Hot Toys – MMS178 - The Avengers: 1/6th scale Black Widow Limited Edition Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And bizarrely, i think the Headplay one looks more like her!

All the sculpts on eBay are the Hot Toys sculpt. There is no "head play" sculpt. We've discussed this to death in the SK thread. I have no idea where the sellers got the sculpt to photograph, nor how some of them shipped them within the past couple of weeks. They don't even look like recasts, they're that good. But the paint app on at least some of them is definitely not the same as the production figure.

I don't suppose there are any BW still available anywhere?

my BW, still loving taking pictures of her.

xnpm.jpg

Perfect. :hi5:

And I too, will be getting Catwoman. I was very pleased how she turned out after seeing all of the blogger photos. Especially after learning her mask comes off too. :clap

Cheers bud, glad you like it! :hi5:

Yeah, I'm really pleased with Selina, can't wait for her to start shipping.

Last edited:
All the sculpts on eBay are the Hot Toys sculpt. There is no "head play" sculpt. We've discussed this to death in the SK thread. I have no idea where the sellers got the sculpt to photograph, nor how some of them shipped them within the past couple of weeks. They don't even look like recasts, they're that good. But the paint app on at least some of them is definitely not the same as the production figure.

I don't suppose there are any BW still available anywhere?

I made sure to order four BW when they were released. I knew this one would sell out fast.

Also, apologies for not realising it was the same sculpt. I haven't been following the Selina Kyle thread.

I made sure to order four BW when they were released. I knew this one would sell out fast.

I've always liked the figure and I'm a Johansen fan, even though I'm not a big Avengers fan. I'm on the fence with this figure, mostly leaning toward not getting it because it wouldn't fit in with anything else I have and would be difficult to display without some changes around here. It did get me thinking a bit about alternative shelf layout and I may have come up with some changes that will help with some purported new Sideshow Star Wars releases. ;)

Also, apologies for not realising it was the same sculpt. I haven't been following the Selina Kyle thread.

Now there's brief discussion that it's not the same sculpt. But I think the most recent side-by-side uses two different angles and since these were out a few weeks ago, what I still think is they are is pre-release stuff that was taken from Hot Toys factory. Maybe someone stole/leaked a batch and they've been recast over the past few weeks. The hair is still essentially an exact copy.

I've always liked the figure and I'm a Johansen fan, even though I'm not a big Avengers fan. I'm on the fence with this figure, mostly leaning toward not getting it because it wouldn't fit in with anything else I have and would be difficult to display without some changes around here. It did get me thinking a bit about alternative shelf layout and I may have come up with some changes that will help with some purported new Sideshow Star Wars releases. ;)

Aha. Such as?
I tend to buy more than one of any figure where i have ides for customs using parts from it. In that way, i get the parts i need and can sell the rest if required to help finance the cost of the custom.
As it is, i have doubles of BW, Loki and Coulson from the Avengers lineup.
If they do slightly increase in value from the time i bought them, to the time i decide to do a custom, then all the better. Till then, Coulson, Loki and 2 BWs will be sitting in their sealed shipper boxes.

Now there's brief discussion that it's not the same sculpt. But I think the most recent side-by-side uses two different angles and since these were out a few weeks ago, what I still think is they are is pre-release stuff that was taken from Hot Toys factory. Maybe someone stole/leaked a batch and they've been recast over the past few weeks. The hair is still essentially an exact copy.

I have a theory that HT either sells moulding, or sells unpainted sculpts to other chinese companies. So many companies sell bootlegs of HT figures that HT would surely shut them down. Unless they were in on it to a degree.

I'd really recommend getting BW if you can, she's a fantastic figure.
The only other Avengers one I have is Loki, they're the only ones I want from the Avengers line. So she has someone from the same movie to keep her company. But even if I didn't have Loki, I'd still pick her up. Who wouldn't want a perfect scaled down Scarlett Johansson in their collection!?

I've seen the SK side by side pic and I think the final sculpt is slightly changed, the noses look different to me.

Aha. Such as?

Mainly exchanging where I had some cabinets and drawers on my IKEA Expedits to allow more shelf space for 1/6 sized figures. Then freeing up my tallest shelf at the top of one of the Expedits for a possible upcoming Tauntaun release which would never fit anywhere else in my office. That would balance very well with the Dewback on the opposite end of the wall on the mirror-image Expedit.

I tend to buy more than one of any figure where i have ides for customs using parts from it.

That and being able to unload what you don't need makes perfect sense. Another reason I'm so surprised when people are so quick to cancel pre-orders even when they're losing some money.

If they do slightly increase in value from the time i bought them

I think slightly is an understatement, specially with the specific figures you're talking about now. ;)

I have a theory that HT either sells

Also makes perfect sense to me. As pre-orders for SK were all sold out before the product's release, there's really no revenue lost for Hot Toys with such an arrangement. As they know people part out figures for customs anyway, this is an obvious market.

Sorry to be such a noobie but when you guys put in for hot toys preorders, where do you go to place them? Official site or independent online shop?

I'd really recommend getting BW if you can, she's a fantastic figure.

100% Agreed. I enjoyed her so much that I PO Selina Kyle immediately after getting my BW. Also, having owned IM2 BW, I have to say this one is a huge improvement over that one.

The only other Avengers one I have is Loki, they're the only ones I want from the Avengers line. So she has someone from the same movie to keep her company. But even if I didn't have Loki, I'd still pick her up. Who wouldn't want a perfect scaled down Scarlett Johansson in their collection!?

In my original plan, she was going to be the only Avenger I'm getting. However, the DVD did me in and I yearn for a round RT IM, so I PO the regular Mark VII kinda late in the game. So for me, she will enjoy the company of Mark VII (who strangely enough did not share a single line with her in the entire movie)

I've seen the SK side by side pic and I think the final sculpt is slightly changed, the noses look different to me.

I think I can accept the HS for Selina Kyle without her mask. However, the chances are I will have her with the mask on pretty much all time (as she did in the movie). She will be riding the Batpod as well. The only gripe I have is the white bodysuit underneath her black jumpsuit...WHY? what's that all about?

I think slightly is an understatement, specially with the specific figures you're talking about now. ;)

Yeah.
I *do* understand people cancelling, because if funds are tight, they might not be able to lay the money out and sit on the figure till prices rise.
But with something like Widow, i'd hate to have been left out when i wanted another one and prices had already risen.
I managed to get my hands on another Loki today too.
I've got plans for a Thor version.
I didn't hear the Taun Taun was coming out. I am a SW fan, but only of select figures.

Sorry to be such a noobie but when you guys put in for hot toys preorders, where do you go to place them? Official site or independent online shop?

Where are you at in the world? That can make a big difference who you'd be better ordering from.

Where are you at in the world? That can make a big difference who you'd be better ordering from.

I'm in the US. I see sideshow has some point system so I didn't know if that was a big incentive to use them or a different online shop

Big Bad Toy Store, Sideshow and probably at least a half dozen other online places, plus of course any local collectibles/comic-type store if you have them in your area and they carry this kind of thing. Everything in North America (at least) comes through Sideshow first as they're also the distributors. Places other than Sideshow offer discounts, Sideshow offers Exclusive versions. Sideshow's points are negated with the use of any promotional codes, but if you're having to pay full MSRP, it's better than nothing.

Back