Hot Toys - MMS179 - The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havent got my figure yet, but can I confirm something before I get it and break it.

The housing of the shoulder joint with screws on it actually sits within the upper chest cavity correct (one on either side)? So if it's inside the cavity, how do we hold it? Do we just use thumb and forefinger to press the chest area that surrounds the shoulder joint housing to keep it in place? Does that mean the chest cavity on top of that shoulder joint area is not a hard plastic but is semi-rigid?

Yes, hold it with 2 fingers to help brace it(on the body itself), so your not depending on the small piece of plastic

The shoulder joint itself is solid and can make almost any pose

Last edited:
I havent got my figure yet, but can I confirm something before I get it and break it.

The housing of the shoulder joint with screws on it actually sits within the upper chest cavity correct (one on either side)? So if it's inside the cavity, how do we hold it? Do we just use thumb and forefinger to press the chest area that surrounds the shoulder joint housing to keep it in place? Does that mean the chest cavity on top of that shoulder joint area is not a hard plastic but is semi-rigid?

Bandito has diagramed it beautifully on how to hold it a couple pages back.

I also showed the way I moved mine as well.

I've put my Spidey through the ringer of poses now, the shoulders have been through a tremendous stress and workout, and I can tell you guys everything is still tight and solid since the day I took it out of the box last week, especially the shoulders. In other words, when I grab it now to pose it feels like I'm posing it for the very first time...incredible that I can say this.

Don't be afraid, btw, it has taken many falls off the shelf sometimes from the poses not setting right at first, but that's easily fixed thereafter and the only thing that fell off was the head, which makes sense since it's removable.

Last edited:
Bandito has diagramed it beautifully on how to hold it a couple pages back.

I also showed the way I moved mine as well.

I've put my Spidey through the ringer of poses now, the shoulders have been through a tremendous stress and workout, and I can tell you guys everything is still tight and solid since the day I took it out of the box last week, especially the shoulders. In other words, when I grab it now to pose it feels like I'm posing it for the very first time...incredible that I can say this.

Don't be afraid, btw, it has taken many falls off the shelf sometimes from the poses not setting right at first, but that's easily fixed thereafter and the only thing that fell off was the head, which makes sense since it's removable.

Great pose!

Love the jacket I found. Fits really well. Also found a black backpack which is the closest I'm going to get until Toystrike or somebody else creates an accessory kit for him. Only other thing I may try to do is find some lighter colored jeans to break up the black on black.

Guyver, what stand are you using to pose him?

Looks like a Mattel 12' supes stand

The point is that the joint is made cheaply and not to last, and the people happy with it have learned how to handle it despite it being an inferior made joint. If you support this by buying it, you're sending a message to Hot Toys "You can make the joints cheap so they break and we won't require you to build a better figure, we'll bend over backwards while you... I wont' use the word I'd like to here... us and we will continue to buy your product and support your good looking, inferior quality product.

If that's what you guys want, more power to you - I won't argue it. It's simply supply and demand, and if you guys don't have a problem with it that's your business. I won't be a participant myself, that's all. I like the look of the figure, its very cool, and I have to admit that even though I thought the teaser pics looked more like Andrew Garfield, I can see looking at pictures of the actor that the release version actually does look like him more, even if the prototype looked more like my impressions of him. So, looks great, but if you're going to buy a cool looking vehicle, you'd want to be sure there's a cool engine under the hood too, right? Granted, I don't play with these figures, but knowing its built inferior so that it has to be handled in a way that, frankly, it shouldn't have to be... in my book, it is a dud even though it looks amazing. Its an amazing dud, I'll leave it at that.

I get your point. But isn't every Hot Toy plagued by something fragile? It seems to be part and parcel of the high end collectible game. Either it's delicate paint that rubs, a piece of clothing or metal that breaks easily, something that takes specific and delicate use such as Loki's helmet. Sure, it shouldn't be a joint, and no I don't think it's good to have a joint prone to easy breakage, but like you said, ppl have figured out how to handle it properly. All toys have a proper way to handle it and an improper way. With this, that tolerance is a bit on the low end, which sucks, but I don't necessarily see it is as too different than any of the other finicky problems, like needing to tilt the head of a figure with hair before turning it to avoid paint rubbing. If this joint just broke no matter how you used it, that would be inexcusable, but it simply needing to be handled a certain way isn't as bothersome to me on it's surface as it is to you and others. It's clearly a newer design HT is using. If people complain enough and give negative reviews and feedback about it, even while people are buying it, odds are HT will move on to a new design.

Last edited:
As messed up as it is, this is still a great figure, even with broken shoulders
I have to do the exact same things to pose it,as if it wasn't broken
After having both(medi and ht)in hand, this is the amazing spidey fig to get, even with its shortcomings
Probably going to throw my medi up on eBay

But, I agree with the post above, my 89 Keaton ankle broke, supes emblem is coming off on one corner, etc

A question: Was how to handle the figure shoulders included in the instructions, or not? If so, then I retract what I said about the shoulders, if they at least informed the customers then ok that makes it not so bad. IF they didn't, the customers shouldn't be the ones trouble-shooting the product by finding out how not to handle it - the hard way

My figure hasn't arrived yet, but from what I've seen on here, Hot Toys included a piece of paper with a diagram, instructing to not rotate the shoulders higher than 80 degrees or something like that. But it doesn't seem like that really addresses or prevents the issue, because the people who have broken shoulders are all saying that theirs broke way before they got to that 80 degree point.

1476138_10151827733793528_1983314527_n.jpg

now we wait for his head...I already have the scratchless one coming

My figure hasn't arrived yet, but from what I've seen on here, Hot Toys included a piece of paper with a diagram, instructing to not rotate the shoulders higher than 80 degrees or something like that. But it doesn't seem like that really addresses or prevents the issue, because the people who have broken shoulders are all saying that theirs broke way before they got to that 80 degree point.

It's not the side lateral movement that going to break it, it's the front to back that will

Back