Hot Toys new Superman teaser... he's coming guys!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No way it's 28,000 yen. That's like $300 + isn't it?

edit: Just did the calc. If that price is correct it would be $341 US dollars. No way that's accurate, unless they've lost their minds.

edit: Just did the calc. If that price is correct it would be $341 US dollars. No way that's accurate, unless they've lost their minds.

Well if thats the case i'd only be interested in buying one. What a joke to be honest IF this is legit.

Stated pricing of HT JP...retailers in Japan would sale it at 20-25% off...

as a guide as Mk. V, AU Mk. 2, Mk. 6 (non-exclusive) is priced as such. Average those 3 figure's price... you get a rough pricing of CR Supes.. USD 210

HT's "MSRP" prices always seem to be much higher than what anyone actually has to pay right out the gate--as evidenced by the fact that these prices are similar to the pre-order prices for Mark V, VI, and II, which are (were) around $200 from most retailers here in the states.

About the price I would expect, assuming he's a bare bones Superman without any Kent stuff or extra sculpt(s).

COMP02.jpg
rocklean2.jpg

Now compare the Christopher Reeve pictures together

I would say that 9 years* must separate these two pictures and one is a publicity photo (retouched, so) and the other one is a shot of the shoot, so apart from the grain of the image and a few wrinkles moreover, it is still the same face, even if it was slightly slurred with time... Correct?
Anyway, the features that characterize Reeves remain unchanged.
By the way, do we know from which opus of movies HT do they refer? The first one?
I think it would be better to wait for shots better quality before deciding.

(*) Superman (1978) / Superman IV (1987)

Well if thats the case i'd only be interested in buying one. What a joke to be honest IF this is legit.

They probably saw the people here paying $300+ for customs and thought, well why can't we. They'll pay it. Hence figures now cost beyond $200. One time only a DX was on the $200 mark.

HT's "MSRP" prices always seem to be much higher than what anyone actually has to pay right out the gate--as evidenced by the fact that these prices are similar to the pre-order prices for Mark V, VI, and II, which are (were) around $200 from most retailers here in the states.

About the price I would expect, assuming he's a bare bones Superman without any Kent stuff or extra sculpt(s).

My guess from the start was $189. I Hope its around there.

They probably saw the people here paying $300+ for customs and thought, well why can't we. They'll pay it. Hence figures now cost beyond $200. One time only a DX was on the $200 mark.

Yeah maybe one day but for now thats a huge leap.

going by RRAAYY statement of it being 28k yen...

The price: AU Mk.2/Mk. V/Mk. VI pricing..... so well above USD200.

That doesn't sound right. The IM armor series with all the tooling and little parts I can understand being over $200, but a cloth figure going for over $200? :cuckoo:

:cuckoo:

Superman Returns suit was one of the darkest time in Superman history. :slap

Wish I had one of the suits so I could burn the God Damn Thing.

The suit isnt perfect by any means but it had a certain "real world" sense to it.
As much as a costume like Supermans can have anyway that has it's underwear on the outside.
That is to say, given the design parameters that everyone was familiar with (cape,briefs,"S" shield),
trying to keep that plus make it an alien material and not cheap spandex as well as tone down the garrish cartoon colors, they succeeded imo.
I wouldve made the boots taller, the "S" shield a tad bigger and put the the yellow "S"back on the cape.
Perhaps its the way it was filmed but the colors seem darker than the publicity shots.
The colors still look more than vibrant enough.
I really dont think the fans would be very happy with a Superman suit as Reeve wore in a modern cinema version of the man of steel.
It was almost all spandex!
Cavill will most likely wear a suit closer to the Returns version than the Reeves version soooo,.
Costume fabrication tech has come alooong waaay, it should be utilized to make our comic icons look as good as possible while respecting the historical designs.

Last edited:
That doesn't sound right. The IM armor series with all the tooling and little parts I can understand being over $200, but a cloth figure going for over $200? :cuckoo:
There's more to price of a figure than the engineering and complexity of it. License factors in. Popularity seems to factor in. Otherwise, it is very difficult to understand the Lee DX for $200 while Indy DX goes for $250. T1 T-800 went for nearly $200.

I wonder how the suit's going to handle all the possible poses?

I would say that 9 years* must separate these two pictures and one is a publicity photo (retouched, so) and the other one is a shot of the shoot, so apart from the grain of the image and a few wrinkles moreover, it is still the same face, even if it was slightly slurred with time... Correct?
Anyway, the features that characterize Reeves remain unchanged.
By the way, do we know from which opus of movies HT do they refer? The first one?
I think it would be better to wait for shots better quality before deciding.

(*) Superman (1978) / Superman IV (1987)

This is what I've been saying all along, compare that last frontal pic from the sculpt, and we'll see that the sculpt needs to have the eyes, forehead, and mouth tweaked, just a little bit. Just those three for the face, and we all will see the 'perfect' Chris Reeve sculpt, JMHO.

Then, raise his shoulders, and use a bigger body, then we'll see a 'perfect' Chris Reeve physique, still JMHO.

Blah. I guess I'll stomach the price tag for this release.

Which is exactly what they thought I would say. I hate feeling taken advantage of.

The suit isnt perfect by any means but it had a certain "real world"sense to it.
As much as a costume like Supermans can have anyway(that has it's underwear on the outside).
That is to say, given the design parameters that everyone was familiar with (cape,briefs,"S" shield),
trying to keep that plus make it an alien material and not cheap spandex as well as tone down the garrish cartoon colors, they succeeded imo.
I wouldve made the boots taller, the "S" shield a tad bigger and put the the yellow "S"back on the cape.
Perhaps its the way it was filmed but the colors seem darker than the publicity shots.
The colors still look more than vibrant enough.
I really dont think the fans would be very happy with a Superman suit as Reeve wore in a modern cinema version of the man of steel.
It was almost all spandex!
Cavill will most likely wear a suit closer to the Returns version than the Reeves version soooo,.
Costume fabrication tech has come alooong waaay, it should be utilized to make our comic icons as
good as possible while respecting the historical designs.

UGH.

Superman is not real world. I can't stand when people try to give there idea of what he would look like if he was real. He is a Comic Book these movies are based off Comic Books. FAKE..

I want my Superman to jump out of the comic book not out of someone mind. So help me god if they take liberties like they did with the Superman Returns suit in the new film ill loose my damn mind.

considering it will come with no accessories....I mean seriously what could it come with? If it's $210 then it better come with an entire Clark Kent outfit....

COMP02.jpg
rocklean2.jpg

Now compare the Christopher Reeve pictures together

This is what I've been saying all along. Compare that last frontal pic against the sculpt, and we'll see that just a little tweak of the eyes, just a little more forehead, and just a little stretch of the mouth, and we'll get the 'perfect' Chris Reeve face.

And raise the shoulders, use a bigger body, and we'll see the 'perfect' Chris Reeve physique, JMHO...

There's more to price of a figure than the engineering and complexity of it. License factors in. Popularity seems to factor in. Otherwise, it is very difficult to understand the Lee DX for $200 while Indy DX goes for $250. T1 T-800 went for nearly $200.

I have a hard time believing that the DC license and Mr. Reeve's Estate warrants that much more for a non-DX figure. Granted, prices have been rising all year so far, but this would be unprecedented. We're talking over $200 for a cloth, non-DX figure. We're just pretending the number is real right now, but if it turns out to be real, then that's really over the line, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back