Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone confirmed the robes can be futzed to the floor while Palps is sitting to cover the dangling feet issue?

If they can't, it's kind of a more serious issue if you're using Palps/throne as a "centerpiece" display (vs more background) because it'll be really obvious. And who's going to actually get out a hacksaw and cut the support post down? It'll fix the feet issue, but it'll create another problem - the throne will visibly sit too close to the floor vs how its supposed to look onscreen.

As someone mentioned, the problem is that it's clear the throne's cushioning was pretty soft so Palps sunk down quite a bit when he sat, so HT should have had a regular cushion base piece and also a "Palps sitting" piece, kinda the way they do hat/helmet-on hair and no-hat/helmet hair on figs like farmboy Luke.

Lot of gripes about the chair version but wait a couple years and see what it's selling for. Can already hear the crying about eBay scalpers and how people "missed out".

lol isnt that always the case with almost everything 1/6? (*except the Force Awakens troops of course)

Quite simply they screwed up.

The base being off is inexcusable. But I am sure they didn’t bother to fix it because of the expense involved.

Looks like the issue was no where near a problem at SDCC.

84347ff2cba54d616837c13a46bf7e08.jpeg

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I still maintain the conviction that given the sculpt expression and the feet not touching the floor issue with the throne, these are the two poses that will probably get the most out of the figure, where he would look the best:

E161E0F0-3F10-45B7-8BD8-9DF7BBB1B68A.jpeg
7082D444-E26C-4D1C-8E8D-8F06C6DB5B90.jpeg

68DFC645-BFC8-4BF2-A054-3A8B94125B46.jpeg
8A014BD7-B818-40FD-9983-A68E16BF5A86.jpeg

The second one is based on when he was grinning and walking after Vader threw his saber at the catwalk Luke was standing on. You couldn’t see his entire body, but you could tell that’s the pose he was doing with his hands raised a bit in front of him.

Quite simply they screwed up.

The base being off is inexcusable. But I am sure they didn’t bother to fix it because of the expense involved.

Looks like the issue was no where near a problem at SDCC.

84347ff2cba54d616837c13a46bf7e08.jpeg

Ah! see? that's how it should look!

Must have been when it had a taller body and longer robe.

Yeah, maybe swapping him onto a taller body might help, but if you look at full body shots of the existing figure the head may be too small for a body that's the 1/2"+ taller it needs to be to fix the dangling issue.

Also, you want a body that's longer in the legs and not so much in the torso because otherwise his head will get too close to the overhang part above. A Palps that's 1/2" or more taller might look a bit odd next to other figs if you choose to pose him standing after a while.

No easy solutions to the dangling feet thing, either by tweaking the throne or the figure.:(

Random thought for a chair solution...

I know nothing about the custom market or sculpting, but if anyone was talented/inspired enough to make simply a shorter replacement base, even a 3d print on shapeways, I'm sure they would make a mint. I have no desire to chop up the base (and probably would mess it up horribly) but it would be pretty cool to still have the light up features of the Hot Toys chair and a custom made chair base

Random thought for a chair solution...

I know nothing about the custom market or sculpting, but if anyone was talented/inspired enough to make simply a shorter replacement base, even a 3d print on shapeways, I'm sure they would make a mint. I have no desire to chop up the base (and probably would mess it up horribly) but it would be pretty cool to still have the light up features of the Hot Toys chair and a custom made chair base

I sculpt and paint so I can easily saw off and resculpt the base on mine when it arrives, which is exactly what I'm gonna do. Good ol' Apoxie Sculpt is what I'll use. Then I'll repaint the base of the throne with black acrylic paint. Boom. Problem solved. Palpatine's feet on the floor while he chills on his throne.

I think the chair pedestal is sunk down in that old con pic. Look how close the chair base is to the floor.

Is anyone who was originally planning on getting the throne dropping it due to the fact his feet don’t touch the floor? Does it bother anyone enough to change their mind?

Seems pretty silly to me.

This piece needs to get into the hands of the guys who fix things around here, that's all.

Last edited:
Has anyone confirmed the robes can be futzed to the floor while Palps is sitting to cover the dangling feet issue?

If they can't, it's kind of a more serious issue if you're using Palps/throne as a "centerpiece" display (vs more background) because it'll be really obvious. And who's going to actually get out a hacksaw and cut the support post down? It'll fix the feet issue, but it'll create another problem - the throne will visibly sit too close to the floor vs how its supposed to look onscreen.

As someone mentioned, the problem is that it's clear the throne's cushioning was pretty soft so Palps sunk down quite a bit when he sat, so HT should have had a regular cushion base piece and also a "Palps sitting" piece, kinda the way they do hat/helmet-on hair and no-hat/helmet hair on figs like farmboy Luke.

Does anyone know if the purple seat cushion is a separate glued in piece or is it molded with the chair and painted purple?

Anyone with the throne, please check on this.

I can foresee OCD insanity as some Freak takes a dremmel to the throne cushions to accommodate Palp's butt... then learns a simple trick a week later from Matrix69. :lol

I really wish the regular came with the lightsaber hilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to go chairless....then I thought I should just get the deluxe....now I read the chair is screwed up and is too high...

I “may” put the effort into a resin cast of the base with shortened peg. I have to see what I would be working with.

I could offer some to the freaks....I would need to gauge the cost/time factor....and of course interest.

Would be a straight forward recast of the part with a cut down peg, and basic paint.

Back