! If you make a production of this great piece I'd love to be the first italian with your vader mask !! :clap:clap:rock:rock

Thanks, appreciate it! Although it's really just a matter of copying over a bunch of flat shapes and angles, and using overlays to make sure everything matches up. Nothing that really requires a ton of skill to be honest (unlike trying to sculpt a human likeness or something). SSC could have easily done the same thing with theirs, but obviously wanted it to be a whole lot more symmetrical.

And also for it to have a giant mouth for some reason. Lol

...except that both SSC and HT couldn't do it. Really looking forward to seeing this painted up in the gun metal and black.

The one thing that might be tricky is to get right the mesh behind the mouth grill and in the below-the-chin triangle (more visible in ESB due to larger triangle.) For my cheapo Hasbro Vader reboot, I actually found the grill pattern on the RPF and color printed it in a steel/copper-type color with black background and it looks pretty good from a normal viewing distance - i.e. doesn't hold up as well in the choker-close-up pics people seem to favor on these boards, but looks fine in-hand.

Get on this - STAT!:lol Truly incredible work that comes closer than anything widely available so far.

...except that both SSC and HT couldn't do it. Really looking forward to seeing this painted up in the gun metal and black.

The one thing that might be tricky is to get right the mesh behind the mouth grill and in the below-the-chin triangle (more visible in ESB due to larger triangle.) For my cheapo Hasbro Vader reboot, I actually found the grill pattern on the RPF and color printed it in a steel/copper-type color with black background and it looks pretty good from a normal viewing distance - i.e. doesn't hold up as well in the choker-close-up pics people seem to favor on these boards, but looks fine in-hand.

Get on this - STAT!:lol Truly incredible work that comes closer than anything widely available so far.

During development we bought it lots of photo etched meshes, I ve been told the alloy mesh we use for the masks of ESB /Rotj was bought from ebay as scaled fence meshing for scale railways and is very close indeed
3256F81A-F20F-4267-9506-04C8C2B4B815_zps1adr3bqz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

During development we bought it lots of photo etched meshes, I ve been told the alloy mesh we use for the masks of ESB /Rotj was bought from ebay as scaled fence meshing for scale railways and is very close indeed
3256F81A-F20F-4267-9506-04C8C2B4B815_zps1adr3bqz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That looks incredible - the attention to detail in the eye lens with mesh is awesome. The custom Vader I built didn't deserve photo-etched mesh, but that sounds like a great solution for something as special as davejames' sculpt. The only issue is to ensure the slots between the "teeth" are clear for the mesh to show through, and the teeth themselves thin enough in depth so the mesh doesn't look like it's too far back.

Back