Hot Toys MMS DX; your thoughts?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All they really have to do to make the eyes work simultaneously, is add a couple of balls to the end of the pins and have a plate joining the two balls together. Keeping the plate in a uniform position would be the hard bit.

Something like this.

adg2n4.jpg

Anyone else think this may be a good way to complete the Warlords figures? When the first figures were released, they had a prototype of Jet Li's character, but since he had his likeness contracted to Enterbay, Hot Toys didn't get to release his character. It's been over a year now, if Hot Toys could get his likeness, they could release the figure and maybe add more accessories and another outfit to make it a DX release. I for one would love to finally have all three characters from the movie, but it may be too far removed in time for much interest. Would anyone else like this if it happened?

People are complaining about having to buy the Joker again. Here is my point: It seems that we all (myself included) have become a little too obsessed with the figures being 100% screen accurate or perfect head sculpts. Hot Toys is just taking advantage of a market that we created.

I love my version 1 Joker and I was going to buy the Bank Robber head for it, but I took step back. It's not perfect, but it's damn good figure.

The same can be said for Sideshows Indiana Jones.

Maybe it's time to take a step back for all of us. Why does it have to be completely screen accurate? It's a figure that represents something we enjoy. Heath Ledger as the Joker was unbelievable. His work won't be soon forgotten. Will the V1 Joker really diminish that work? Not really.

Just a thought I had. Decided to share.

I'm not judging anyone. Do what makes you happy and don't worry what anyone else thinks.

People are complaining about having to buy the Joker again. Here is my point: It seems that we all (myself included) have become a little too obsessed with the figures being 100% screen accurate or perfect head sculpts. Hot Toys is just taking advantage of a market that we created.

I love my version 1 Joker and I was going to buy the Bank Robber head for it, but I took step back. It's not perfect, but it's damn good figure.

The same can be said for Sideshows Indiana Jones.

Maybe it's time to take a step back for all of us. Why does it have to be completely screen accurate? It's a figure that represents something we enjoy. Heath Ledger as the Joker was unbelievable. His work won't be soon forgotten. Will the V1 Joker really diminish that work? Not really.

Just a thought I had. Decided to share.

I'm not judging anyone. Do what makes you happy and don't worry what anyone else thinks.

I understand what you are saying. I started this hobby about a year and half ago. The screen accuracy of the figs today far surpass the older versions of say Rambo or Batman Begins (only ones I have to compare). Rambo III is a solid representation of Sly but the others not so much.

Maybe they had similar chats like this on older figs which caused HT to step up their game or perhaps it is just the evolution of the hobby. Either way I am enjoying being in the game :D

Eye mystery, as far as Joker at least, solved.

ap_20090404011718813.jpg.jpg

Only a small portion of the hair comes away at the back of the head. Further details unknown, but it seems not the whole hair piece like Enterbay.

2nd image down in the right column of square shots shows a missing section in the back of the head.

It shows that Hot Toys is not complacent in their effort to improve their product. With every release you see improvement in their work, be it in their sculpt, tailoring, etc. To me, HT is the best in the business so far.

Sideshow star wars was the product that had me started in this 1/6th collecting hobby. Theirs were the best at that time to me, in terms of affordability and quality. But their uninspiring product, the buck body, the stiff boots that hinders ankle articulation, etc. really shows sign of complacency when handle Hot Toys Batman OC. I love sideshow I do, but they have to work really hard in improving their pro body, footwear, sculpt and paint quality to stay at the top of this 1/6 business.

I think the MMS DX is great for collector's especially if they go back to improve or re-release highly sought after figures. This somewhat sucks for people who have the original versions, but those late in the game, they can finally own a figure at a reasonable price without paying high ebay prices.

They need to release the following for their DX line: Robocop DX (more accurate colors), ED-209 with out the rotting rubber and moving toes, and Cain! I think if they did that everyone would be happy :joy

If they want to make collectibles they should only make the limit that. It's limit. No more.

No second run, no reissue, no revisit, no improvements. It's collectible because it's limited. A snapshot of 1/6th technology at the time. Make it and make it the best it can be, for that run. Do a DX of another figure, a figure that might warrant it. A DX of a new licence. Make the DX's the primary character/s, and the secondary figures the regulars.

Double dipping sucks.

It's so funny how people get upset when a company tries to make money. As someone who has always been an early adopter (technology, toys etc.) I accept the fact that bigger and possibly better will always follow my initial purchase. It happened with the iPhone. Was I upset when the new cheaper one came out? NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! I paid a premium for owning the iPhone earlier and never regretted it. When the new one came out, I gave my old one to my dad and bought the upgrade.

Hot Toys isn't a charitable organization trying to help those in need. They are a company that wants to get the most out of a license that they've spent a lot of money on.

I honestly think the DX line is a direct result of the quality of figures being released by Enterbay. Hot Toys is trying to add some features and expand into an even more niche market. I personally think it's great.

If you don't want to buy the figure, don't. I remember when Lucas released Star Wars for the umpteenth time to dvd. He finally relented to fans and added the original, pre-special edition versions as a bonus. In this case they were 4:3 and pretty crappy quality. Now I know for a fact that HD prints of the original trilogy have been cut and broadcast in Europe. Lucas decided not to give us those versions, so I boycotted the release. No problem.

At least HT is upgrading the release.:D

It's so funny how people get upset when a company tries to make money. As someone who has always been an early adopter (technology, toys etc.) I accept the fact that bigger and possibly better will always follow my initial purchase. It happened with the iPhone. Was I upset when the new cheaper one came out? NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! I paid a premium for owning the iPhone earlier and never regretted it. When the new one came out, I gave my old one to my dad and bought the upgrade.

Hot Toys isn't a charitable organization trying to help those in need. They are a company that wants to get the most out of a license that they've spent a lot of money on.

I honestly think the DX line is a direct result of the quality of figures being released by Enterbay. Hot Toys is trying to add some features and expand into an even more niche market. I personally think it's great.

If you don't want to buy the figure, don't. I remember when Lucas released Star Wars for the umpteenth time to dvd. He finally relented to fans and added the original, pre-special edition versions as a bonus. In this case they were 4:3 and pretty crappy quality. Now I know for a fact that HD prints of the original trilogy have been cut and broadcast in Europe. Lucas decided not to give us those versions, so I boycotted the release. No problem.

At least HT is upgrading the release.:D

wow. must be so cool to be you. they release another iphone? fine, i'll buy that one too. another joker? fine, i'll give my old one to my dad. must be cool to be just like you. everyone else in the world are so jealous with envy.

oh pleasee...

get off your high horse! you boycotted lucas's money grubbing scheme, you said. why? precisely because it's a money grubbing scheme. now we see hottoys is doing the same thing. it's perfectly fine if someone wants to voice out his dissaproval.

i love it when a company piss on its customers by releasing a better toy every six months without prior notice, and then someone has the ball to say we should just shut up and take it in our collective butt. what an awesome cool guy.

with hi-tech toys, it's a given that an improvement is always down the line. everyone knows that. cars, plasma, cellphone, same thing. nobody needs to tell you that they will make a better version in 6 months because you know it will happen anyway. but this is a toy. you dont know if they're going to make a better version 6 months down the line, UNLESS the company divulge that information to us. hottoys never gave us that option.

wow. must be so cool to be you. they release another iphone? fine, i'll buy that one too. another joker? fine, i'll give my old one to my dad. must be cool to be just like you. everyone else in the world are so jealous with envy.

oh pleasee...

get off your high horse! you boycotted lucas's money grubbing scheme, you said. why? precisely because it's a money grubbing scheme. now we see hottoys is doing the same thing. it's perfectly fine if someone wants to voice out his dissaproval.

Oh look cr' is back to flame and tell someone to get off their high horse. What a surprise!

Eh, if you don't like the newer release, or the idea of it, don't buy and don't support their behavior. Whining won't do any good at this point. Conversely, you could re-sell the original Joker right now, and you would probably get nearly enough money to cover the new one.

i love it when a company piss on its customers by releasing a better toy every six months without prior notice, and then someone has the ball to say we should just shut up and take it in our collective butt. what an awesome cool guy.

with hi-tech toys, it's a given that an improvement is always down the line. everyone knows that. cars, plasma, cellphone, same thing. nobody needs to tell you that they will make a better version in 6 months because you know it will happen anyway. but this is a toy. you dont know if they're going to make a better version 6 months down the line, UNLESS the company divulge that information to us. hottoys never gave us that option.

Wow, that's crazy. So, a representative from Hot Toys actually came to your house and put a gun to your head forcing you to buy their products. You should report them to the police. That's just insane:rolleyes:

Holy macorel, I think i've in some way come across most of your 99 posts here and I really can't remember even one of them reflecting anything remotely positive.

Its always refreshing to have a newb perspective here. Rock on brutha. :rolleyes:

People like you seem to be forgetting that Hot Toys does movie licenses, and movies have sequels, and everytime there's a sequel they release a far superior version of the same lead character(s). DX is presumably for superior versions of characters who won't be returning, so that Hot Toys and the customers still have a second chance to do better.

I don't see it as pissing on their customers, but rather delivering a superior product to those of us who didn't feel the first version was worthy of purchasing. If you were satisfied enough with the first two figures to pay for them, then you should be no less satisfied with them now. If their value to you is so easily depreciated, then perhaps you need to be more critical of where you spend your money.

Last edited:
Back