1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I'm stuck untill I get a good gloss cote I might as well enjoy him as he is and pretend he's sort kinda ANH.

sxcbac.jpg

That's looking great!

Finished the paint job, added the tusks, still need to add the gloss and I will be done.

I am considering getting another kaiyodo, because doing this has made me realise there is a better way to resculpt the mouth part, risky, but better. But only after finishing this and having enough funds for such endeavors!
2a94qoi.jpg

Ok, don't know if this will ultimately work out or not... but I decided to take a crack at sculpting a new mask for my ESB Vader. It's still very rough and needs to be smoothed and sharpened up quite a bit, but I matched it as closely as I could with the real mask (and when layered together everything seems to match right, at least from the front).

Still not sure about the overall size though (being unpainted it probably looks bigger than it is at the moment). And while I matched all the crooked, asymmetrical features, part of me thinks that might need to be toned down a bit for 1/6 scale, since the crookedness seems to jump out a lot more than it should. Either that or I'm just way too aware of it now....

Oh well, if nothing else it's been a fun and challenging thing to try to sculpt. :p

IMAG2846  (370x462).jpgIMAG2864  (407x475).jpg

IMAG2880 (548x600).jpg
IMAG2863  (420x500).jpg

And here it is with both helmets on:

IMAG2886 (450x500).jpg

(and yes, I know the lower grill needs to be a lot bigger for the ESB version) :D

Ok, don't know if this will ultimately work out or not... but I decided to take a crack at sculpting a new mask for my ESB Vader. It's still very rough and needs to be smoothed and sharpened up quite a bit, but I matched it as closely as I could with the real mask (and when layered together everything seems to match right, at least from the front).

Still not sure about the overall size though (being unpainted it probably looks bigger than it is at the moment). And while I matched all the crooked, asymmetrical features, part of me thinks that might need to be toned down a bit for 1/6 scale, since the crookedness seems to jump out a lot more than it should. Either that or I'm just way too aware of it now....

Oh well, if nothing else it's been a fun and challenging thing to try to sculpt. :p

View attachment 168443View attachment 168444

View attachment 168445
View attachment 168446

And here it is with both helmets on:

View attachment 168447

(and yes, I know the lower grill needs to be a lot bigger for the ESB version) :D

WOW! ! That looks fantastic!

And while I matched all the crooked, asymmetrical features, part of me thinks that might need to be toned down a bit for 1/6 scale, since the crookedness seems to jump out a lot more than it should. Either that or I'm just way too aware of it now....

maxresdefault.jpg

It's not you. It's your brain automatically fixing any asymmetry. It's what most do with people's faces as well ( I don't, I tend to see people's asymmetry instantly. )

So, no, you shouldn't make it less asymmetrical. ;)

That is an impressive sculpt. The only things I can see that needs improvement is the nose bridge with the three notches are and how slim the neck is. Everything else looks really well sculpted and proportional and I definitely do not think you should try and make it more symmetrical or idealized. The scale also looks great.

What kind of sculpting material are you using?

Thanks guys.

That is an impressive sculpt. The only things I can see that needs improvement is the nose bridge with the three notches are and how slim the neck is. Everything else looks really well sculpted and proportional and I definitely do not think you should try and make it more symmetrical or idealized. The scale also looks great.

What kind of sculpting material are you using?

Yeah I agree the nose bridge still needs some work. And glad to hear the scale looks good (because I really did not want to have to resculpt it smaller).

And it's just basic super sculpey. I was kinda hoping to be able to scratchbuild it out of styrene, but with all the weird shapes and angles I realized it would be far easier to sculpt it instead.

Back