Bowen Statues/Busts - Look what's coming!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and it's offical...just preordered my first Bowen statue :yess:

why Bowen...this is why:

Mod20Thor201.jpg

Totally going to pick up the Bowen spinning hammer statue as well. :clap Congrats to those who already picked it up and I pumped to see more Thor statues enter my collection.

Anyone know the projected release date of the spinning hammer Thor statue?

September2011 for Modern Thor, No release date on Spinning Hammer Thor.
I am really looking at the Spinning version but the Modern is working on me.
I just had some strange Event happen :dunno

Ditto. Since I've become such a huge SS fan many years ago, it's especially difficult to make a decision about this. I still have plenty of BD stuff, but don't buy a fraction of what I used to buy. I don't know if I need both, but I want both.

I’m just curious what is the appeal of Bowen statues to others? I for one used to own the FB Thor and Cap but after acquiring my first Sideshow piece, the rest was history. I feel they are really overpriced for what they are.

If you are talking about recent pricing, I agree. However, Bowen has a HUGE library of marvel pieces SSC doesn't. They have been around a long time and put out some killer pieces. Chrome Surfer and Colossus. The FS Villafane Logan and Sabretooth, Apocalypse, Juggy, classic museum Cap and Thor, modern Nova, Maestro, Thanos, smackdown Hulk, Abomination, retro Cable, Deadpool, etc....

You also get very accurate comic representation of the characters that are sculpted. You won't ever see Randy take the liberties that SSC takes with some of their pieces. Colossus will never sport the comiquette face on any of Randy's Colossus pieces.

Both company has it's hits and misses. Scale isn't and issue for me. I separate my SSC stuff form my BD pieces. I buy what I like and pass on the pieces that don't tickle my fancy.

I do find myself buying more SSC pieces than BD ones of late. Not because I like one company more than the other but because I find that I have picked up most of the characters I like from BD. I'm just getting warmed up with my SSC pieces. I'm still missing many of the characters I like from SSC.

That being said, I still have a lot of respect for the awesome pieces Randy has released. Seeing his 2 new Thor pieces, it looks like he still has some nice pieces coming out.

I just had some strange Event happen :dunno

LOL...yea same thing happened to me. I was heavily interested in the Spinning version, but the more and more I look at the modern Thor it just completly nabbed my attention. Ended up having to buy it :dunno

Ditto. Since I've become such a huge SS fan many years ago, it's especially difficult to make a decision about this. I still have plenty of BD stuff, but don't buy a fraction of what I used to buy. I don't know if I need both, but I want both.

Yea I've ONLY collected SSC, simply because that is where I started...but I can't deny how awesome this one was and knew I'd be picking it up.

If you are talking about recent pricing, I agree. However, Bowen has a HUGE library of marvel pieces SSC doesn't. They have been around a long time and put out some killer pieces. Chrome Surfer and Colossus. The FS Villafane Logan and Sabretooth, Apocalypse, Juggy, classic museum Cap and Thor, modern Nova, Maestro, Thanos, smackdown Hulk, Abomination, retro Cable, Deadpool, etc....

You also get very accurate comic representation of the characters that are sculpted. You won't ever see Randy take the liberties that SSC takes with some of their pieces. Colossus will never sport the comiquette face on any of Randy's Colossus pieces.

Both company has it's hits and misses. Scale isn't and issue for me. I separate my SSC stuff form my BD pieces. I buy what I like and pass on the pieces that don't tickle my fancy.

I do find myself buying more SSC pieces than BD ones of late. Not because I like one company more than the other but because I find that I have picked up most of the characters I like from BD. I'm just getting warmed up with my SSC pieces. I'm still missing many of the characters I like from SSC.

That being said, I still have a lot of respect for the awesome pieces Randy has released. Seeing his 2 new Thor pieces, it looks like he still has some nice pieces coming out.

Couldn't agree with you more. Not that I currently have any BD in my collection, but from what I've seen come out of BD it seems apparent that Randy tends to stick MUCH closer to the comic representations of each of the characters and does a fantastic job both is sculpt and paint. That said BD really caught my attention with this modern Thor because seriously I wanted that in my collection as soon as I started, but one hadn't been made yet.

The only things I had to resolve in my mind prior to pulling the trigger was could I handle the scale, price for the scale and the pose (which although EPIC in nature, wasn't really dynamic).

SCALE Although lots of folks are concerned with scale and cause me to think more about it than I ever would on my own, I'm in the camp where if a statue rocks and I like the character I'm getting it and scale shouldn't matter. Sure it would look all sorts of whack if everything was disaplyed on the same shelf or even section of a room, but I am quite happy with adding scale into one of the categories of how I intend on categorizing/separating/displaying my statues.

The original price turned me off but with the immediate savings from becoming a BD club member the statue dropped to $200 which although still steep was worth it to me for this Thor piece.

Lastly the pose still looks kiiller to me and I know BD plans on releasing the spinning hammer Thor which I'll be all over and can satisfy the dynamic pose. Plus SSC tends to quench all of my dynamic posing needs :wink1:

Just to be clear...none of the above is said in comparision to SSC products as I absolutely LOVE the statues I currently have from SSC and plan on buying a TON more. I've just acquired a new love for BD because of this statue and what I see is soon to come. I will say any purchases from BD will be much more selective, however I will be buying more statues from Randy in the future.

Collect what you like and don't what you don't :wink1:

Last edited:
It's a classic Bowen pose. Too bad the Hammer twirling Thor was teased, I think that will prevent many from buying this piece.

It's a classic Bowen pose. Too bad the Hammer twirling Thor was teased, I think that will prevent many from buying this piece.

Well yes and no. I think for the casual Thor collector the action pose Thor is probably going to win out...but those like me who want Thor everything, we'll we must have them all. :clap

Althogh I think there is a LARGE modern Thor fanbase so hopefully both do well cause I'd like to see more in the future.

and it's offical...just preordered my first Bowen statue :yess:

why Bowen...this is why:

Mod20Thor201.jpg

Totally going to pick up the Bowen spinning hammer statue as well. :clap Congrats to those who already picked it up and I pumped to see more Thor statues enter my collection.

Anyone know the projected release date of the spinning hammer Thor statue?

Congrats, this is a great piece indeed. I don't like many Bowen's but I can't deny this piece is very well done. Great pose, great detail, great everything really.

If I were into Thor this would be my 1st Bowen as well.

Congrats, this is a great piece indeed. I don't like many Bowen's but I can't deny this piece is very well done. Great pose, great detail, great everything really.

If I were into Thor this would be my 1st Bowen as well.

Thanks bud. Being such a huge fan of Thor Bowen stole my heart with this piece cause I REALLY REALLY want a modern Thor in my collection. I'll be curious to see a bowen in person and see how the scuplt, paint job ect....hold up against my current SSC statues. That said, I'm def not going to pick a side ever....hey whoever makes something I like will get my business :dunno

Thanks again.

Thanks bud. Being such a huge fan of Thor Bowen stole my heart with this piece cause I REALLY REALLY want a modern Thor in my collection. I'll be curious to see a bowen in person and see how the scuplt, paint job ect....hold up against my current SSC statues. That said, I'm def not going to pick a side ever....hey whoever makes something I like will get my business :dunno

Thanks again.

Your welcome :D

My local comic shop has a ton of statues/pieces and a good 75% are Bowen. I did not know this initially b/c I was just a noob browsing all the figures and busts, and the only 1's that I had any interest in happened to be SSC pieces.

They had a Doom PF for sale and at that time I hadn't started collecting, so the price tag was shocking. I called back when I started collecting and ofc he was sold!

:mad::(:rotfl

Your welcome :D

My local comic shop has a ton of statues/pieces and a good 75% are Bowen. I did not know this initially b/c I was just a noob browsing all the figures and busts, and the only 1's that I had any interest in happened to be SSC pieces.

They had a Doom PF for sale and at that time I hadn't started collecting, so the price tag was shocking. I called back when I started collecting and ofc he was sold!

:mad::(:rotfl

dang...that would have been some sort of luck. Doom just falling in your hands...my local comic shop primarily carries SSC statues but I've had no luck in finding any of the older but badass statues. :dunno

those are long gone

:slap I know...so so late to the game. Fortunately there are TONS of great stuff still to come. Who knows eventually some of the things on my must have list will eventually land in my collection...not sweating it TOO bad since I still have a lot to look forward to. :yess:

:slap I know...so so late to the game. Fortunately there are TONS of great stuff still to come. Who knows eventually some of the things on my must have list will eventually land in my collection...not sweating it TOO bad since I still have a lot to look forward to. :yess:

I missed out on the first couple...went back & got em. I'm only missing the xmen #1 dio

I missed out on the first couple...went back & got em. I'm only missing the xmen #1 dio

You sir are WAY ahead of the game then. :clap

Do you have the space to display them all? Or do you just have your favorites on display and the rest in boxes?

Digital sculptor, Khurram Alavi, has presented Bowen Designs with two new Hulk statue concepts, a 70s Hulk and a "Smart" Hulk from the Peter David era. Randy Bowen is deciding whether or not to pick these up and produce them. He is asking fans to vote and give feedback regarding these Hulks. To participate, please go here...

https://www.statuemarvels.com/f87/possible-new-hulk-13238.html

Thanks!

bowen%20designs%20hulk%20a%2001-XL.jpg

and

bowen%20designs%20smart%20hulk%2002-L.jpg

I like the first displayed images the face and the hair are the hulk that i remember as a child, the second pics dont do much for me.

Back