Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really, two Deloreans? That's just stupid business and marketing.

Actually, making a product you can possibly sell each person more than one of, is very good business.(I fully appreciate that even one is a tough sell due to price, but there's a slim chance if you are a big enough fan of the franchise that you *must* have them all)

although it'd be nice to have ht include the extra parts for the part 2 holo-converted car in the part 1 release, i'd be okay if it was just the part 1. as cool as the mr. fusion and the flipping tyres are, display-wise i'd prefer to have it with wheels on the ground. i just want ht to include the lightning rod.

Actually, making a product you can possibly sell each person more than one of, is very good business.(I fully appreciate that even one is a tough sell due to price, but there's a slim chance if you are a big enough fan of the franchise that you *must* have them all)

But isn't there a risk that too many people cancel their orders for version 1 in expectation of version 2 that then never happens due to an assumed lack of interest?

But isn't there a risk that too many people cancel their orders for version 1 in expectation of version 2 that then never happens due to an assumed lack of interest?

There's always that risk. I suppose ideally they wanted to strike while the iron was hot by taking POs for the PT1 version.
There are always completists who want the full set and people who only want parts. People who only want Matry, or those who won't buy Marty till Doc is available, and those who will buy everything, regardless.

For me, there's only one way HT will get more money from me. BTTF DeLorean 1 comes fully detailed and lit inside and out and it is a done deal - it has been ordered. BTTF DeLorean 2 needs to be super detailed and lit on the exterior and under chassis, and eliminate the interior lighting except for 2 LEDs to softly illuminate the faces of the figures that could be inside the car (possibly with a switch). The exterior definitely needs the blue flux lighting under the perforated metal, lighting on the wheel wells and undercarriage, and possibly have the reactor lighted along with the 2 huge rear vent chambers. Since there would be basic interior only it should sell for $100 less than BTTF 1. BTTF 3 is interesting because there are actually 4 different time machines . There is a DeLorean with white walls and the wood box with the vacuum tubes on the hood. There is a second DeLorean that has railroad wheels instead of tires - everything else is the same. In the movie they never show the tubes lit, though Doc Brown mentions at one point that the vacuum tubes are warmed up, but it is not shown. So, I think these 2 DeLoreans could be combined with swappable wheels with a dust/dirt effect on the exterior and have it retail for, say, $250. Something more interesting (IMHO) in BTTF 3 that could be shown is the clock tower mechanism. It could be scaled to 1/6 scale and actually have a working clock mechanism. HT could do the clock, the figures, and the period clothing in Sepia tones to match the tintype photo in the movie. The 4th possibility, and something that has been very seldom modeled is Doc Brown's Steam Powered time machine locomotive and tender. It could be done in 1/6 scale for the length, but half the width (depicting the fireman's side of the loco). That way the model could be displayed on a shelf in railroad track mode or hung on a wall in flight mode with horizontal drivers and wing(s) extended. The wheels and wings could be manually adjusted for the correct display mode. The doors could open to display Emmett, Clara, Einstein and the boys. For me, the models have to really stand on their own and be significantly different to justify the cost of purchasing more than one time machine.

$250 for the BTTF III DeLorean? Never, ever, ever going to happen. Their normal figures are almost that much there's no way they would sell it for even double that. I guarantee if they make more than one DeLorean it will be the same price as the first if not more should they add extra bits like the full lighting package under the Part II car.

For me, there's only one way HT will get more money from me. <snippage>

I think it's possible that your fantasies about 1/6 scale vehicles retailing for 1/18th scale money will never come to fruition.
But, it's also possible that HT will be able to weather the nuclear winter of sales that result in them not satisfying you, lol.

I think it's possible that your fantasies about 1/6 scale vehicles retailing for 1/18th scale money will never come to fruition.
But, it's also possible that HT will be able to weather the nuclear winter of sales that result in them not satisfying you, lol.

:lol
Hilarious!

OK, I admit $250 may be a bit on the low side. It may be an apples to oranges comparison. The cost of the figures, which are created and produced by artisans (sculptors, painters, tailors) is justified because these are all highly skilled people building low volume figures- lots of hand work. The DeLorean 1 is at a premium price because you're paying for the design and engineering, the tooling and the setup of the assembly line - all big money up front. Hence the price of the first DeLorean. There might not be a DeLorean 2 if HT loses money on the DeLorean 1. But if it sells well, then DeLorean 2 makes sense, because the assembly line and tooling are paid for. Their costs are the few design changes with a little bit of tooling, but essentially you're just paying for materials and assembly. There might be some wiggle room to lower the price to increase sales. I would imagine that the people on the assembly line are not paid as much as the artisans. If it ever gets to a DeLorean 3, HT might be bored building DeLoreans, and might want to offer the clock or the train. Point of interest, anyone can go online and purchase a 1/18th scale Diamond Select DeLorean with lights and sound for $49-$59. I'm not advocating this, as the product is more toylike and not the quality of HT.

On hot toys page the details says it has 6 points of articulation.Im guessing 2 for doors 2 for front wheels (left to right) l, 1 for hood, and 1 for steering wheel. So that makes me think the wheels don't fold for a part 2 version

HT just might be gambling that there are enough hardcore fans who'll want both DeLoreans to go along with both Martys.

I'm worried that not all of this dude's head would travel through time. :lol

Back-to-the-Future-DeLorean.jpg

Point of interest, anyone can go online and purchase a 1/18th scale Diamond Select DeLorean with lights and sound for $49-$59. I'm not advocating this, as the product is more toylike and not the quality of HT.

Those are 1/15th scale. Sunstar did the diecast 1/18th line. Both good renditions really.

Seriously though, if you think HT would lower the price of the delorean because their cost may be less to produce the hover version then I dont think you know how HT, nay, how any business operates. You seem to think they owe us something? Why do fans and collecters always feel they are owed something. TBH companies only do things for the fans because there is money to be made. They know people will pay $600+ for an iconic car as this....twice and probably thrice. I for one stupidly will get both or all versions they churn out as im not only a huge BTTF fan but a delorean nut too (another market that many people forget about. The delorean community is very big so the BTTF delorean appeals to more than BTTF fans and 1/6th collectors). I totally expect HT to release a 3rd car most likely with changeable wheels. I too do hope it will have a dust coat to it to warrant a third release. The hover version has enough changes to it to justify having 2 cars whereas with the third, there isnt besides a lack of tires. I doubt they would expect people to spend $600+ for 2 deloreans just because one has tires and the other doesnt. Im sure there are some people out there that would but not enough to warrant selling 2 types of the part 3 delorean. Even I would choose one or the other in that scenario.

As for the train, will probably never happen especially not in 1/6th scale. If it were to be done, it will follow the same way as The Bat so it wouldnt be in scale with the deloreans. It does puzzle me why it hasnt appeared in 1/18th or 1/15th scale though as im sure it will sell. HT if they did go this route will peobably do a 1/6th version like the millennium falcon but we would never get to own it.

Oh and yes the hover delorean has the lights underneath. Im hoping eventually the wheels will have too (3min mark)

Im kinda getting tired of people still assuming the wheels are locked in hover mode so i will share this picture again to prove otherwise

25a885x.jpg

Just found this picture and im certain it will be 2 cars now. The hover version is missing the part where the lightning rod would go.

tumblr_ns23s7a6bS1usrlc3o1_1280.jpg

Also this picture confirms 2 seperate cars too. If you look at my previous post about the folding wheels issue you will see a lower underneath of silver and stuff. That stuff doesnt seem to be present on the part 1 delorean

ACG2014HD14_zps9b4aeb45.jpg~original.jpg

HT just might be gambling that there are enough hardcore fans who'll want both DeLoreans to go along with both Martys.

Its a gamble that will pay off. You have delorean fanatics and BTTF fans thrown into the mix, not to mention 1/6th collectors too. Maybe they are going for the posters which might explain why there is no Doc yet.... but that could also mean we get a Clara

Depending how big the boxes are to hold the Deloreans, I'll buy both versions. I just hope it's not another 5 foot box like the 1989 batmobile.

If you ever been to universal and saw this car in person, you would want this cause it's an awesome replica of the real-life car.

I just want to applaud HT on taking the huge risk of producing the BTTF DeLorean. After all, they are risking their money, not ours. As far as a second DeLorean, I just hope it gets produced, and there are enough visual differences between models to justify the cost of purchasing a 2nd DeLorean. I think it is a real good sign that last week everyone received an email saying shipping of the product was going to be bumped up to the December/January time frame. Kudos to HT management - it indicates the project is being run very well - with no production snags, which is great. Looking forward to receiving my DeLorean 1.

I'll be happy with my 1 delorean just wish it to be 2 in 1. I dont think many of the younger fans remember that we never thought we would see a sequel after 1st movie in 1985. Then after 4 years Bam! a wonderfull 2nd movie n then year later a 3rd that was a bit of incredible movie magic out of nowhere. I love time travel movies and after searching thru tons of time travel film's. Back to the future is the best one in my opion next to Terminator 1 & 2. I love the time machine , bill n teds excellent adventure n star trek 4 , star trek 1st contact and 12 monkeys n looper top the best time travel list along with project almanac. Sorry never got into to dr. who. Anyway the delorean is the coolest of all the time traveling machines besides the klingon war ship and will be super stoked to have in the collection. cant wait to throw a ton of figure's from past and future in for a ride for pics n fun to save the world ha ha. Anyway still preyin for a Doc. Brown.

Back