FRODO & SAMWISE 1/6th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know looking at those 2 images, the portraits don't even look the same, be very curious to see what they're like in hand.

Portrait-wise, these seem like a step back from the pace they'd been on with Old Ben, Palps pack and Praji.

Thats cause they're not. One is still the proto(bottom) and one is the final.

Thats cause they're not. One is still the proto(bottom) and one is the final.

I understand that, but what I'm saying is it almost looks like they revised/changed the sculpt between proto and production. I wish I had the old proto images, but I think it looked like the hair was sculpted with the head and now it's clearly a speparte piece. Wonder what happened.

I understand that, but what I'm saying is it almost looks like they revised/changed the sculpt between proto and production. I wish I had the old proto images, but I think it looked like the hair was sculpted with the head and now it's clearly a speparte piece. Wonder what happened.

Just typical SS proto to final to me. (always changing...mostly for the worse)

I think these look good though, but it would be nice if SS was more consistent from proto to final product.

9213_press02-001.jpg
9213_press09-001.jpg

Hair looks exactly the same to me.

No, it was separate before. Look at the High-Res images on the site.

The sculpt looks like it softened plus the prototype was fully painted.

But the bigger heads does explain why they looked neckless in the 360.

I also see no change in the sculpt. Lighting is different in both pics, the proto pic is showing more shadows and giving the face more structure.

The pics of the production figure are all washed out, making the face look flat with no shadows.

Maybe it's just the drastic difference making it seem like something's really off. Just hard to see such a difference again, the last few figures have lived up to their protos, Sidious was every bit as good and Palpatine and Old Ben weren't identical to the protos but still captured the characters well, but these 2 almost look "juvenile" in some shots.

Looking at the pic reinforces my stance that frodo came out better than sam. But again i think both look good and acceptable.

I think the head is just positioned crappy. The proto pic seems like more care was taken whereas the Prod pic (as is usual) is pretty much the figure strait out of the box.

I think lighting is playing a facture here.

I am sure once we get them in hand they will look much better. And once Josh/Les/Mikey gets a new paint app on there it will look better than the proto.

With Hot Toys proving that you can reproduce high quailty proto paint apps. on production figures, this kind of stuff is getting really disappointing. Going from great protos to just decent production apps. doesn't cut it anymore imo.

I am sure once we get them in hand they will look much better. And once Josh/Les/Mikey gets a new paint app on there it will look better than the proto.

They shouldn't need that though, and for awhile the figures were coming out good where you didn't need it. Old Ben looks fantastic and captures Guiness and it's not just Trev's sculpting, paint could have killed it but the paint captures him well, same with Palps and Sidious, so it can be done.

With Hot Toys proving that you can reproduce high quailty proto paint apps. on production figures, this kind of stuff is getting really disappointing. Going from great protos to just decent production apps. doesn't cut it anymore imo.

I wonder what the difference is between Hot Toys' process and Sideshow's that results in this.

Just from the pics so far i'd give these a 7.5/8 on paint alone. I don't think it's bad.(it's just not proto good) The clothes and stuff look great!

I'll form my full opinion on the paint once I have them in hand and can see the whole thing under flattering lighting, other than the faces, these look top notch. Either it's futzing or tailoring, but the clothes look like a better fit on the final figures.

There's something going on. The paint appears to be a bit different and the head does appear to be a little big on the body.

I don't see it getting bigger-that's what she said.
Anyway, it looks much better-can't wait.

I hope its lighting because the new pictures look kinda weak... but as always in hand is very different than pictures.

i'll wait till they are in hand...i've learned to never expect the production version to look like the prototype.

Back