Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Denis Villeneuve to direct new Blade Runner film

Years ago if a film was great and had great reviews, it was almost guaranteed to make some money...i'm talking the old days when critics were taken seriously...if they made Gone with the wind today it would bomb and bomb hard

Best film I've seen all year. I'm glad they resisted temptation to dumb it down into some kind of sci fi action thriller. Honestly, that will probably be the reason it doesn't smash at the box office.

I think there's room for both popcorn movies and art films to exist it just means studios have to set their expectations realistically. Which is a harder proposition when the art film you're talking about is Sci-Fi.

Regardless, I think this will be a film that's appreciated well past its years similar to the first blade runner.

If BR 2049 was made in the 70s and earlier I bet it would do better

Best film I've seen all year. I'm glad they resisted temptation to dumb it down into some kind of sci fi action thriller. Honestly, that will probably be the reason it doesn't smash at the box office.

I think there's room for both popcorn movies and art films to exist it just means studios have to set their expectations realistically. Which is a harder proposition when the art film you're talking about is Sci-Fi.

Regardless, I think this will be a film that's appreciated well past its years similar to the first blade runner.

Problem today is the cost of some of these films today...astronomical

Like all of Villeneuve's films, its too intelligent for most people.

Same thing will happen with DUNE in 3 years. Most of us will be raving about its understated brilliance on here and then that one guy will come in and say "Oh man this moovie bombed hahahaha I can't wait for Avengers 9 though!!!!".

Opening night 15/70 IMAX was completely sold out and not one person spoke or used the bathroom during the 3 hours the film ran (without trailers).

Again, this is a movie for the thinking man who can behave during a movie and stay quiet, not the moron who deems films successful based on Box Office (and is probably checking BOM & RT while watching movies at a theater).

Agree 100%...thought provoking film...lol many of the masses don't like that lol

Eh... Dredd bombed hard and is a great movie. You can't take that away from the team involved in making that movie....

No one is questioning the quality of Blade Runner or Dredd, just that if they fail financially, it has a negative effect on the industry, the actors, the directors...etc.

How many movies have you seen Karl Urban star in after Dredd? None.

How about the director, Pete Travis? What has he done since 2012's Dredd? Tv movies and tv show episodes.

That won't happen to Denis Villeneuve, but if this film fails, he probably won't get to direct another big budget film for a while. This was his first shot at a large budget ($180 + mill) film. His previous films were in the $20 mil to $40 mil budget range.

If the director was happy with this film as well as most who have seen it then damn the money...if WB and villnvue are upset...tough...if artist worry about revenue then they are to me not artists...success is now totally for so many based on financials. ..so many of the great artists before never had a pot to piss in but there works last forever

What good is a movie that nobody saw?

Did u see The Fountain? Do u remember it? Do u know anyone that owns it?

Do u even see it played on tv?

Sure it was an incredible movie. An incredible movie almost no one ever saw or cares about.

Even one of my all time favorite movies shares the same fate. No one has ever watched or even heard of the movie Perfume: story of a murderer

No one is questioning the quality of Blade Runner or Dredd, just that if they fail financially, it has a negative effect on the industry, the actors, the directors...etc.

How about the director, Pete Travis? What has he done since 2012's Dredd? Tv movies and tv show episodes.

That won't happen to Denis Villeneuve, but if this film fails, he probably won't get to direct another big budget film for a while. This was his first shot at a large budget ($180 + mill) film. His previous films were in the $20 mil to $40 mil budget range.

Thats what these guys dont understand in this little circlejerk.
It isnt about the quality or the stupid masses.
It is the negative effect this flop will have

zXFBRIa.gif

A true genius can do both.

He will direct Dune next. Denis Villeneuve is here to stay. I’m sure.

That's a problem with the film industry; average movies with a large box office are regarded as a better movie. Quality movies are most likely to 'bomb' to some degree. It's the whole reason why Michael Bay has made about 20 Transformers movies - a safe director in tune with the mass audience.

Yes it sucks that we never got a sequel to Dredd however what we're left with is one very solid standalone movie.

He will direct Dune next. Denis Villeneuve is here to stay. I’m sure.

Yep. He ain't going anywhere. He'll make Dune for more than what this cost. And again all the box office followers here will have no argument.

Thats what these guys dont understand in this little circlejerk.
It isnt about the quality or the stupid masses.
It is the negative effect this flop will have

Yup, that is why My Little Pony will crush this film. There will be spin-off TV shows. Cereal deals. More Toys. Everyone will wear MLP shirts. It will be everywhere. It will be a massive financial success (let's face it --the ONLY thing that really maters-ART pfttft.). All movie studios will cancel other projects, fire the actors and all related jobs in the industry will vanish in thin air. (just like this meaningless thread)

NOT

Yep. He ain't going anywhere. He'll make Dune for more than what this cost. And again all the box office followers here will have no argument.

Wanna bet?

Its not like projects get cancelled or anything.

What good is a movie that nobody saw?

Did u see The Fountain? Do u remember it? Do u know anyone that owns it?

Do u even see it played on tv?

Sure it was an incredible movie. An incredible movie almost no one ever saw or cares about.

Even one of my all time favorite movies shares the same fate. No one has ever watched or even heard of the movie Perfume: story of a murderer

I have seen and enjoyed both of these :wave

But that's the thing, the producers of that might look BR2049's box office failure and decide that maybe this guy is not who they're looking for to direct the movie. Happens all the time. So while one can say that box office success does not mirror the quality of the movie it most definitely matters, because in the end it is the money people who will decide whether an auteur will direct his next project.

Back