Guardians of the Galaxy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in love with the opening star-lord scene in this film! The steps bit is great, this film is better than Avengers for me, now it's Gotg, avengers, cap2.

I liked all the little X wing ships joining up to make a giant laser net.

Yeah, I was pretty awestruck by that move and hope that "mystical-ness" can be carried over when Richard Rider/Nova comes. I also liked Ronan's Kamikaze initiative to counter that though. I thought that was pretty badass of him that he can order his pilots to just do that with no hesitation.

Yeah, I was pretty awestruck by that move and hope that "mystical-ness" can be carried over when Richard Rider/Nova comes. I also liked Ronan's Kamikaze initiative to counter that though. I thought that was pretty badass of him that he can order his pilots to just do that with no hesitation.

Nova won't be in Guardians 2

I'm in love with the opening star-lord scene in this film! The steps bit is great, this film is better than Avengers for me, now it's Gotg, avengers, cap2.

Me too!! :hi5:

This is definitely the best Marvel movie so far! I loved everything about it!

The banter between the team was genuinely funny.. not "makes me grin" funny.

Marvel Screens Guardians of the Galaxy For Rocket Raccoon Co-Creator Bill Mantlo

BrZnn4WIgAA7S-7_jpg_large__scaled_300_zpsf7007c82.jpg

While Marvel Studio's latest film Guardians of the Galaxy heats up at the box office for it's opening weekend with a domestic take of $94 million and globally around $140 million, we had this story come across our desk this morning via i09 which we thought was pretty awesome.

Marvel held a special screening for Bill Mantlo, who co-created Rocket Raccoon with artist Keith Giffen. Back in 1992 Mantlo suffered a traumatic brain injury from a hit-and-run accident. Bill's brother posted the following on Facebook:

*****WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DAY FOR BILL MANTLO*****! Marvel hooked Bill up with a PRIVATE VIEWING of "Guardians Of The Galaxy", and my wife Liz and my beloved cousin Jean assisted Bill throughout, enabling him to sit back, relax and relish in the AWESOMENESS of what is going to be, in my humble opinion, Marvel's GREATEST AND MOST SUCCESSFUL FILM EVER! Bill thoroughly enjoyed it, giving it his HIGHEST COMPLIMENT (the BIG "THUMB'S UP!"), and when the credits rolled, his face was locked into the HUGEST SMILE I HAVE EVER SEEN HIM WEAR (along with one or two tears of joy)! This was the GREATEST DAY OF THE LAST 22 YEARS for me, our family, and most importantly, BILL MANTLO!

He later followed up that post with another containing this image and further explanation:

Co-Creator__scaled_300_zpscd2320c0.jpg

The gentlemen that made it possible for Bill to see his creation, ROCKET RACCOON, come alive in "Guardians Of The Galaxy", Marvel Attorney David Althoff (far left) and Marvel VP David Bogart (center). Giving Bill this opportunity was a daunting challenge (with all the legal & security protocols that needed to be breached), but these two FINE MEN made it happen, and Bill had the HAPPIEST DAY OF HIS LIFE! I will NEVER be able to thank them enough for all that they have done for Bill!

As far as compensation goes Bill's brother told Bleeding Cool earlier this year that the co-creator was treated quit fairly:

Bill was treated in an exceptionally fair manner by Marvel/Disney, and on his behalf I can say with the utmost confidence that we are very pleased with the negotiated contract. And, unbeknownst toALL,Marvel has made incredibly generous gestures apart from this particular contract (which ONLY pertains to the rights to the character Rocket Raccoon) to assist in Bill's ongoing care & rehabilitation.

And since we were talking music, this is definitely my favorite piece from the score. It's very 80's fantasy movie sounding. Almost like something you'd expect to hear in E.T.

I was SO excited Friday night to see Guardians...and I left kindof underwhelmed. Meh, is what I described it to my wife and friends.

SPOILER review:

Spoiler Spoiler:

My thoughts exactly.
This film is a series of empty clichés.
The characters are cute and the incessant jokes are often funny but there's nothing underneath.
Singing to Ronan has to be low point of any superhero flick so far, it's on par with emo Peter Parker dancing.
To those who claim that "every story is a cliché" I say BS, some themes are common but a good storyteller should find new ways to explore them.
So far TWS is the one Marvel flick that managed to do that properly.

My thoughts exactly.
This film is a series of empty clichés.
The characters are cute and the incessant jokes are often funny but there's nothing underneath.
Singing to Ronan has to be low point of any superhero flick so far, it's on par with emo Peter Parker dancing.
To those who claim that "every story is a cliché" I say BS, some themes are common but a good storyteller should find new ways to explore them.
So far TWS is the one Marvel flick that managed to do that properly.

nujaha3e.jpg

Nebula was completely under utilized. Karen was great in the role, but had virtually no screen time. And her "big" fight with Gamora was completely underwhelming. Rocket basically stole this movie, as did the mix tape.
Agreed, though I suspect we'll be seeing more of Nebula. . .I certainly hope she can play a major role in Avengers 3, even if not precisely the role she played in the comics.

Alright it's time for the Review That No One Asked For™:

This movie is like some old hobbyists' dream machine on a lift. It needs some fine tuning, but I can see where they want to go with it and I like it. By sheer force of will and absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G CGI, Marvel is a guitar sliding all the way to the bank. Those alien worlds easily set a new benchmark in visuals for me. The action was perfectly executed. Loved the punchy-punchy, the zappy-zappy and the Yondu-yondu. The only downside here is the character work wasn't drawing me in as much as I know they could have. The cast has a load of charm and by no means do I think they got close to maximizing their potential on screen... yet. It's the biggest thing I hope they can improve on in the sequel.

-The Quill flashback went against the tone/pace I felt they were trying to set for him and it was just badly performed. They could have kept that part of his life more mysterious rather than awkwardly injecting drama which was so out of place. For some reason his mom looked like Angelina Jolie fresh off a round of plastic surgery.

-I expected Gamora to be tougher to turn around into a hero. If they spent some time showing us she had a reason to stick it to Ronin, I might have gone along with it more. Taken for what it was, it just sounded like a load of BS so Quill and the rest would get behind her. She is forgiven though because Zoe is so very easy to look at.

-Draxx seemed the most limited of the bunch. Of course a good portion of that is meant to be part of his character, but with so many characters going for the laughs, I wouldn't have objected to making him more intense and a lot stronger. The scenes I was hoping to really see him step up, he sort of fizzled. That first encounter with Ronin should have left him with a couple good shots to remember the "Destroyer" by. The minute he got out of the prison was the minute he lost a good part of his presence on the team.

-Speaking of the prison, that was were Rocket and Groot really convinced me they worked for the film. They could have used a few more moments in the film where they took over like that but they definitely made their mark. Though the final "We Are Groot" line wasn't close to the heart-tugging "Superman" at the end of Iron Giant, it was still fun to watch him branch out... Pun intended, get the sticks out of your asses!
:cuss

-Yondu should have been in there way more. Rooker ate it up and spit it out.

-Ronin was another inexplicable uber-powerful bad guy with a badass weapon to compensate for his blandness. That's fine for most heroes to look good fighting against, but that scene with
Spoiler Spoiler:
actually worked against both of them. It made Ronin look extremely stupid for defying him and it made
Spoiler Spoiler:
look ever so slightly ineffectual. Nothing that can't be remedied in future installments I'd wager.

-The Collector is actually the least involving character in the film and after the fairly lame
Spoiler Spoiler:
I hope he's done eating screen time. He was basically a meeting point here, that's it. Benicio should have let an unknown play him because he's so utterly vacuous.

Anyway, happy to see Marvel find a new strength to work off of. There is evidence of undercooked material and I'm relying on Whedon to charbroil AOU to crispy goodness. Good times and great soundtrack.
Some good points, echoing some of my own critical thoughts. As much as I enjoyed this movie, it did feel like it failed to really reach its potential. While I can't say many specific negative things about it, it wasn't a mind-blowing experience for me, as it felt like it could have been. I actually thought the opening scene worked, but agree that Gamora shouldn't have been so easy to sway. She should have been a bit harder, and less susceptible to Quill (unless, of course, he's Starfox's son). Seems like she was spending most of her adult life being humiliated and trained by Thanos, and built up all this frustration and anger that she eventually wanted to unleash on Thanos, only to spill her guts to the rest of the Guardians so that anyone in the prison within earshot would know of her "true" motivations. But I guess it was good for the story they wanted to tell. And Drax did come across as fairly weak to me, considering that I think of him as a peer to Hulk in the comic.

So what's everyone's favorite song in the movie?
Mine's Redbone's "Come and Get Your Love." I grew up listening to older songs but it's been a while since I heard that one. It was used perfectly for the title sequence with Quill dancing.

"I Want You Back" is a longtime favorite of mine, and is probably my favorite song of the bunch. But in the context of the movie, "Hooked On A Feeling" worked so perfectly for the trailer, and montage in the film. It's probably my favorite.

Back