Hot Toys - Batman 1989 - Michael Keaton

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HT Batman 1989 Coming

I'll take a blood smeared Gotham Gazette. Oh yeah, and a Grissom desk diorama!

I never really took to the Dark Knight movies and I'm glad that Keaton and Nicholson are getting their moment.

1989 Batman is more of an ensemble piece. Burton took alot of care to create a unique look for Gotham City, gave alot of personality to even the minor characters (Bob the Goon, Knox, Lt. Eckhardt), and then there was Elfman's score. It worked better as a comic book film.

The Dark Knight movies are impressive character studies and up the ante on realism, but sometimes I wonder if the source material limits their impact. They really do push how far superhero movies can go, but they end up losing alot of the fun escapism that comic books represent for me.

But then, I'm old.

I really like the idea of the box having a black matte finish with gold foiled Batman logo in the centre. This is what i'd like to see.

Frank, I totally agree mate. As rightfully heralded as good films Nolan's Batman was, it doesn't hold up as a 'comic' book movie like Burton's does. He captured a real sense of fantasy that this story is about. The world was beautifully realised and unique unlike the generic city Nolan's is set in.
Shame Burton and keaton didn't finish the trilogy off although Schumacher did that but in a buried the franchise style.
Can't wait for the figures. Top of my list for 2011.

That kind of makes me wonder if we'll see these before Reeve.I certainly hope not,but I really would like to see something from HT and DC pretty soon.

I never really took to the Dark Knight movies and I'm glad that Keaton and Nicholson are getting their moment.

1989 Batman is more of an ensemble piece. Burton took alot of care to create a unique look for Gotham City, gave alot of personality to even the minor characters (Bob the Goon, Knox, Lt. Eckhardt), and then there was Elfman's score. It worked better as a comic book film.

The Dark Knight movies are impressive character studies and up the ante on realism, but sometimes I wonder if the source material limits their impact. They really do push how far superhero movies can go, but they end up losing alot of the fun escapism that comic books represent for me.

But then, I'm old.

I re-watched '89 Batman the other night after the figures were annouced as I hadn't seen it in ages, and I have to say I agree with you. Just the right mixture of serious and silly. I did enjoy Batman Begins, but I never really could get into TDK, it just took itself so damn seriously.

I don't think making a "DX" would really add a lot to either of these figures. Like people said, PERS wouldn't work so well, given the need for a seam and no good spot to hide it.

Beyond that, all you can really offer is a second outfit. I'd rather they just sell a second figure (like we got Bank Robber Joker), since most people would want to display both anyway. That way, we get the second Truetype too.

Given that a DX would be more expensive than a normal figure, I don't see what would be wrong with a normal MMS.

Yeah, I vote regular MMS.

I'm getting over PERS...

But then, I'm old.

You know its funny you should say that...it took me a long time to take to the new batman. for a while up until the second Dark knight movie, I thought the new batman did not hold a candle to our batman. I have since change my view. I do still appreciate the keaton batman even though ..I think the current is a fine representation. Again this is just my opinion and nothing more.

Frank, I totally agree mate. As rightfully heralded as good films Nolan's Batman was, it doesn't hold up as a 'comic' book movie like Burton's does. He captured a real sense of fantasy that this story is about. The world was beautifully realised and unique unlike the generic city Nolan's is set in.
Shame Burton and keaton didn't finish the trilogy off although Schumacher did that but in a buried the franchise style.
Can't wait for the figures. Top of my list for 2011.

Again I agree..but schumacher's version were what turned me off as a diehard batman fan. DK has since won my vote again.

Every time Batman 89 is discussed now it turns into some kind of TDk vs 89 debate. Like I said earlier in the thread, we can have both. As long as it's the mythos of batman it's all good as far as I'm concerned. I think the Dark Knight is a better movie, though not as fun. 89 has a lot of rewatch value.

Every time Batman 89 is discussed now it turns into some kind of TDk vs 89 debate. Like I said earlier in the thread, we can have both. As long as it's the mythos of batman it's all good as far as I'm concerned. I think the Dark Knight is a better movie, though not as fun. 89 has a lot of rewatch value.

No debate here..just my opinion..and as I have said I appreciate both !!
They are great movies in there time .

Is it totally unrealistic to hope for an '89 Batmobile out of this license?

It seems kind of chancey and high-ticket for a twenty-year old license, yet HT made the ED-209 work for Robocop, and I'm guessing they could sell at least as many of these as they can Iron Mongers. I'd also guess they could bring it in for about the same cost as they did the Tumbler, adjusted for inflation of course.

In any case, I certainly hope so. A 1:6 1989 Batmobile has been at the very top of my wish list once I was able to scratch Jabba the Hutt off of it....

no it's not. They've done other large items. Power loader. Terminator props. Look at the hype just the figures of Batman and Joker are already generating. I'm sure there are more than enough people willing to buy this if it has at least the audience of the tumbler.

Also, there has been some company that's been doing large sized prop replicas from 89 such as the spear gun, the cowl and the batwing, etc. and charging a ton of money for them pretty recently. I don't have pics on hand, but if they can sell them, I'm SURE hot toys can.

It seems kind of chancey and high-ticket for a twenty-year old license, yet HT made the ED-209 work for Robocop, and I'm guessing they could sell at least as many of these as they can Iron Mongers. I'd also guess they could bring it in for about the same cost as they did the Tumbler, adjusted for inflation of course.

In any case, I certainly hope so. A 1:6 1989 Batmobile has been at the very top of my wish list once I was able to scratch Jabba the Hutt off of it....

the 1989 Batmobile would be something I would love to add to my collection.

I don't know all the factors that go into HT deciding on large items like the Batmobile but from my sideline POV it seems like '89 would be much less complicated than the Tumbler and is arguably much more iconic. I would be all over it.

I'm surprised people haven't demanded the Batmobile on their facebook wall yet.

I noticed there was a photo album though. I'm sure Hot Toys has enough reference material, don't really see the point in more.

The concept of a gaudy Joker box is an interesting idea, because it suits the character. But Hot Toys are classy figures, so I wouldn't want to give up on a more classy design.

If Batman had just a black box with the golden Bat-logo, like the movie cover, then it would make sense for the Joker's box to be purple and have that Joker logo in the center (the concentric circles with the Joker face, worn as a patch on the coat by his henchmen).

I always liked the Takara Batman Begins box design - a closeup on Batman's chest armor. A similar design would look real nice for Keaton Batman - a closeup on the armor, from the belt up to just below the neck. In the same vein, though perhaps not as badass, you could do a closeup on the front of the Joker's outfit for his box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back