Hot Toys: 1/4 Official Boba Fett Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing. I can't afford to collect these 1/4 scale figs but this gives me hope for the 1/6 Boba that will ultimately be made.

It's not a fair comparison to Fett and Batman. Fett's costume is one of the most complex in the Star Wars galaxy. To have the flight suit and flak vest w/ the armor attach to look so damn good is very impressive on HT's part. Hell, it looks better than SSC's 1:4 PF if I do say so myself. Not to mention the complex paint jobs on the helmet (ROTJ is more complex than the ESB's) and on the armor.

Batman's outfit is pretty standard and has a very simple black and gray paint job. Plus Fett comes with the far superior base.

and there in lies the problem. I love this stuff too damn much. It's plastic crack and there are thousands just like me who hate the prices but need their fix and HT/SS know that and for every one who takes a stand and says "no" another 5 take his place.

I don't recall a figure that people really wanted but refused to buy because of the price apart from the X-Wing Luke recently.

Also technically prices should be coming down. The price of a barrel of oil has halfed in the past six months, not that it will make any difference to the collectibles market.

This is flawed logic...name something else that has actually gone down in price recently? The reason Oil is coming down is because of OPEC, which is a Cartel and does whatever it wants and has decided it will be producing much more Oil for the time being. As much as I hate the idea of the prices going up on this stuff, there's no getting around it. Prices in general on consumer goods go up over time, not down. Additionally, Hot Toys is well aware of the Secondary Market for some of these pieces, which are easily double retail in a lot of cases and much more in other cases.

First half of your post makes sense, but you're overestimating the secondary market. I can't recall any recent figures doubling or more than doubling. That's the exception and definitely not the rule. Even with the exclusive, for example, no way will Mark XLIII be worth $680.00 this time next year. Prices are so high now for certain properties that I doubt the secondary market will pay much more for them than retail, unless it's low run and extremely coveted.

First half of your post makes sense, but you're overestimating the secondary market. I can't recall any recent figures doubling or more than doubling. That's the exception and definitely not the rule. Even with the exclusive, for example, no way will Mark XLIII be worth $680.00 this time next year. Prices are so high now for certain properties that I doubt the secondary market will pay much more for them than retail, unless it's low run and extremely coveted.

I did specify "some" pieces. I think that largely the secondary market has softened for figures that have come out in the last 12 months or so as supply appears to be meeting demand and then some in a couple cases. But a few examples of regular releases (not exclusive or special releases) that have doubled or more would be Avengers Loki (at least double), Avengers Hawkeye (at least double), Avengers Mark VII (particularly the Exclusive version almost double) and Nick Fury just to name a few. There are many more examples of special releases that have at least doubled (Avengers Mark VI, Battle Damaged Mark VII, and several other Iron Man figures, Lt Jim Gordon etc.)

My point though remains that even if the figure doesn't double in price, in many cases it does increase above original retail which Hot Toys watches intently as any company would to guage what the market is for these pieces. This is a specialized luxury industry with very specific tastes....the Rolls Royce of figure collectibles as someone in the industry has put it. Hence, Hot Toys will continue to tinker with prices (generally up) as the demand for the figures continue. Furthermore, I think Hot Toys knows how collectible the Star Wars license has always been and how long collectors of high-end collectibles have been waiting for them to produce figures and it looks like they are ready to take full advantage.

Having said all of this, I do think they are hitting a wall with some recent releases and have "overestimated" demand which is driving down prices for other pieces (Iron Patriot is a good example).

Going back to this Boba Fett, I'm uncertain what I'm going to do. The price-point is high to be sure, but not unexpected. I don't have any other 1:4 figures, only statues and I was planning to get the recent SS PF to represent Boba in my collection. After seeing this though, I'm not sure what to do as I can only afford to keep one as THE Boba Fett in my collection.

Last edited:
they're all toys and most would say we're all nuts for paying this kind of dough for an articulated or non-articulated children's character.

I ordered one; yes, I am excited and hate myself. Collecting is complicated

This almost perfectly describes a collector's mindset on this stuff. I find myself saying something similar to this far too often, LOL. .:goodpost:

Too much coming out at one time. I hope we do not see a crash in the market like I did back in the 80's with the videogame market. Sucks, I love DC, Marvel, and Star Wars, and BTTF. But even on my great monthly retirement income, I am almost saying uncle! I want Fett, but 1/6 releases is killing me. I have like 10 flex pays going and dropped Arkham Bats flex pay till I see finished product and those damn small hands and gauntlets are fixed plus a little weight watchers for bats also.

I always get entertained by when the price point is high people resort to calling these things "Dolls" haha.

But yes I am willing to pay this much for a Doll.

Its not a doll? Oh yes, action figure. I'm not offended by the term "doll". I have more Star Wars dolls than anything else collectibles wise. None of them cost as much as this Boba. I wish I could, but I think the PF will be better and IMO the Mythos is definitely better.

Yeah, the fact that I have the Mythos is letting me pass on the new PF and probably this one too.

Back