Hot Toys - MMS DX 11 - TDK: The Joker 2.0 Collectible Figure specs and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yulli herself said she had limited resources for the first sculpt and improved on the br sculpt after seeing the film, but some people would rather believe there's some bizarre conspiracy at hot toys.

whatever.

What is your point exactly? You seemed to be saying that HT releases inferior product first (V1), so that they make the extra profit from early-adopters who feel the need to "upgrade" when something better comes along (BR). But that whole argument falls apart when you say that they released an inferior headsculpt with DX01. Why would they purposely step backwards?

Also, isn't it entirely possible that while there was some overlap in the production, the V1 was already too far along in production to make much cost sense to destroy all of the completed inferior heads and replace them with BR heads? The release date of the movie in Asia is irrelevant, if Yulli says she saw the movie when she did, she did. How do you know how long it takes her to finish a sculpt...or even how long it takes HT to take one of her prototype sculpts to mass production? Maybe it's not the same for every figure. V1 could have taken a year to develop, and BR a few months...then with some overlap in production time, it's reasonable that they get released not that far apart. It's not like they wait until one figure is completely shipped before they start on the next one.

My point is, I think Hot Toys had the capabilities (and references) and could have easily released the Bank Robber head as the V1. That and it's machine gun or something.

It was a response to these two things.

It's astonishing how off yullis first attempt at joker was. I'm aware that proper reference pics weren't available to her when she sculpted it...but there were plenty of photos of ledger in and out of character. It's like you'd think she sculpted the first joker based on memory alone.

i seem to recall seeing it in an interview with her. she said all she had to work with were some not very clear early promo pictures. don't know what they were, though. for all we know, they could have been as bad this:

Look at that V1. It doesn't even have accurate scars despite having this 2007 pic? That kind of shoots down any idea that they were working on it a year in advance, doesn't it?

jokerrevealedbig.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

That's pretty bad, even in 2008 standards. Everyone, including myself, thought it then too.

That's my point. They did have the reference. The clothing, weapons and headsculpt. While I can't back it up, I personally think the Bank Robber was in the works with the V1. They knew what they were doing and opted to put out a shoddy V1. They're not far apart in spec/pics release at all. True, there's no evidence that they were close in actual production, but I'm going by their record of announcements, spec/pics and when they get their stuff out there, along with other companies go time. Plus, how about all those last minute tweaks they sometimes do or the final product looking better than the proto (in the V1s case, the final head looked horrid)?

Anyway, it's not like after July, the Joker just emerged for everyone to see for the first time, it was all there for months and months and months. Two trailers even and the internet full of great reference. That's my point.

DCD did a better job (they had a scan), the 4 Horsemen's Movie Master did a better job, even Medicom did a better job. I still remember all the discussions, "man, the Hot Toys one is perfect, but I dunno about the muppet sculpt". The V1 head is just a bad, bad sculpt. I think it literally had a display life of, what, a month, two months tops?

Compare it to their OC Batman, which was literally revealed at the same time. Yes, it was just the Begins suit but the prototype revealed was poor, but look, by the time the actual product hit, they revealed a brand new headsculpt with a mouth that looked just like Bale's.

Also, who knew that he had a pneumatic mangler? Hardly anyone. Everyone wondered what it exactly was. Some people didn't even think that was actually Batman.

They must have had reference though right? Of course they did,

dark_knight_batman2.jpg

When was that pic released? With a bunch of great Ledger Joker pics that were new at the time.

But, the point is moot anyway. We're talking about the same crap we discussed years ago. YEARS ago. What happened, happened. My only point, is, again, I think Hot Toys', Yulli, everyone who developed it were capable of much more at the time. Not just references, not just sculpt, but accessories too. Look at those prototype clothes, other than red lining on the jacket, they're pretty good. Final product was nothing like that. The Bank Robber Joker? Other than paint, the final product was pretty damn close. I just don't buy that they magically got better in 2 or 3 months, maybe even less than that.

There are no conspiracy theory, its as simple as they they don't have enough material to go by other than references of what ledger would look like.
With Nolan not trusting even his own actors to keep scripts and very secretive yet he'll trust hot toys to not show pics of ledger? :dunno

It's not hard to imagine specially since hot toys are not in the same stage they are now than they were 5 years ago that they wanting to make sure they have a figure when the movie gets released so it can be more profitable.
You can even respect yulli in her honesty when she was asked years go if she has any sculpt she regrets and she said it was the first joker cause of not having real source material at the time.

Im not buying this speculation of hot toys intentionally releasing inferior so they can make more money on rereleases. The main reason hot toys are rereleasing a lot of their figures is to get most of that pie back on secondary market cause they're not getting any cent when flippers sell a sold out figure like the OC bats for $500-700.
Its not like hot toys are the 1/6 giant they are now 5 years ago so they KNOW if we release this figure, they'll buy more when we release the other figure.

Quite simply, they released a very bad inferior product, and needing to be in competition with other developers, they quickly pumped out the other version to overshadow their inferior product.

its as simple as they they don't have enough material to go by other than references of what ledger would look like.
With Nolan not trusting even his own actors to keep scripts and very secretive yet he'll trust hot toys to not show pics of ledger? :dunno

And yet, all those photos above were available to everyone before the V1 Joker even seemed to have existed.

Hmm.

What's Nolan got to do with this? That's the second time I've seen it brought up. It's not like Hot Toys' only uses references that are given to them by Warner Bros. We've seen their backstage production pics where they have google up or a video up on their monitor. All the sources that we have.

Screen-shot-2012-01-12-at-11.52.40-PM.png

And this isn't calling Yulli a "liar" or any of that. I just don't buy that that was the best they could put out at the time. That's all that was brought up, and that's all I've commented on. In that same interview, she also said this,

"With the many different renditions available, how do you decide on the most appropriate look when designing a character?"

"I’ll leave this question to Hot Toys, because this is not my personal decision."

What do ya know. She might have very well had a perfect sculpt, but remember, she doesn't dictate what happens, that's Hot Toys. They're in charge of what's made and what isn't. They have other painters, photographers, etc. That's who she answers to. Hot Toys is the one that plans this stuff. I don't think they were a naive little company back in 2008. They knew what they were doing with V1 and Bank Robber.

What was Hot Toys going to say in May of 2008 or whatever? "This is our Joker headsculpt, but we can, no, we will do better". It is just speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if in reality, that sucker (the Bank Robber head) was developed for it. There's no way that the V1 was the best they could do. Not when they had that Bruce Wayne headsculpt (which Yulli also did that was good for it's time), or other companies like Mattel or DCD putting out superior Joker head sculpts. Hell, that 1/4 bust that was released at the same time was better than the V1.

Yulli said she used Ledger as reference. Does anyone see Ledger in that V1 sculpt? Nope. Not even close. The prosthetic scarring that even Mattel got right? It's not even on there. The paint? All wrong. I'm pretty sure Heath Ledger and those scar prosthetics were shown way before the film. Not to mention, again, all those pics above that were shown before anyone even had "Hot Toys Batman" in their minds.

And yet, all those photos above were available to everyone before the V1 Joker even seemed to have existed.

Hmm.

What's Nolan got to do with this? That's the second time I've seen it brought up. It's not like Hot Toys' only uses references that are given to them by Warner Bros. We've seen their backstage production pics where they have google up or a video up on their monitor. All the sources that we have.

Screen-shot-2012-01-12-at-11.52.40-PM.png

And this isn't calling Yulli a "liar" or any of that. I just don't buy that that was the best they could put out at the time. That's all that was brought up, and that's all I've commented on. In that same interview, she also said this,

"With the many different renditions available, how do you decide on the most appropriate look when designing a character?"

"I’ll leave this question to Hot Toys, because this is not my personal decision."

What do ya know. She might have very well had a perfect sculpt, but remember, she doesn't dictate what happens, that's Hot Toys. They're in charge of what's made and what isn't. They have other painters, photographers, etc. That's who she answers to. Hot Toys is the one that plans this stuff. I don't think they were a naive little company back in 2008. They knew what they were doing with V1 and Bank Robber.

What was Hot Toys going to say in May of 2008 or whatever? "This is our Joker headsculpt, but we can, no, we will do better". It is just speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if in reality, that sucker (the Bank Robber head) was developed for it. There's no way that the V1 was the best they could do. Not when they had that Bruce Wayne headsculpt (which Yulli also did that was good for it's time), or other companies like Mattel or DCD putting out superior Joker head sculpts. Hell, that 1/4 bust that was released at the same time was better than the V1.

Yulli said she used Ledger as reference. Does anyone see Ledger in that V1 sculpt? Nope. Not even close. The prosthetic scarring that even Mattel got right? It's not even on there. The paint? All wrong. I'm pretty sure Heath Ledger and those scar prosthetics were shown way before the film. Not to mention, again, all those pics above that were shown before anyone even had "Hot Toys Batman" in their minds.

So basically you're saying she didn't start production until the pic was leaked? That's exactly the point, production was already started most likely at that point.
That what were saying, she didn't have that when production was being made, she probably just have sketches of what the joker will look like.

The reason Nolan is mentioned because in many interviews with actors, they have mentioned Nolan won't even let them keep the scripts. They have to read them in a room and give it back when they're done cause Nolan doesn't even trust them case he is extremely secretive.
So it's not hard to imagine yulli not having a true source material when v1 was in production and why there's a big difference with v1 and bank robber cause on BR, she does now have better references.

And that pic of yulli sculpting with 89 joker is pointless unless you have a pic if her of her sculpting with v1 joker with references. That's exactly the point why bank robber joker is better, she has references like that with the bank tobber and not with v1.

Also, on the interview that i read years ago on why she regrets her previous joker sculpt, she mentioned her mistake of sculpting the joker himself instead of sculpting the actor first, then tweaking it to look like the joker.
So that's why she wanted another crack with ledger joker, she didn't initially sculpt him, she sculpted the joker.

Hey guys. If y'all want to get your 2.0 for a good deal, go to Amiami.com. They still got some in stock and I've ordered from them before a few times and they are a legit site and ship super quick if u choose EMS method. Your figure will be at your doorstep in 2 days. Literally. He cost $265 plus and with shipping, close to $300. And they give u 7 days to pay. U don't have to pay right away. But here's the catch. Paypal only on HT stuff mainly. I just ordered mine, and they'll give me the total by tomorrow. Can't wait!!!!:yess:

Hey guys. If y'all want to get your 2.0 for a good deal, go to Amiami.com. They still got some in stock and I've ordered from them before a few times and they are a legit site and ship super quick if u choose EMS method. Your figure will be at your doorstep in 2 days. Literally. He cost $265 plus and with shipping, close to $300. And they give u 7 days to pay. U don't have to pay right away. But here's the catch. Paypal only on HT stuff mainly. I just ordered mine, and they'll give me the total by tomorrow. Can't wait!!!!:yess:

Hmm really...? Can anyone else vouch for this site? The difference for me is $20 more.

I have a quick questions guys, I have 2 more flex payments, one on March 15th, and the last on April 15th. I've asked if I could pay the rest right now, and they told me they couldn't charge me until the item is in the warehouse and ready to ship, and I asked if I was going to be notified if the item is in and they sent the exact same email back to me saying they can't charge me until the item is in the warehouse ready to ship. Does that mean I won't be able to ship in my Joker until I pay it at the end date April 15th? I ordered the figure on January 15th, and it is the exclusive version, anyone with experience with flexpay able to help me out? Sorry in advance if this question has already been asked.

I thought that they would charge the march 15th one but then you would still have to wait until april 15th or until they had it in the warehouse. Sometimes they send you an e-mail and give you an option to pay it off early.

I thought that they would charge the march 15th one but then you would still have to wait until april 15th or until they had it in the warehouse. Sometimes they send you an e-mail and give you an option to pay it off early.

At this point i'm just afraid that they aren't going to notify me that my shipment is waiting on me to pay it off, and I end up having to wait until April 15th. I'm really hoping they send me and email giving me that option, I haven't seen a single email regarding my order since the day I put down the order.

At this point i'm just afraid that they aren't going to notify me that my shipment is waiting on me to pay it off, and I end up having to wait until April 15th. I'm really hoping they send me and email giving me that option, I haven't seen a single email regarding my order since the day I put down the order.

If it comes into the warehouse before April 15th you'll have the option to pay it off.

Well I was allowed to pay my bat-pod off early. However, I can't confirm that ssc operates this way, but since you ordered in january it could be that you're going to be waiting on a separate shipment and the ones that are coming in May are for earlier customers and already accounted for. I can barely remember but I didn't flex my dx12 and I got that in ssc second shipment around thanksgiving. But I put the order in November so they got to me really quick

Edit: I ordered Nov 8 and got it a week before thanksgiving.

Well I was allowed to pay my bat-pod off early. However, I can't confirm that ssc operates this way, but since you ordered in january it could be that you're going to be waiting on a separate shipment and the ones that are coming in May are for earlier customers and already accounted for. I can barely remember but I didn't flex my dx12 and I got that in ssc second shipment around thanksgiving. But I put the order in November so they got to me really quick

Mmmm that would be a bummer :impatient:

Back