Hot Toys 1/6th scale BATMAN (Original Suit) Photo thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I need some help from my fellow freaks....

Long story short, I have an Original Costume TDK Batman with some superglue damage from glued on cape pegs:

I need to somehow smooth the cowl and properly attach the pegs (as seen here):
oc2l.jpg

Anyone have any ideas? I'm gutted over the damage on what is my favorite piece in my collection.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

to be honest you will not be able to fix it without removing the paint and then if you paint it, it would not be the same color. Good luck man.

Best thing I can think of is that you should do the cowl mod, cut around the edges, to make the neck a bit shorter, I think thrustmaster has done this, perhaps check with him?

I've always wanted to do that mod but haven't gathered the balls yet. Lol

Best thing I can think of is that you should do the cowl mod, cut around the edges, to make the neck a bit shorter, I think thrustmaster has done this, perhaps check with him?

I've always wanted to do that mod but haven't gathered the balls yet. Lol

Yeah I thought that same thing and actually contacted Thrust recently. I'm still waiting to see his instructional photos and see how high he actually cut. I figured I'd try to repair the damage before I cut anything...

^thanks Lance. I'm willing to commission someone to repaint it, I just don't know if the damage can be repaired...:gah::ohbfrank::crying

I have done the head cowl mod with cutting around it and it does help. The thing is the shape of the cowl is very unique. It is not circular it is very jagged. I actually just purchased a Bob Dullam cowl so once I get that I am going to mod my new one to match his cowl since it is about as close to getting a cast of the real thing.

^ wow, ok. Let me know how you make out...
I've got tons of source material from the films, so I think I could get close to the right shape, it's just a last resort at this point.

*after catching up with Thrustmaster and reviewing this screen cap, I'm starting to lean towards cutting...

Last edited:
I wish I had the balls to cut my cowl, it really does add a lot to the look. Sorry to hear about the glue damage :slap I went the electrical tape route. Slightly less accurate but also less permanent, and it still looks pretty good!

IMG_1936.jpg

But hey, you'll probably end up with a killer cowl after being forced to do the mod! :exactly:

Superglue remover? Yes. I've never used it but my students have. I don't know what it would do to the surface so a test might be in order.

I went the electrical tape route. Slightly less accurate but also less permanent, and it still looks pretty good!

Your's looks great MM.

Cut baby CUT! :lecture

Then post pics. :D

:lol yeah, I gotta get prepared mentally. :panic: :pray:
I will post though, don't worry. :wave

have you tried superglue remover?

No, but the problem isn't so much glue residue, as damage to the cowl itself. It's like the glue actually ate away at the surface. :horror Not to mention, I'm not sure what the remover would in turn do to the cowl. Thanks for the input though. :hi5:

have you tried superglue remover?

Superglue remover is essentially acetone - also known as nail polish remover. It will strip the paint, you may also find it corrodes the plastic further. There's the chance maybe a dilute solution could be used to smooth out the corrosion but it would be a tedious job with no guarantee of success and high chance of failure. In short, would not recommend!

Well, after a holiday out of town, I finally got to the surgery on my OC...:horror

I have to say, I'm very pleased. :yess::rock

After my hand stopped shaking :)lol) I cut away a little at a time, getting the feel for it. Then I did my best to shape it as close to the TDK OC costume cowl as I could referring to screen caps and photos. The pegs are now on with tape (and still need a bit of tweaking) but overall, I think the results speak for themselves.

I know this mod isn't for everyone, but with the damage I had, I didn't have that much of a choice. He can bend his head down a bit better now, however, extreme looking up poses are a no go. (Not that I really used those anyway.)

Thanks to Thrustmaster for his advice and input. :hi5:

Now onto stuffing that suit a bit...;)

Holy Sh@t that looks amazing!!! :google

Great job!!! Talk about taking lemons and making lemonade! You really improved this figure!!!! :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

Nice work Pennyworth, Bats looks fantastic! :rock If any more people do this mod, it may force me to grow a pair and take a shot at it.

that looks very good Pennyworth. I asked Thrust for some advice and how to but I never got a response from him. I don't know why but wish he would.

Did you cut the back of the cowl? I was wondering that cause that would totally ruin the back because the drop was pretty low. Can you give us a how to on it?

Back