1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's exactly like the Toy Biz one. Flimsy, plastic jello mold flimsy.
Seriously? I was half expecting someone to say, don't be stupid, its a collectable so its good thick plastic.

The pictures of it look great (the car) but how plastic does it look in real life is it painted at all?

Finally opened mine a couple weeks ago. I ordered and received it from sideshow January 2014. Why I waited I do not know. Opened her up and zero scratches or flaws. Have around 200 figures now and started collecting December 2013. Waiting till we buy our new house before unpacking and displaying. Will need 3rd living room for my collection.

You're brave. I opened mine up in the store I bought it

And yes, the outer shield is flimsy plastic. I think it would break if something fell on it

Seriously? I was half expecting someone to say, don't be stupid, its a collectable so its good thick plastic.

The pictures of it look great (the car) but how plastic does it look in real life is it painted at all?

I agree it's not the sturdiest plastic in the world, but it's not like it's completely frail or anything. It is not painted at all...just plain, black, probably vacuum-formed plastic.

I was lucky enough to receive one of these without any scratches what so ever. opened it up and literally jumped for joy as i inspected it and not a single blemish. then as i was taking the car into my display room i walked full belt into the door frame as i mis-judged how long this car really is. gave it a hell of a whack and took some paint off the door frame. I rubbed (and rubbed!) the door frame paint off the car and it was still to my relief perfect. surprisingly hardy really.

I was lucky enough to receive one of these without any scratches what so ever. opened it up and literally jumped for joy as i inspected it and not a single blemish. then as i was taking the car into my display room i walked full belt into the door frame as i mis-judged how long this car really is. gave it a hell of a whack and took some paint off the door frame. I rubbed (and rubbed!) the door frame paint off the car and it was still to my relief perfect. surprisingly hardy really.

Nice save! :clap

It's not anywhere near as flimsy as the Toy Biz one...that one was only a few steps above a garbage bag in rigidness. The Hot Toys shield is thicker and firmer, but still not very rigid plastic like the car itself is. It also has strategically placed foam padding inside to prevent it from scratching the car (though some received theirs with some missing foam pieces). I think it's a good compromise for something that most people will probably not display often and just use as a dust cover.

Once some of those foam pieces fall out it's as flimsy as the Toy Biz one. 3 pieces of foam have fallen off of mine and it's structure is ****ed. Now I can never put it on top of the Batmobile because of that sticky ass adhesive on the interior of the shield. Sure, it may not be technically as cheap as the Toy Biz one in material (I remember ripping that thing like a cheap food packaging container it was so thin), but I think it's comparable enough for a $600 vehicle when explaining it to someone that doesn't have it. It certainly doesn't scream quality when you pop the top off, that's for sure. Yeah, it may be firmer but it is still a glorified packing tray.

Ideally, it should have been a solid plastic shell with a flocked velvet/felt interior. Maybe then people wouldn't have gotten scratched cars. Better yet, how about no shield at all. It would have certainly freed up some space.

Last edited:
Here she is... AMAZING. A pic as it looks in the entire display, plus a few close ups showing the lack of any major blemishes. I still just cannot believe how perfect this one is... wow.

I've forgotten what a monster this is. Love the Iron Man in the wall.

What's the car itself like though, is it just black plastic or is it treated in anyway?
The car is plastic, yes, just like most any other hot toys product (i.e. Iron Man armors before the die cast lines). The plastic of the car is plenty thick and sturdy, so don't worry about that. It appears to be painted matte black, if that's what you mean by treated in any way. There are a few metallic parts (the vent grates along the rear quarter panel area), and parts like the engine and machine guns have a weathered paint job to them. The black matte paint of the car is not really weathered in any way.

I've forgotten what a monster this is. Love the Iron Man in the wall.
Yeah the thing is huge! Even if I want to get a case it wouldn't fit on the stand I am using.

Yeah, the Iron Man is just a set of wall art night lights I got from Target....one hand, one head. Less than $30 each and they look awesome.

You've got a lovely display.

Well thanks very much! And it's constantly changing! I have since sold Captain America and am in the process of acquiring Bane (and maaaaaybe Catwoman). My entire front display will be DC (Batman and Superman) and my fireplace mantle (not pictured) will house all of my Iron Man pieces.

Really superb display dude. I need to get this at some point. The iron man wall art is great. Have thought about picking up myself a few times.

Once some of those foam pieces fall out it's as flimsy as the Toy Biz one. 3 pieces of foam have fallen off of mine and it's structure is ****ed. Now I can never put it on top of the Batmobile because of that sticky ass adhesive on the interior of the shield. Sure, it may not be technically as cheap as the Toy Biz one in material (I remember ripping that thing like a cheap food packaging container it was so thin), but I think it's comparable enough for a $600 vehicle when explaining it to someone that doesn't have it. It certainly doesn't scream quality when you pop the top off, that's for sure. Yeah, it may be firmer but it is still a glorified packing tray.

Ideally, it should have been a solid plastic shell with a flocked velvet/felt interior. Maybe then people wouldn't have gotten scratched cars. Better yet, how about no shield at all. It would have certainly freed up some space.

That's just plainly not true. The Toybiz one is about the cheapest grade of "hard" plastic available. It's basically the same material as if a action figure blister pack was painted black. It gets crushed and rips VERY easily. The Hot Toys shield, even the parts of it without without the foam is much sturdier than that. It's not a rock-hard piece of plastic, no, but to say it's "as flismy" is a BIG exaggeration.

Second, including the shield was definitely the right choice. It gives the power to buyers right away about whether they want a "complete - with shields" Batmobile or not. Except for the Toy Biz version, and the tiny die-casts that were released a couple of years ago, every version of the Batmobile's shields was a "mail-away-for" option. The AMT/Ertl 1/25 model kit. The RichMan's Toys 1/10 R/C 'shields' carrying case. Even the expensive Toynami made people who wanted it buy it as a separate accessory. Besides the scratching/rubbing problems (which would have been solved if they included a simple plastic bag between the car are the shield in the first place) including it from the get-go with the Hot Toys is the best option for everyone. For those of us, like me, who want the most complete version of the car available in one shot, we get it all in one package without feeling that there is something else out there we need to order for it to be complete. For those of us, like you, who value the space more than the space the shield would take up when it's not on the car, you can try to sell it, (though I don't know why anyone would want -just- the shield) or just chuck it. It's much simpler/easier to discard something you don't want, that it would be for those that do want it to acquire it separately.

Absolute awesomeness in the display mate. Kudos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really superb display dude. I need to get this at some point. The iron man wall art is great. Have thought about picking up myself a few times.
Thanks a lot, guys! It has been a fun adventrue collecting and upgrading and changing my display around as I go. I know many of you do the same:hi5:.

That's just plainly not true. The Toybiz one is about the cheapest grade of "hard" plastic available. It's basically the same material as if a action figure blister pack was painted black. It gets crushed and rips VERY easily. The Hot Toys shield, even the parts of it without without the foam is much sturdier than that. It's not a rock-hard piece of plastic, no, but to say it's "as flismy" is a BIG exaggeration.

That's what I was trying to say, thanks for putting it much better than me! I don't think the shield is some amazing piece of plastic engineering, but it's not just going to break into pieces if you drop it, haha. I, however, have left the thin layer of plastic film on it, and I wonder if that is giving me a false sense of how sturdy it is, as the plastic film gives a little more weight and holds the shield together to some degree. Either way, I think it was great to include it, but it isn't something I'll ever use to display.

The car is plastic, yes, just like most any other hot toys product (i.e. Iron Man armors before the die cast lines). The plastic of the car is plenty thick and sturdy, so don't worry about that. It appears to be painted matte black, if that's what you mean by treated in any way. There are a few metallic parts (the vent grates along the rear quarter panel area), and parts like the engine and machine guns have a weathered paint job to them. The black matte paint of the car is not really weathered in any way.

Thank you, that's exactly what I meant.

Back