Hot Toys - MMS 191 - Iron Man 3 - Tony Stark Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this looks a great deal like Stark, that is just me.

I truly dont see how anyone can compare this to the Jones sculpt, but this sculpt will be revised anyways - so I'd save the hate for the final sculpt.

Okay, it's not that the RDJ sculpt is at the same level as Indy (although it does have some flaws of it's own), it's that there is a possible parallel that makes me uncomfortable. When early proto pics of Indy appeared, my reaction was "Wow, that's way off, but it's an early prototype, they'll fix it. No way they'll drop the ball on Indiana Jones!" The next year was hell - for proof, dig through the HT Indiana Jones thread. It's kinda like the discussion here, a surprising number of people were complacent and thought the sculpt was good enough, while the rest of us prayed for a CR Supes-style overhaul. As the Summer cons came and went and the same Indy sculpt kept surfacing, hope waned and crazy stories of multiple head sculpts cropped up. "Wait, the release has been pushed back, surely they're fixing the sculpt!" then the release and the ugly truth was revealed, so to speak. And fans who wanted this thing to be good still defended it. It was like people could not admit that HT would release a crappy, unmodified sculpt. By some accounts, it was obviously the misperception of whiny, spoiled, entitled collectors (who had just shelled out $250) who could not appreciate this sculpt. "Hey it's 85% of the way there, best Indy ever released." Then there was a flood of people repainting this thing, trying to bring out the hidden beauty of the sculpt, because surely it must be the guy-liner that's at fault. Nope, still crap.

So while some don't get the hyperbole of saying something is "the worst sculpt ever", I present the cautionary tale of accepting something with obvious flaws and saying "It'll be fixed, surely HT won't let a sub-par sculpt go to market. Just ask Angelica."

Review-Hot-Toys-POTC-Angelica-21_zpse1fa3742.jpg

I'm gonna buy all of the tonys' and make it super expensive just to screw with the people who bashes the figure now and regrets when it's released.

Well, based on the prices at XL-shop.com, it should be @ $260-$280. If you compare all the prices they have to figures that SS has already put up for PO and realease, its between $10-30 more through sideshow than on their site. And they have the new stark listed for $251.

I guess $277 inclusive of shipping to my place is not that bad :D

headsculpt aside, no one seems to be talking about all the stuff he comes with. The robot, the lightup stand, the work desk, armors, advanced body, etc ....pretty awesome!!!

Because it's boring to talk about stuff everyone agrees in. :nana: :lol

But yeah, the accessories are nice! Dummy is a big selling point for me.
Always wanted one ever since I saw it in the Mech Test set.

this proto looks close enough to RDJ from iron man 3.

it doesnt look like RDJ from IM1, IM2 or AVENGERS, which is everybody's frame of reference, i believe.

headsculpt aside, no one seems to be talking about all the stuff he comes with. The robot, the lightup stand, the work desk, armors, advanced body, etc ....pretty awesome!!!

and this too me looks a ton like RDJ :) Even though its just a prototype, this shot really captures his likeness to me and is very life-like.
430142_10151218809037344_1043672930_n.jpg

Looks like a cross between RDJ and Mark Wahlberg. :lol

Exactly. For the ridiculous price we pay for these, the likenesses should be much better than some of them are.

I agree. Also, it's not hate, it's frustration.

That does not answer my question: why would the price not be comparable? :huh

The amount of plastic used, I guess. Plus the engineering around the boots to make them fit over the figure's trousers is also something to consider. One day, HT ought to change to aloe vera based plastics. Cheaper and it's bio-degradable.

Yup, and I also pulled the chin up a bit. You're right, HT's seems to be too long though it may just be lens distortion. Whichever's the case, the prototype's eyes are too small.

How about a little game?

Tony_zpsfce07d53.jpg

That eye size looks about right. And yeah, judging from that perspective, HT made the chin area too long. Print your version, travel over to the designer and beat him with the print out until he adjusts the headsculpt.

HT Japan says Aug 2013. So it's safe to say we'll see this in Q4. :lol

Come to think of it, we still have a dozen unreleased MMS items before this one,
with the first ones being released in March.

HT Japan says Aug 2013. So it's safe to say we'll see this in Q4. :lol

Come to think of it, we still have a dozen unreleased MMS items before this one,
with the first ones being released in March.

Hold on. Does it say 34.000 Yen on the Hot Toys Japan website? Because if it does... that would be about 375$ which means I'd have to pay about 375€, which would be about 500$. ****...

Enlarged/swapped the eyes. Personally, i think those images show the HT sculpt has made the head to tall/long. Looks like Downey's skull is a little more round with a less promenant chin.

Made some adjustments based on your observation:
Tony2_zps49769f3d.jpg

Just for fun, guys, if you don't see which one's better, more power to you.

Hold on. Does it say 34.000 Yen on the Hot Toys Japan website? Because if it does... that would be about 375$ which means I'd have to pay about 375€, which would be about 500$. ****...

Let's just hope that price doesn't apply outside of Japan. That price is a bit steep. Though the accessories do make up for that price, but still...

Tony2_zps49769f3d.jpg

Let's just hope that price doesn't apply outside of Japan. That price is a bit steep. Though the accessories do make up for that price, but still...

That does look better, i still like the sculpt anyway so no biggy for me

Tony2_zps49769f3d.jpg

Yeah. There's always hope :S

Aaaanyway. Better not to dwell on such horrid thoughts. Those changes you made make the headsculpt look pretty much 100% spot on. Now how to make Hot Toys change the HS according to that pic...

Back