Hot Toys Iron Man Mark 1 re-release

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a double edge sword, imagine you missed this figure so you went on ebay and bought it for 200-300 over retail. These products are marketed as limited production collectibles. So people belived Ebay was their only option and the price was justifed. Now HT just changes their mind, so whatever.

The after-market value of these things doesn't appear to diminish so much. Collectors will still value an original MK III, or DX01 or Jack Sparrow or OC Bats or whatever other figures are subject to a variant or re-release. The re-release of Mk 1 might see the price of the original drop from $700+ to $500+, but really... big deal. A lot of collectors just don't like losing the hard-on they get from watching their shelf value go up and up.

Looking forward to the new RDJ sculpt. I still hope they make it an all inclusive version with the blacksmith gear and car battery. It has to be strong enough to power his heart for ten lifetimes.

Or something big for fifteen minutes.

I hope you won't be able to see tony inside this one. It will look better in a hall of armour that way.

It sounds like this will be a hall of armor version . . . meaning detachable armor that can be reassembled on a frame and hung up empty, like the upcoming Mk. 2 "Unleashed" autopsy suit from IM2.

HT better not start thinking about re-releasing most/all of the current IM figs or I'm gonna give up this hobby!

well_bye_2.jpg

Mind the door on your way out . . .:wave
______

I really don't understand this comment? That's like saying if Marvel reprint all of their old comics I'm gonna give up collecting comics

Unless the only reason people find this hobby desirable is the potential to make money. Maybe it's just me, but that seems like the wrong reason somehow

I'll be psyched if they make another Mark 1 because I wasn't into all this when it first came out, now I've read people on here comment on this situation as if to say the people who missed out first are somehow undeserving of certain figures. Why? Because we didn't have knowledge of something?

No, the people who aren't completely thrilled about this will most likely be unhappy that they no longer have a monopoly over others by owning certain figures

Isn't it enough that more people can enjoy these items than before and talk about them more on boards like these?

If people paid lots for the figure in the aftermarket because that's where they think they can get it only, then they have a right to be pissed since they assume HT will not make more. They are marketed as limited collectibles, so that's what you assume they are.

There are 2 sides to this story, those who are mad and those who are happy (well maybe 3 if you don't care) and both sides have the right to be what they are. If I'm mad about it, that's me and I don't need people telling me that I'm just mad because I "don't have a monopoly over others"; that's ridiculous.

If people paid lots for the figure in the aftermarket because that's where they think they can get it only, then they have a right to be pissed since they assume HT will not make more. They are marketed as limited collectibles, so that's what you assume they are.
But if you had followed Hot Toys' behavior in the past, you should not assume this. They re-release improved versions of figures all the time. Batman Begins--3 releases. Superman Returns--2 releases. Dark Knight Batman--2 releases (more coming). Ledger Joker--2 releases (more coming). Mark III Iron Man--2 releases (more probably coming). Jack Sparrow--2 releases (and 2 of the Cannibal Jack). Mark II Iron Man--2 releases (announced way on back). Etc.

I'm all for HT making another Mark 1, but I also don't think of it as a "re-release", I think of it as "another" Mark 1. I don't think anything will really change about the status of first Mark 1, it will still be a limited collectible that a few lucky people will own. I own the Mark II and HT made another Mark II, I don't look at it as the same figure. I welcome anything that makes this hobby and my collection better, bring it on Hot Toys...plus make me another Wolverine.

But if you had followed Hot Toys' behavior in the past, you should not assume this. They re-release improved versions of figures all the time. Batman Begins--3 releases. Superman Returns--2 releases. Dark Knight Batman--2 releases (more coming). Ledger Joker--2 releases (more coming). Mark III Iron Man--2 releases (more probably coming). Jack Sparrow--2 releases (and 2 of the Cannibal Jack). Mark II Iron Man--2 releases (announced way on back). Etc.

I'm still a noob when it comes to these figures and HT, but from what I've seen, Mark III was 2 different versions; regular and battle damaged. I'm not sure about the others since I don't really collect them.

Gonna happen. I would rank it as just below another Batman as most likely unannounced HT updates/re-releases (though I figure Wolverine will be wearing a different outfit from a different movie).

Hot Toys already said that they will be re-releasing this figure because of all the knock offs in the secondary market. :lecture

People who paid above and beyond retail for their dolly might have a right to be pissed, but they're still being whiny, snot-bubbling sooky la-lahs in demanding HT stop putting out re-releases and variants. If they really care about it they can sell the figure on now before it drops marginally once the re-release is out.

Besides, the original mark 1 will always be limited to what the initial production run was. This mark 1 will be a different release. Limited status secure.

I'm not gonna lie. I like it when I have something 1/6 collector's consider a sort of "grail."

But these re-relases don't bother me as long as they improve... and these newer figures will become just as sought after in time anyways.

I don't know if the whole topic of re-releases would benefit from its own thread, but whilst we're on the subject, would the potential of a re-release down the line start to diminish the scalper market? Those who purposely buy in bulk to sell much later? Or would it have little to no impact do you think?

Hot Toys already said that they will be re-releasing this figure because of all the knock offs in the secondary market. :lecture

The same reason that bothers me. If that's the case, then why they didn't announced to re-release Wolvie in the 1st place? :cuckoo:

i think you can count on another wolverine figure once the new movie comes out. they can definitely improve on the likeness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back