Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem is , a lot of fans didn’t want their hero to be human.....

I was fine with it, I liked it actually. But I understand the idea of why people did not.

I just don’t understand a single film destroying your love of a franchise. Even if the characters didn’t end up where you wanted them to. It snows not take away from their achievements.

If an astronaut ends up homeless and estranged from his family....does that make his accomplishment any less?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me the fact we're encountering Han, Luke and Leia in their 60s and 70s, after clearly being through many more adventures and hardships, makes all the difference. If this was all taking place only 10 or 20 years after ROTJ (when most of the EU was set), I could understand the criticisms a lot better. But we're well past those years now so it's much easier for me to accept them as changed people.

To me the fact we're encountering Han, Luke and Leia in their 60s and 70s, after clearly being through many more adventures and hardships, makes all the difference. If this was all taking place only 10 or 20 years after ROTJ (when most of the EU was set), I could understand the criticisms a lot better. But we're well past those years now so it's much easier for me to accept them as changed people.

Same here.

My sentiments as well.

This is why I feel that they should have adapted far more material from the EU than they did.
Particularly concerning the Skywalker/Solo progeny (Jacen, Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker)
Any new character flaw or changed could have been explored that probably
wouldn't have sully any type of character arc presented in the OT for those taking an issue
with the characterizations of this new series. Truth be told, I would actually care alot more
about the key players had they opted for the EU route purely by the familial ties.

Last edited:
It was truly horrendous but does not affect how I view the OT. I'm done with the sequels and anything involving Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson though.

It’s actually a really sad day when I realize that I will not be purchasing the next Star Wars film to add to my collection. And honest to God I have absolutely no interest in any figures from TLJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here it does suck.

I hope this does release this month or next that would be great. This may end up being a double purchase. I like both the cloaked look and also the throne room look.

TLJ broke whatever spell Star Wars had on me for 40 years. I can’t even watch the original trilogy now without thinking of where the characters end up.

I need to call about canceling this one. :(

Why would you let that TLJ Force abominaton affects buying this Luke...come on its Jedi Luke!

I dont ever bother with those Sequels and consider none of them belong to SW universe

Just as I never bought into the reality that Darth Vader started out as a whiny mushroom-top TV commercials kid who hung out with Greedo, I didn't buy into the reality that Luke ended up a cowardly bitter dude with a dyed beard who sucks green milk and fights his battles as a hologram.

These spinoff products are fun to look at, but I'm really not sure how I'm supposed to relate them to the timeless story of the classic trilogy. These products won't be widely watched in a decade, so just be ahead of the crowd and do it now. :dunno

Pretty much how i feel. I think another one of the reasons i did not have any issues with most of TLJ is i love the Star Wars Universe more than any single character. I was hooked as soon as that Star Destroyer took over the screen in 1977 before i had even had seen a single person.

I'm with ya. It's a great movie, just not a great Star Wars movie (or not a great second-parter).

It missed the mark completely. 30 minutes of canto bight (so we can see why rich people suck, animal cruelty is bad, and broom boy is the future) and less than 30 milliseconds of Luke emoting Hans death. Hmm.

They made Luke a flawed character. I don't see anything wrong with that. I commend them for it. I especially liked the scene of Luke standing over Kylo when showed from their different perspectives.

I felt Luke was Always a flawed character... his plan to save Leia on the Death Star led to Obi Wan’s death, he almost died on Hoth instead of staying in the shelter of the Wampa cave, he didn’t listen to Yoda on Dagobah, left his training only to fail on Bespin, devised one heck of a convoluted plan to steal Han from Jabba, endangered the mission on Endor and ultimately failed in the throne room. His near death at the hands of the Emperor is what turned Vader, not any direct action of his own doing. Nothing but flaws, it’s what made him interesting.

Flawed is fine. Gives character depth. Should have used same blueprint on Rey. She could have used a flaw or two.

I felt Luke was Always a flawed character... his plan to save Leia on the Death Star led to Obi Wan’s death, he almost died on Hoth instead of staying in the shelter of the Wampa cave, he didn’t listen to Yoda on Dagobah, left his training only to fail on Bespin, devised one heck of a convoluted plan to steal Han from Jabba, endangered the mission on Endor and ultimately failed in the throne room. His near death at the hands of the Emperor is what turned Vader, not any direct action of his own doing. Nothing but flaws, it’s what made him interesting.

Flawed sure. But he would never consider murdering his nephew while he slept. And if he felt Leia was in danger or even just needed help he wouldn't shrug his shoulders and continue hermiting on an island. I could go on, but why?

Flawed sure. But he would never consider murdering his nephew while he slept. And if he felt Leia was in danger or even just needed help he wouldn't shrug his shoulders and continue hermiting on an island. I could go on, but why?

It’s almost as iffy plot wise as not buying the freedom of the mother of the boy who flew into the Trade Federation commandship and essentially won the war on your planet, leaving him afraid for her safety throughout his childhood and eventually finding her tortured and dying, leading to his fear of losing his wife and being seduced to the dark side...

Of all the things that happen in the SW universe that’s the thing that has always just left me stupefied.

I also have a strong emotional attachment to the OT and the characters therein. No film before or after those three can make me feel any different about them.

Why not though? Luke raged against his own father when threatening to turn Leia to the darkside. Why, if he could saw the potential of what Kylo would become, could he not rage too? Luke physically went against his feelings the turned down after severing Vader’s hand. At least he backed down after only igniting his saber for Kylo. Although it was too late. As for Leia, if you’re referring to when she was hurt when blasted in space, I’m sure he knew she’d be fine. He knew she had the force as he stated in ROTJ. She did recover quickly and how crazy would it be if Luke helped her out in space? Problem is we think we know Luke from three movies but we never saw Luke in his prime. Everyone wanted to see Luke in his prime and the ST tells us his prime was teaching. Nothing else. We cannot assume Luke will be a savior any more than a role like Old Ben. And now that he’s older and so many years have passed he can’t be the hero anymore. Although he did be a hero and a savior one last time. Just people wanted and expected more.

One could say he would have never consider murdering his nephew. Another could say that he gave into his impulsive nature which has failed him in the past or that what he tried to do was justified considering the terrible future he foresaw. I don't like to go on about it but I loved the restrained direction Rian took with Luke.

Also, Luke does help Leia?

Just for the record, I thought the milking scene and some of the Canto-Bight stuff felt like the weird and sci-fi Star Wars I know compared to that cave scene with Rey or Holdo's sacrifice which is an insult to the lore. Out of all the things that went wrong, I can't believe people are nit-picking on the stuff that IMO they did well.

But back on topic, do you guys think HT added those extra gloved hands?

Last edited:

Because if your goal is to make a convincing case, it helps to provide examples that buttress your point as opposed to essentially saying "this is how it was supposed to be, end of story."

If your perceived vision of Luke Skywalker's character arc after 30+ years would never consider murdering his nephew, that's fine. But for others, it made sense. Your perceived version isn't the objective "right" way, and vice versa.

I think there are examples in the film that support good arguments on both sides as to why how he was handled in TLJ was or wasn't in line with his character in the OT. I can make a case for either if needed be. Though I personally thought Luke's character was the only main shining thing about TLJ. I feel it worked.

It seems like people keep forgetting how we already saw Luke completely lose control and fly into a rage at the end of ROTJ, after Vader's suggestion that he might turn Leia to the dark side. It was only after pummeling the living crap out of Vader and slicing off his hand that Luke saw what he was starting to become and finally pulled back.

All I see in TLJ is that same kind of thing happening again, where Luke gives in to his fear and anger after having a vision of a murdering, psychopathic Ben Solo, before quickly pulling himself back. And the idea that Luke never had another moment of weakness like that after ROTJ just seems silly to me.

Back