Hot Toys MMS 692 + 693 BATMAN (1989) 1/6 scale Batman 2.0

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Finwee also Don Fung/Threestep? I thought Threestep did that sculpt?
Don did that sculpt yes, I believe Dev was referring to the one Fin is doing. Different people, Fin is one of us younger guys who’ve been around for a while in the custom forum, US based.

IMG_3457.png

Oh, I thought he meant the hard sculpt, not the render. Yeah, I've heard about Finwee for a long time.
I can’t wait to see an actual prototype sculpt of this painted! But first, hair needs a bit of refinement with some more texture throughout the skin.

If he delivers on an incredible Nicholson likeness I gotta get the hatless version as the likelihood of someone else really trying to nail it this far in seems unlikely.

Happy to see some Nicholson love.

Don's sculpt looks great for that green-shirt Joker in Vicki's apartment. He's got so many more faces than Ledger -- Nicholson Joker faces could be endless.

I'm torn on what to do. Part of me wants to cancel my pre-order. Part of me wants to keep it JUST to ensure I have the Gargoyle base. And in the back of my mind, I'm not sure I can justify $400 for a display piece that I don't even have the ideal piece to display it WITH (meaning DX08; I only have the Mars knock-off). The more reviews I see on YouTube of this 2.0, (especially the direct comparison to DX09 ones), the more I hate it.

I am a HUGE Burton Batman fan. It's my favorite live-action iteration of the character and always will be. I'm a 90s kid, so the Burton-Schumacher era + BTAS is my childhood. When Hot Toys first released all of these figures, I was absolutely NOT in a stage in my life when I could afford spending upwards of $300 on a figure. I was a broke 20 year old. Needless to say, these and the later Returns figure were all grail pieces that I looked at and longed for. So, now, when I actually can afford this crap, I was elated to see re-releases and not having to chase them down and pay after-market pieces that are now double what MSRP was in 2012. I should LOVE this figure. I hopped on the pre-order as soon as I was able. And now... I just look at it and frown. It honestly has me scared to even invest in pre-ordering their Returns 2.0 for fear they botch it, too.

As far as not re-licensing Jack, if Hot Toys are still operating under a 2012 mind-set in 2024, I don't know what to say about that. The market was not there for Burton-Schumacher stuff because Nolan was the only word among the 30+ nerd crowd that could actually vote with their wallets. Now, things are different, the playing-field has leveled a bit, and McFarlane and Mars are showing how much interest there is in Schumacher--let alone Burton. NOW would be the time to capitalize on Millennial nostalgia. This would be the time for Hot Toys to throw down the gauntlet. Funko just released an entire line of 89 35th anniversary figures. There is STILL so much love for this film. But, again, if Hot Toys DID do a 2.0 Nicholson, what's to say they wouldn't botch it, too? :(

Never understood why 89 never got the attention of custom artists like all of the other Batmen since. I’m all for it.

Imagine a Nicholson
Joker sculpt on this level -

View attachment 719679
i guess maybe its true it isnt popualr in china. that's where the whole custom market exists to begin with. if the Chinese don't love it, they aren't making it

i guess maybe its true it isnt popualr in china. that's where the whole custom market exists to begin with. if the Chinese don't love it, they aren't making it
But American pop culture has a big influence over there, has for decades despite efforts to cut it out. Hard to love Hollywood film and not Jack.

What’s it gonna take for Mille Studios to produce a quality Jack Nicholson Joker sculpt and Michael Keaton 1989 cowl sculpt?

No clue why they made him huge, even in the suit Keaton is much smaller than Nicholson, this, the DX09 got much better, he just had a thin frame.

IMG_3498.jpeg

They had access to plenty of reference to get this correct, shouldn’t be any excuses as to why you couldn’t execute.

IMG_3489.jpeg

IMG_3495.jpeg

IMG_3486.jpeg

IMG_3487.png

IMG_3523.jpeg

IMG_3524.jpeg

IMG_3499.jpeg

IMG_3464.jpeg

IMG_3466.jpeg

IMG_3463.jpeg

IMG_3481.jpeg

People over there were also discussing on forums like this, overall, they agree that it was a poor release, also stating that the 89 batches were very low in orders. So, guess not a lot people brought/preordered 89 Bats overseas.

Also many of them were saying that they'd wait for the Flash version instead of buying this one, cause the Flash version Bats has a BW headsculpt.

People over there were also discussing on forums like this, overall, they agree that it was a poor release, also stating that the 89 batches were very low in orders. So, guess not a lot people brought/preordered 89 Bats overseas.

Also many of them were saying that they'd wait for the Flash version instead of buying this one, cause the Flash version Bats has a BW headsculpt.
Yeah those can wait for Batman Returns Bats assuming we get a BW sculpt.

That explains the lack of photos and custom projects ramping up. Thanks for the insight, read somewhere about a low batch as well but didn’t have confirmation.

This pretty much confirms this 2.0 won’t have much competition for a while. I was looking forward to it, I actually prefer the suit in 1989 over Returns.

The thing is, even the 2.0 89 bats resell was a disaster for many collectors who bought it in China. Many were selling it brand new and below the initial price point, but still many people didn't bother to even buy them. Of course, there are still 89 Batman fans overseas, but compare to the later iterations, very few in numbers.

Every DC fan that I've known overseas, are only crazy for two specific Bat: Bale Batman and Affleck Batman. Especially Affleck Batman, fans go nuts for him. And thats why inart is only making Bale and Affleck.

Back