Hot Toys 1992 Batman Returns 2.0

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His hair was thicker in ‘89 than Returns so the new HT sculpt would more accurately reflect the first film if you want a Bruce Wayne kit bash.

View attachment 727171

View attachment 727172

But seriously, this is one instance where I have to ask, do we really want movie accuracy? Look at his hair in this scene, do you want that on your shelf? Bless him, but his hair and hair texture isn’t ideal and by ‘92 it was thinned to oblivion making that hair texture impossible to accurately sculpt.
would be easy to replicate with rooted but id like thinner hair tbh, even if it isn't his "prime" look in 89

if anyone else is interested in the turtleneck sweater (bonus) and ballroom suit, I encourage to let topo know on IG because I am hell bent on the turtleneck, even if I have to pay for the ballroom suit. would prefer to have him in something that isn't in a tux since mars toys did the party scene look in 89

now if people are asking, topo did make a turtleneck suit for john wick but it isn't the same. the neck cut is a lot lower than john wick's

They just reused the broken cowl of the 1.0. That's why it doesn't fit this new sculpt as well
I thought so too but I’m now thinking it’s a new design. The tears are a bit different on this version. The full cowl and faceplates however, are definitely 1.0 reuse as of right now.

Yeah, the 1.0 ripped cowl was designed to conform to the contours of that original BW sculpt. Seems like the 2.0 head is a touch smaller.

1727054887115.png

94d41k.gif

tumblr_m8jg57A4vi1qa9jwno1_500.gif

Though I believe you can see the cape detach and falls away in the film.
Can somone explain the cape, shown still attached. Draped over the shoulder,
Yet under/behind the glider?
94cves.jpg

Batman-Returns-Hot-Toys-012.jpg

Last edited:
I'm guessing since the cape can't be removed the wings are simply an extra attachment rather than integrated like in the film. No doubt due to limits of the figure design.

Though I believe you can see the cape detach and falls away in the film.
94cves.jpg

The cape doesn’t detach and fall away; through movie magic, the cape becomes the glider. When he lands in the street it turns back into the drape cape.

Because this isn’t actually possible in reality, for the figure we get a drape cape and a separate ‘transformed’ glider cape :)

Though I believe the cape falls away in the film.
94cves.jpg

By "fall away" do you mean fall off? He still has the cape draped over the shoulder in the film with the wings. I don't know, the whole scene is ridiculous lol, like where did he even get this from. I thought it was just Burton trying to portray his normal cape having the capability to turn into glider wings, and this was the only way to do it with practical effects.

vlcsnap-2024-09-20-11h46m58s465.png

92d420a43886b1dae4124dad3a5e6f1f.jpg

Ok regardless what it does/doesn't do in the film.
Where is the cape on the pictured figure? Bunched between his back and the glider?

The cape did fall off once he gets on the ledge and opens the glider. You see it fly off of his shoulders and drop between his legs off of the “rooftop”.

IMG_4570.gif

Regarding the Hot Toys photos, it’s simple, the shot from the front has the cape draped over the back of the glider cape. The shot of the back of the glider cape has the drape cape tucked underneath.

The drape cape is separate and isn't used. I think the wings have its own fabric piece that goes under his cowl and over his shoulder and is attached to the top part of the wings.
This, yes. Sorry for the confusion, @Mondragon, the cape and glider are swap-out parts on the figure, because it’s not possible for one thing to be both in real life the way it is with movie magic. Its hung to the left in this image.

1727057130768.jpeg

I think the wings have its own fabric piece that goes under his cowl and over his shoulder and is attached to the top part of the wings.
"It's own fabric piece"? Might that actually be a faux fabric piece, actually with a solid sculpted piece made to look like the cape draped over the shoulder ?
And slots under the cowl around the neck pin, and that is what holds the glider to the figure.?

94d618.gif

94d67z.jpg

Seems like what is possibly the faux cape ends where the glider begins?

Regarding the Hot Toys photos, it’s simple, the shot from the front has the cape draped over the back of the glider cape. The shot of the back of the glider cape has the drape cape tucked underneath.
Then what holds the glider to the figure?
Could it not be as vspectra describes?
Yet actually with a sculpted piece that then the glider is attached too?

Last edited:
Thanks for those secret base photos.
Ok so it isn’t what I originally thought by looking at the promo photos.

The glider cape attaches underneath the cowl as it does with the wired drape cape.
I suppose that is how it was done in the film as you see the drape cape fall yet there’s still a soft fabric draped over his shoulders with the wingsuit expanded.

The way they achieved this was putting Keaton’s drape cape over the wing cape but not securing it under the cowl, allowing for it to fall off naturally.

So that bit of softgoods at his shoulders is how the wingsuit attaches to the body, secured in place by the cowl and neck peg.

Last edited:
Took the plunge and PO the deluxe. I have DX09 and ordered the Modern Suit. It only makes sense to PO this to complete my Keaton Batman collection. (Not a fan of the Returns 1.0 with the hard to describe Bruce Wayne head sculpt, this one with rolling eye balls is so much nicer)

Okay maybe the "actual" broken cowl isn't that tight. Just one of those inconsistent things where different things were used in-between shots I guess
1727067652931.png

Okay maybe the "actual" broken cowl isn't that tight. Just one of those inconsistent things where different things were used in-between shots I guess
Depends how his head is positioned, the main issues are it doesn’t cover his left ear enough, and his chin doesn’t sit outside of the cowl like it should.

But seriously, this is one instance where I have to ask, do we really want movie accuracy? Look at his hair in this scene, do you want that on your shelf? Bless him, but his hair and hair texture isn’t ideal and by ‘92 it was thinned to oblivion making that hair texture impossible to accurately sculpt.
Yeah, I don't want an idealised version of the character, so I’d prefer a different hairline—it’s not just about the thickness. However, after seeing the latest pictures, I think it’s actually better than the Mars Toys version. I might just have to get it for the head sculpt after all and then sell the rest.

Yeah, I don't want an idealised version of the character, so I’d prefer a different hairline—it’s not just about the thickness. However, after seeing the latest pictures, I think it’s actually better than the Mars Toys version. I might just have to get it for the head sculpt after all and then sell the rest.
I agree, the sculpted hair is being far too kind, though it’s even more generous on the Flash Keaton.

IMG_4574.jpeg

IMG_4573.jpeg

I don’t see anyone clamoring for accuracy there.

They’re stuck between a rock and a hard place here. An accurate Keaton hairline and thickness identical to the scene it’s based on would look really bad and throw off the likeness a ton.

His hairline is receding badly in that scene, and to make matters worse his hair texture is extremely fine and curly.

I believe they understood this and decided to take liberties allowing people to use the sculpt for more than the intended purpose. We’re not getting another Keaton Bruce Wayne sculpt for quite some time, so perhaps it’s best to have a flexible option.

I get that sculpting receding hairline can be challenging and often doesn't translate well onto figure format but there's a balance to be found and they took their liberties too far. Blitzway's hair appears much less idealised in comparison, which I prefer.

Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 09.10.07.pngScreenshot 2024-09-23 at 09.06.49.png

Back