Hot Toys – MMS126 - Predator 2: Guardian Predator(2010 Toy Fairs Exc) spec

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about Hasbro and Jakks KOs, but when things can be made exactly like the originals so that they are indistinguishable, and if they can be made cheap enough, I worry about the value of collectibles long term. Transformers collectors already see some problems here due to the sophistication of KOs that are being produced and re-sold as the real deal on eBay. It drives demand for the originals down, which drives down value.

As for the Toys McCoy Indy, I don't know much about that, so I can't comment. There will always be exceptions when you are dealing with collectibles, but I'm sure that comic con exclusives from the 1990s that are no longer in style aren't particularly valuable.

I could be completely wrong about all this, but I am always hesitant to assume that anything that seems great today will seem so in 10 years. Technology is advancing so rapidly, that we can't even really imagine what things are going to be like down the road. Think of how things were (collectibles, entertainment, communication, travel, etc.) back in the 1970s versus today.

There will always be nostalgia bud. And there will always be people there ready to capitalize off of it. :lol

I don't disagree with that. That probably accounts for support for the Indy toy. I know it accounts for the vast bulk of Star Wars collecting (and my own collecting generally). But how is nostalgia going to translate into support for a specific toy? If little kids were collecting Hot Toys figures, I would expect them to maintain a bit more long-term value due to nostalgia. And how many people are nostalgic for a background character in Predator 2? Maybe a lot. I don't know.

I don't know about Hasbro and Jakks KOs, but when things can be made exactly like the originals so that they are indistinguishable, and if they can be made cheap enough, I worry about the value of collectibles long term. Transformers collectors already see some problems here due to the sophistication of KOs that are being produced and re-sold as the real deal on eBay. It drives demand for the originals down, which drives down value.

As for the Toys McCoy Indy, I don't know much about that, so I can't comment. There will always be exceptions when you are dealing with collectibles, but I'm sure that comic con exclusives from the 1990s that are no longer in style aren't particularly valuable.

I could be completely wrong about all this, but I am always hesitant to assume that anything that seems great today will seem so in 10 years. Technology is advancing so rapidly, that we can't even really imagine what things are going to be like down the road. Think of how things were (collectibles, entertainment, communication, travel, etc.) back in the 1970s versus today.

Perhaps the price will drop in 10 years but how many people are going to wait that long. Hell if the world ends in 2012 I'm sure prices will plummet. There are just too many assumptions in your argument. I don't see this selling for retail in the secondary market anytime soon.

I don't disagree with that. That probably accounts for support for the Indy toy. I know it accounts for the vast bulk of Star Wars collecting (and my own collecting generally). But how is nostalgia going to translate into support for a specific toy? If little kids were collecting Hot Toys figures, I would expect them to maintain a bit more long-term value due to nostalgia. And how many people are nostalgic for a background character in Predator 2? Maybe a lot. I don't know.

You kinda answered your own question. People who grew up playing with the old Kenner SW toys are the same pitching over $90+ ATM for Sideshow's line. It's the same reason most of us are eagerly awaiting PPO day for this badboy. While we never really had Predator figures as kids, we all saw the movie and that nostalgia is what's draining our wallets. That and hell, he's just a kickass 1:6 figure too! :lol

As mainly a transformer collector myself i disagree for the most part. KO's do not tend to lower the value of figures but Reissues do. A great majority of KOs do not match the quality and there are still collectors who refuse to have a KO. Look at something like Dai Atlas he has a KO version that goes for around 100 but that did not lower the originals cost which goes for quite a bit of money.

Just my opinion at least

I think that's the biggest issue. Glover's not really what I'd consider an "action hero." I just couldn't buy him taking all that punishment and then, on top of that, wasting the predator at the end.

Funny.. because I said essentially the same thing about Adrien Brody and him starring in the new Predators movie and A LOT of nerds had a conniption fit (go check the Predators thread). :lol

Thanks a lot darren1228/ EndIessRAlN/ fawk3s. I will see what sideshow charges for shipping. I think you guys are right. Asking for a pred in this thread might not work :)

Funny.. because I said essentially the same thing about Adrien Brody and him starring in the new Predators movie and A LOT of nerds had a conniption fit (go check the Predators thread). :lol

I agree with ya there too. Like the NECA threads, I just don't post in there because the last thing I need is another infraction. :lol

Brody has been in more lead action/horror/scifi roles than Glover.

As mainly a transformer collector myself i disagree for the most part. KO's do not tend to lower the value of figures but Reissues do. A great majority of KOs do not match the quality and there are still collectors who refuse to have a KO. Look at something like Dai Atlas he has a KO version that goes for around 100 but that did not lower the originals cost which goes for quite a bit of money.

Just my opinion at least
Of course, many collectors are savvy and only want legit G1 or reissue figures. But others don't. Some will be completely content with a nice quality KO, because they either don't know any better or don't care. This doesn't have to constitute the bulk of vintage G1 collectors to affect market value of the figures. I've got a nice G1 Grimlock that I'm pretty sure is a KO (though I really don't know), and I don't have any interest in pursuing another one. I'm probably not alone in this situation.

And I agree that this Guardian Pred is a kick-ass figure. I do hope to get one.

Of course, many collectors are savvy and only want legit G1 or reissue figures. But others don't. Some will be completely content with a nice quality KO, because they either don't know any better or don't care. This doesn't have to constitute the bulk of vintage G1 collectors to affect market value of the figures. I've got a nice G1 Grimlock that I'm pretty sure is a KO (though I really don't know), and I don't have any interest in pursuing another one. I'm probably not alone in this situation.

And I agree that this Guardian Pred is a kick-ass figure. I do hope to get one.

I understand what your saying but does that really lower the value of the vintage figure? In my eyes no because there are still people looking for it and will pay that higher price. The KOs may slightly lower the demand but i do not see it lowering the value of the vintage figures. If you want to know if the Grimlock is a KO or not there are many resources on TFW2005.com that can help you figure it out.

July is going to be awesome!! because this figure is going to be on order, and the new predators movie is coming out in the same month. July is going to be the month of predator lol

The KOs may slightly lower the demand but i do not see it lowering the value of the vintage figures.
Decreased demand necessarily means a decreased value. That's one of the most basic principles of economics. As for Grimmy, I'm sure that I could figure it out, but I just don't care. I like my figure just fine, no matter where he comes from.

July is going to be awesome!! because this figure is going to be on order, and the new predators movie is coming out in the same month. July is going to be the month of predator lol

Agree plus its my birthday :D bring on july!

Decreased demand necessarily means a decreased value. That's one of the most basic principles of economics. As for Grimmy, I'm sure that I could figure it out, but I just don't care. I like my figure just fine, no matter where he comes from.

I mean yes the idea that decreased demand decreases value i get. Its just that from experience i have seen KO transformers come out and the vintage price has not gone down at all. I feel like there is a market for KOs that is outside of the vintage market. Like personally for me I don't mind if its a reissue or a vintage 80s figure but i do mind if its a KO and i do not think i am alone in that feeling. Ultimately it doesnt matter though i highly doubt KOs will destroy the value of the hot toys market.

Brody has been in more lead action/horror/scifi roles than Glover.

:slap

No. No he hasn't.

Predators
King Kong
Splice
The Jacket
Giallo

The 5 movies listed above are ALL the Action/Horror/Sci-Fi films Brody has been the Lead in.

Compare that to Danny Glover:

Predator 2
Lethal Weapon
Lethal Weapon 2
Lethal Weapon 3
Lethal Weapon 4
Saw
Age of the Dragons
Flight of the Intruder
Silverado
Switchback
Night Train

Not to mention, if you just wanna list Action/Horror/Sci-Fi films the two have been in, NOT just starring roles, Glover has STILL been in more. So I have no clue what you're talking about.

:hi5: hell yeah July is going to be the month of predator, hot mid summer (a predator's favorite time of the year) & it doesn't hurt to say my b-day is the week the movie comes out :yess: I can't wait

Back